1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fanstar Baseball Keeper League Check In

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Mar 4, 2010.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

http://www.fantasybaseballsite.com/baseball/clutchcity/

Okay folks. It’s almost time once again for another wonderful season of keeper fantasy baseball. The site has already been paid for and active since the end of last season. $7 chipped in from everyone should cover the costs (paypal it over to me when you get the chance – to my hotmail address, please).

Here's a list of the current crew:

SamCassell
    chrisjent
    PhiSlammaJamma
    Rocketball
    LonghornFan
    SmeggySmeg
    DarkHorse
    fadeaway

I’m going to assume that everyone is coming back to play again this season. If not, then please let me know ASAP. As far as changes from last year’s format, I was hoping for a bit more discussion at the end of last year, but thanks to those few who did respond. I have thought things through and assuming that everyone doesn't freak out about it too much, here are the changes that will come into effect starting this season:

1. 6 players will be kept.

2. Starting lineups will expand. This is to address the scarcity (or lack thereof) issue in our small sized league. Overall roster size will increase by 5 in order to accommodate these changes (and the draft will be extended accordingly). New starting positions are in bold:

C
    1B
    2B
    3B
    SS
    UI
    CI (1B or 3B)
    MI (SS or 2B)
    5 OF (up from previous total of 4)

The SP games limit has been upped by 30 to a new maximum of 185. This will result in approximately 1 extra SP per real 7-day week on average (or 0.5 extra SPs per split week game period if you want to look at it that way).

The RP games limit has been upped by 20 to a new maximum of 150. The resulting increase is a bit less than 1 extra RP game per real 7-day week.

3. New keeper restrictions. This is to address the lack of trade activity issue, which is probably the main reason we went to a keeper league format in the first place. Here’s how it will work:

- 2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 4 times
    - 2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 3 times
    - 2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 2 times

Now because I want the trading activity to actually kick in this year and not the next, we are going to assume that each player currently on a roster has already been kept one time. Therefore, once you pick your six keepers just before the 2010 draft, they will be counted as having been kept 2 times. This means that 2 of your 6 keepers will end up ineligible to be kept again in 2011 and must be released into the pool or (hopefully) traded away to another team.

Please respond confirming that you will be playing again (you better!!) and don't forget to PayPal me $7 to help chip in for the league fee when you get the chance. We'll aim to start the draft on March 10th with the keeper declaration deadline being the day before (March 9th)... but really, you can declare keepers anytime before then. Also, if you want to do any pre-draft trades (i.e. trading possible keeper candidates to other teams for draft pick upgrades) that's fine... just be sure to let me know of what draft picks are involved.

I also sent out an e-mail to everyone. Please either respond to that e-mail or post here. I'm looking forward to getting another season underway!

#1 fadeaway, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In, you know it.

3. LonghornFan

Should we post our keepers in this thread or email them to you?

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

in, have little idea of who to keep and don't really like who i should, happy to trade now to shake things up

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

In. So is the starting lineup expanding to account for more SP / RP games? Like, will we be having 8 or 9 pitching spots to use instead of 7? And are we still going with 10 SP games / 2 relievers for the first round, 20 SP games / 2 relievers for the world series?

And I'm not sure I really understand the 2 / 3 / 4 year keeper deal. Basically the best of the best, guys like Pujols and Halladay, can stay as keepers for 2010, and for 2011, and for 2012, but LH is gonna have to trade them away before 2013 or he loses them for nothing? If I traded him Mauer for Pujols in 2012 and then swapped him back in 2013, would both of their timers reset?

6. fadeaway

I wonder if it would be necessary since very rarely does anyone start a full contingent of 7 pitchers in a period, but I don't see any harm in increasing the number to 8 if people want that.

Correct.

Well, theoretically yes, as long as the 2013 trade is made after Mauer and Pujols had already been declared as keepers by different teams (i.e. Longhorn declares Mauer and Sam declares Pujols).

However, if I see something that appears to be a "wink-wink" type of deal designed simply to reset keeper timers, and this one looks a bit fishy to me honestly, I'm going to reserve the right to cancel it. Those types of deals aren't really in line with the spirit of the change, which is to promote player movement. I could design a complicated system of rules to avoid this type of situation, but since this is just a fun non-money league I think I'd rather handle things intuitively on a case-by-case basis.

