1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fandom Question: what's your philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 23, 2017.

?

Would you prefer one guaranteed title and nine years of futility or 10 years of good teams

1. 1 title, 9 bad years

65.9%
  2. 10 good years, no guaranteed titles

29.3%
  3. I abstain, courteously

4.9%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Basic fan philosophy regarding championships meaning everything.

Would you rather have one title in ten years with 9 awful years OR ten good years but no guarantee of a title.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As much as I'd like to say it's all about winning a championship... I couldn't eat 9 years of total crap....

Of course, I'm sure I'm in the minority.... I was engaged in the TMac/Yao era... and even found some enjoyment in the Scola/AB/Martin years...

Whereas many fans railed against the 'treadmill of mediocrity'.... even in .500 type seasons I like to believe there's always a chance.... maybe you get a rookie that explodes... maybe a few balls bounce your way... maybe you make a trade and guy flourishes in your system and helps carry you to higher levels...

as long as we got a group of guys that are working hard night in and night out - then we got a team that I'm proud of... I'd rather be proud for 10 years - than elated for 1 year and in despair for 9....

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A tough question, I chose the former. Nothing beats getting a title.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The title.

I mean that's the ultimate high. And even if we sucked horribly for 9 years we could latch on to the prospect of potential. Because we would have good draft picks at least.

So your the best one year. Awesomeness level 1000.

You sick and the team sucks and it all goes downhill for 2-3 years and your just like WTF!

Then you have about 5-6 years of creating a new core and building the future. Your over the sting of the championship team being exploded. And now you have a team of youngsters and watch and hope they develop.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Boom

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where's the winning titles then having owner make the uniforms ugly for twenty years ?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'll take the 1977 Bill Walton Trail Blazers for $100 Alex.

Nook likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I take the 1 title option also cause if you're good enough to win one time, it's basically impossible that you've a team that sucks for all the years before or after lol

But anyway, a title is a title, being a team like the Clippers in these past years is meh in the end.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

les has been attempting the same policy as the federal reserve banking corporation, trying to fight the natural business cycle instead of just letting it run it's course. les' artificial intervention leaves us with little chance of ever being able to develop our own stars through the draft. whether it's the sun, the grape harvest, menstrual, or heartbeat -- just about everything has a cycle and shouldn't nobody try to tinker with it. let us float freely and take the good with the bad, the dark with the light, the pingpong balls with the maxwell 3 moneyballs!

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My interest waxes and wanes - generally it depends on whether things are really heating up, which they usually are.

heypartner and pippendagimp like this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

Ten good years would at least indicate consistency and that the players were out there trying their best. That's what's important to me. Maybe they do swing a title in that time. I don't think I could stand nine years of crap, because that would basically mean that the one championship must have been pretty flukey. Why did they suck so bad the other nine years?

Take the Aeros, who I still the grieve the loss of. They were pretty damn good most of the time they were here in their most recent iteration. Almost always in the playoffs. They won a couple championships, but even in the years they didn't, it was still fun to go watch them play well at most games.

justtxyank and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think 1 and 9 is better for me nowadays. It would be even better if someone told me when that 1 season would be so I'd know when to follow closely and when to become a flaky fan.

14. Know Your Role

There are two Rockets eras. Before Les and after Les. Les did not build the Championship teams, that was overlap from the previous owner and GM. So, before Les we were in the finals 4 times. After Les we have not been back to the finals. The Rockets are not a basketball machine that they once were. Back in those days, the Spurs were an actual rival. Les is a NY businessman trying to use his experience to run a basketball team and I don't think it's effective at winning in the NBA.

That said, we've won a ton of meaningless games over the years. I'd rather win games that mean something.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

For any real fan, championships always come first.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah just add about the pre-les era, we got the GOAT dream solely via a horrendous losing season. sometimes you really have to hit rock bottom before you can turn the page and start anew. problem is les needs that regular income from the team every year

Know Your Role likes this.
  17. mightybosstone

I'd much rather have a title, so I went with the first option. But I'm also not one of those fans who thinks you should blow it up if you have a really good team but are still a piece or two from seriously contending. Regardless if this team with Harden ever wins a title, it absolutely makes more sense to keep him and continue to build around him than to blow it up and start from scratch.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The problem with your question is, the beauty of a title is that it ISN'T guaranteed. If you knew you were gonna win it all there would be no fun in the journey. The pleasure is in facing those five or ten moments in a season where you know the outcome is going to have a huge impact on how things turn out, if not end your year altogether. When the team perseveres through that, then it makes all the other bad moments worth it. Knowing what will happen defeats the purpose.

So going from a point of uncertainty, you always take the good years because those give you a chance. Selling out on the other nine years to put all your chips into a single season has rarely worked. The Marlins. That's about it.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. TheresTheDagger

Ask the Mavericks fans.

Did they prefer the 2001-2010 years?

or

2011 and every year since?

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

My dick size doesn't correlate to the Rockets number of rings.

As long as they are competitive and fun to watch, I'll be happy.

Although, I wouldn't turn down a title or two.