1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football advice thread [2018-19]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YOLO, Aug 2, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed. Ryan is one of my targets, along with Rivers and maybe Stafford. All hopefully will be available late. I'd love to have Watson again (had him last year before the injury, huge points) but not at 3 or 4 where he is getting drafted. Much rather spend those early picks on RBs and WRs.

2. NewRoxFan

@moestavern19 and others... thoughts on Jimmy Garoppolo? Seems to have good tools around him (Goodwin, Garcon, Taylor, Pettis, McKinnon, Kittle) and a good coach. Would you group with Luck, Stafford, Rivers, Ryan?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't see why he can't be in that group but I think he is being overvalued. If the others guys in a similar range will be available for peanuts, then it doesn't make sense to assume that there are more TD catches among that group than say Detroit or San Diego where you have more established receivers.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

This league had more drama... last minute mistake by commish and the draft order was resorted. I moved to 9, a few players were swapped out of top 4, and the commish went from #1 to #4 (best possible place). Oh well.

Here's my team:
    1. Barkley
    2. Gordon,
    3 Mixon (Hill, Diggs, Thielen, and Hilton all went before me).
    4. Smith-Schuster
    5. B. Cooks,
    6. Marvin Jones
    7. Burton (Goodwin just went before me),
    8. Kerryon Johnson,
    9. Luck (after two QB runs, took the gamble),
    10. E. Sanders,
    11. Saints (after big run of DSTs, only PIT, CAR and NE left).
    12. Michel (even I didn't like that pick... probably will drop and grab Stills or Golladay).
    13. Harrison Butker (after two big runs on K's including my favorite Lutz)
    14. Anthony Miller (Mike Williams went just before).

Yahoo will give me a terrible grade (past two years I got C-'s). I just hope to get in playoffs...

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well you didnt completely **** it up. WRs are rough. Excellent #2s but no #1s. I feel like your RB corps is one of the strongest in the league. Michel fell that low? Crazy.

Love the Burton pick. Excellent upside to be top 5 TE.

I think you will be in a good position to use an RB to land a better WR.

primtim24 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

Yea, once the draft position move and Barkley dropped to me I should have ignored my plan going in (draft two RBs) and went with a WR. Then when I go to the third pick Mixon was so much better than the WRs I was pretty much in a bad place. DT, Arob, and Cooper would have been better picks. I never root for injuries (and gee, have I gotten them the past two years) but having more RBs than the other teams does seem to be an advantage. Hopefully someone in the league will be willing to make a trade this year.

I had been targeting David Njoku but Burton was there so I grabbed. He seems to be getting loads of targets so far and the coach seems to target TEs.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this. Except with the addition of Calvin Ridley and another year in Sark's offense, I'm targeting Matt Ryan BIG time this season.

Him, Andrew Luck, and for some reason I'm really high on Kirk Cousins as well. For what those guys have done in the past, their going rate is RIDICULOUSLY low.

moestavern19 likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

I would love to hear some thoughts...I drafted 3/10

Here is my team

Rd 1 - Elliot - RB
    Rd 2 - J. Jones - WR
    Rd 3 - Miller - RB
    Rd 4 - Thielen - WR
    Rd 5- Hyde - RB
    Rd 6 - Olson - TE
    Rd 7 - R. Wilson - QB
    Rd 8 - A. Jeffrey - WR
    Rd 9 - M. Mack - RB
    Rd 10 - J. Tucker - K
    Rd 11 - S. Perine - RB
    Rd 12 - K. Golloway - WR
    Rd 13 - New Orleans Defense
    Rd 14 - D. Martin - RB
    Rd 15 - J. Goff - QB

I tried to snatch up as many guys I thought would be the #1 RB on their team as I could (Elliot, Miller, Hyde and Mack and maybe Perine)

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

why you care what Yahoo grades you?, its the same with the projected points, I dont listen to them, the grades are based on last year, mostly, what they did last year, except for the rookies of course, I think you did good, nice team!