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am back.............and since I have so many quality keepers I am listening for offers for some of them, you could get a steal right now :grin: .

8. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

I'll be back, but from March 12-20, I'll be working SXSW all day...talking like 10 am - 2 am...so I won't have much, err, any, access to the computer. I don't know how to work it, but if there's a solution, I'm open to it. I could have someone make picks, or try to send an e-mail list once a day once I get home for the evening.

9. fadeaway

Ouch... I would suggest getting a proxy to draft on your behalf. Maybe someone like Ziggy, who is active in other leagues, would be willing to do it for you.

The other option is to create detailed personal rankings for each position and e-mail them, along with a basic master plan (i.e. Round 6: Shortstop, Round 7: RP, etc..) to myself or another league member.

Or you could just designate a single publicized master list (i.e. Yahoo or ESPN's top 500 players) and go straight up best player available.

Anything would be better than constantly having time expire and getting skipped.

10. fadeaway

Just waiting on DarkHorse now. Everyone else has confirmed. Also thanks to PSJ for the $7 payment.

Also, is anyone interested in Carl Crawford? It's looking like I probably won't be keeping him, and I'll sell him pretty cheap for some sort of draft pick upgrade.

11. fadeaway

As was the case last year, we will choose the draft order ourselves based on the previous season's total points standings (with penalties added for unused SP & RP games).

Here is the magic list. I was surprised that jent ended up first since he was a playoff team last year, but unused pitching game penalties really hurt Smeg and DarkHorse. Also, jent was very lucky last year, ending up with a good record despite a relatively low overall points total.

Draft order selection list
    1. Jent's Llamas (7077)
    2. SmegCity Smarmy Gits (7134)
    3. DarkHorses (7296)
    4. PhiSlammaJamma (7422)
    5. Rook (7490)
    6. LongHornFan's Xtreme Chalupa (7507)
    7. Expos Forever (7684)
    8. The Aliens (7628) -- defending champ always gets last spot

Official draft order

Let's get the draft order established as soon as possible. Jent gets first crack at selecting a spot.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

And the first trade of the new season (or the last trade of the old season?) is done. Good doing business with you, fade.

13. Rocketball

Supporting Member

Last chance sale: Guys like Texeria, Upton, Hamilton, Haren, Weiters, Zobrist and even Hunter Pence could be yours for the very low price of throw me any offer..............act fast before they are gone or claimed, this is it folks at the close of offseason and start of the draft, any deals will end and you could end up having another season in the cellar like my good friend Fade............

Don't let that happen to you, as the famous commercial line goes, "I don't want to be like Fade!"

ACT NOW!!!!! Call 1-800-Make-A-Deal!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you act within the first 24 hours I will throw in a rookie Juan Agusto card and three tickets to the ballet of your choice!!!!

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hey guys... sorry I haven't responded. I guess I'll do it again if there isn't anyone else trying to get in.

Give me some time to go over my team, etc. for my keepers and everything. I didn't do fantasy basketball this year so I feel very out of the loop.

15. SmeggySmeg

rook, i'm interested, you after a player or picks?

16. Rocketball

Supporting Member

Probably picks...........just let me know..........

17. fadeaway

jent just contacted me and he wants the #1 pick. Smeg gets next choice, followed by DH, etc...

Also, when you choose your draft spot, let's declare our keepers at the same time so we can get everything moving as soon as we can.

Official draft order
    1. Jent's Llamas
    2. Smegcity Smarmy Gits

#17 fadeaway, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. LonghornFan

Did you change this? The first time you had it as keepers being kept one time. Otherwise, unless 3 beers did me in, this makes no sense.

Not a fan of two times already kept at all. If so you need to bump up the years kept. This is the first year for these new rules, so taking two years away isn't really fair imo. I really don't see the need to make rules for the sake of seeing trades to be truthful. I'm in two money league keepers, and neither of them have max years kept, and they're still very, VERY competitive with only 4 keepers each.

#18 LonghornFan, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  19. fadeaway

No, I haven't changed that part since the original post. The extra year is being tacked on so that the trading incentive kicks in immediately this year instead of the next.

Since we moved to a keeper format several years ago, I can count the number of trades that have occurred in this league on one hand. I was hoping for a lot more activity and these changes are to help produce that.

20. SmeggySmeg

not that keen on trading picks, but a player for sure, i'll send you an offer for you to refuse

i'll take draft position 2