1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fans give LeBron Cavs gear to needy.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ryano2009, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Hahahah, Poor Cleveland.

CLEVELAND -- They're taking the jerseys off their backs for LeBron James. Then tossing them away -- for a good cause.

Stung by the NBA superstar's decision to leave Cleveland and play for Miami, Cavaliers fans have been unloading their unwanted No. 23 jerseys, T-shirts and other clothing items bearing James' name at locations around the city. Organizers are shipping the discarded James gear to homeless shelters in South Florida.

"It's like any breakup," said Beau Miller, who began the campaign with three friends. "You want to give all your stuff back."

For the past week, Cleveland fans have been dropping off their LeBron-related items at Yours Truly Restaurants in Northeast Ohio. Miller said he and his friends wanted to turn a negative situation into a positive and that the response has been "extraordinary."

"We wanted something good to come out of this," he said. "We didn't want another 'I hate LeBron campaign.' There's enough of that going around."

Doug Libelich, manager of the Yours Truly location in Shaker Heights, Ohio, said there has been a steady flow of fans -- mostly young ones -- ridding themselves of LeBron-related clothing, including the iconic 23 jerseys, which were wildly popular during James' seven seasons with the Cavaliers.

"It's been picking up in the last few days," he said. "All kinds of stuff."

James' messy separation with Cleveland has caused a negative backlash against the 25-year-old, who announced his decision to leave the Cavs as a free agent during a one-hour TV special on July 8. Following his announcement, some fans burned James' jersey in protest.

While appreciating the pain James caused Cleveland fans, Miller, along with friends Chris Jungjohann, Andrew De Crane and Tim Zeller, saw his departure as an opportunity to help those less fortunate. Along with donating the clothing, the group began breakupwithlebron.com, where they are selling T-shirts with the slogan "It's Not Us, It's You," on the front.

Proceeds from the $15 shirts are going to the Cleveland City Mission.

Link
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5396040

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

At least they're going to a good use

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Doing that or selling it was the best thing to do instead of burning it.

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Rebecca: Excuse me, I'm Rebecca Demore from the homeless shelter.

Elaine: Oh, hi.

Rebecca: Are you the ones leaving the LeBron jerseys behind our shelter?

#4 kpsta, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Give to the needy not the greedy

6. Dei

Dei Member

It'd be funny if the poor people still burned them.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I think there's a decent chance of that, which is why they are shipping them to south Florida.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rebecca DeMornay*... yes i'm a seinfeld nerd

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Don't look now but It seems like LBJ is regretting his decision to join the Heat and about the whole free agency process as well, including the hour long program.

This was posted by a trusted insider of the Cavs called " Wine and Gold" from RealCavsFans.com. He is the creater of that site, similiar to Clutch.

http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=33316

He might return to Cleveland, even before his contract isn't up in Miami.

10. bcast89

bcast89 Member

IF true, then wow...
    This wouldn't go down too well with Cavs fans. He's already dug his grave in Cleveland. I don't see how he goes back or if the fans would even accept him back, much less the owner. Promising a championship for the city wouldn't even help since he's already tried that. Look how that turned out :rolleyes:

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think there is no way in hell Cleveland will take him back.

12. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think if he owns up to his mistakes, Gilbert would accept him with open arms.

I think he retires a Cav. Just my .02 cents.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

I'd like to see Lebron back in Cleveland. It would be a good story for him to bring a ring back to his home state.

Doubt it'll happen though.

14. cuddie

cuddie Member

So not your two cents? Your two hundredths of a cent?

15. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Even if those statements from a source close to Lebron are true, I would still take them with a huge grain of salt. Who knows what is going to be going through Lebron's head 2-3 years into his Heat contract? He may like it down there so much that he never leaves Miami for the rest of his life. He may have such a bad experience in his first road game at Cleveland that he never wants to step foot back in the state. Or he may be miserable one year into his new contract and realize that Cleveland is where his heart is. There are too many variables to take those type of comments seriously.

It's too bad that Cleveland fans were so outraged by the free agency because Lebron returning down the road to give them a shot at a championship is about the best chance for them to win for the next couple decades.

16. dragonz

dragonz Member

Oh, ye, the way Gilbert banks on Lebron, I bet he will welcome him with open arms.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It'd be funny if most of the homeless people in Cleveland wear Lebron jersey.

18. Dei

Dei Member

What? Sure they will. He's Cleveland's economy.

19. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Wow, just wow. SMH

20. cuddie

cuddie Member

So Many Haters? Soy Milk Heater? Sorry Man, Hugs?

I accept your apology.