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I went pretty homer this year... Took Lamar Miller in the 5th, grabbed Watson in the 6th.. I couldnt help it. It's a PPR league so I think miller will be okay, hes my flex anyways.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Would also love to hear thoughts.

My team:

1. David Johnson
    2. Rob Gronkowski
    3. Joe Mixon
    4. Derrick Henry
    5. Lamar Miller
    6. Deshaun Watson
    7. Michael Crabtree
    8. Pierre Garcon
    9. Carson Wentz
    10. Sterling Shepherd
    11. Carlos Hyde
    12. Danny Amendola
    13. LA Rams
    14. Calvin Ridley
    15. Greg Zuerlein
    16. Donte Moncrief

I think I failed at WR, hoping to trade Wentz or Watson for a good receiver in a couple weeks.. Our draft order is based on a beer pong tourney and shots/drinkin, so usually by round 4-5 Im pretty gone.

12. NewRoxFan

Thanks. I really don't... its a running joke. And btw way they gave me a C+. And they projected me to lose week 1. I lost last year in first round of POs due to a Lutz FG that was wiped out by an OL penalty. I won the consolation bracket, winning each game by 40+ and had the most points overall. Despite a C- grade. :cool:

I do know I am unbalanced but I went into the draft planning to go RB early and heavy. I also thought WRs were deeper and I had hoped to get a balanced group of WRs (possession, deep, and a good share of slot receivers). The downside of a 10 game league everyone has good rosters. But if I get a break or two I should be OK. Biggest worry... Luck. I debated drafting a backup like Dak or Bortles, just in case. But figure I can stream at worst.

13. NewRoxFan

How many teams?

You got one of the 3 top RBs, the best TE, a top 3 QB and a good backup. Top 3 D and top 3 kicker. You have two low-end WR1s so hard to complain.

14. NewRoxFan

Miller was decent when Watson started so he is a good pick.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah definitely could use an upgrade at wr as you dont have any wr1's. you have depth at rb to get one along with your suggestion of one of the qb's

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

10 teams. Yea, all I am worried about is WR. Hoping to flip one of the RB1s for a WR. Would you guys trade Carlos Hyde for Jordy Nelson?

17. NewRoxFan

Had Jordy last year. So you can guess what my vote will be. Though Hyde has looked good in in preseason... you are good at RB but is Jordy an upgrade over Crabtree and Garcon?

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don't know how much of an upgrade he will be, but I don't know when I would play Hyde over Miller, Johnson, Mixon, Henry..

19. NewRoxFan

That's true... perhaps you can create a package that gets you a better WR?

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This might be the worst WR corps a 10 team league could possibly field. It isn't that you drafted terrible WRs, you just drafted the same type of receiver that limits your potential to score a lot of points.

Garcon, Shepherd, Amendola are all low-ceiling picks. Crabtree has to deal with either awful Flacco at QB, or wildly inaccurate rookie Jackson.

Amendola isn't even draftable IMO unless full point PPR and even then it is a stretch. Ridley at least gives you some upside, but he's not going to be the #1 target unless Julio dies. Moncrief is WR4 in Jacksonville. He won't give you anything unless guys get hurt. He could also very possibly be cut. That might actually work out better for you if he does get cut and ends up in a better spot.

I would try and package Wentz immediately which will be tough since he may not even be ready for Week 1 and will probably need a few warm up games on that injured knee.

Trading Hyde for Jordy would be a good idea IMO. Carr tends to favor receivers other than Cooper in the red zone and Jordy is a maven there.

On the plus side, you should have a distinct advantage at QB-TE weekly, but you're going to need to find startable WRs quickly.

What WRs are available on your wire?

I would drop Amendola and Moncrief immediately for higher upside WRs. Any of the other Jags WRs would be better. Lee, Cole (My favorite), Westbrook. Look for Antonio Callaway, Michael Gallup, Taywan Taylor, Christian Kirk, Mike Williams, etc.

#60 moestavern19, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    houstonstime likes this.