1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(FAKE) IRS is suing you calls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Aug 25, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone else getting tired of this scam? Today I got a call from them and decided to have a little fun, kept them on the line for 35 minutes, and finally said I was in Canada....they hung up real fast.

If you want to have some fun, call them on Skype so they can't trace your number their call back number is 323-215-6915, and boy do they sound american...NOT!

DD

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You better fix dat title.

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol my friend got that and was freaking out a bit until i told him its fake

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I sent them $500 via Western Union so they would stop calling me.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good plan.

DD

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I've only gotten this one once or twice.

The one I get all the time is the "we're calling from Windows, you computer has lots of errors, let me help you fix them."

I swear I was getting those 4-5 times a week for awhile. A few times I even played along for awhile... for funsies, and to waste their time.

EDIT: Oh, and when I do play along, at some point I started ending the calls by claiming that I worked for Microsoft, or the FBI. They haven't called for maybe a month. Maybe I scared them away. :D

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I've had about 100 of these calls. I never pick up, so it goes to the recorder. It makes me mad knowing that some people are being taken advantage of and falling for this scam.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Got two more today....my "FINAL NOTICE!!!!". I just blocked the number. It came from Inglewood, CA.

I feel sorry for any senior citizens that fall into this trap. They are losing brain function in a lot of cases...and I'm sure they would do anything to try and make things right (i.e. getting scammed).

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I never get any scam calls. Probably because I never give out my real phone number.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

having fun is nice but instead of wasting your and their time just let them know you will report the phone number to the irs. irs has a specific website specifically for that scam.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

it's more likely a waste of time to report the phone number. that never stopped them. they will just come through on another phone number.

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

It's funny when you tell them to send you something in mail. They are like it's something u have to resolve now. Mmhmm.

13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I report numbers when I get them.

Recently got some of the Windows calls. They would try to tell me to do stuff on the computer. I'd pretend like I'm doing it, and then he said to read what the computer was telling me.

I said, "It says this is a scam and you're trying to take my money." He asked me where it said that, and I told him "all over the internet."

He then proceeded to get mad at me and told me I was wasting his time and to not play games with him. Seriously? I'm wasting your time while you're trying to scam me out of my hard earned money?

14. trustme

trustme Member

Hmmm. Recently got a call from dude with Indian accent saying I owed some hospital bill from 4 years ago. Said he was calling from some law firm in Massachusetts but his number showed up as Vegas. Asker to speak to his manager whose name was Stan Brown and had even thicker accent. It didn't make sense to me that a law firm would be doing debt collections. And even if they do why would they outsource the calls to India.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me. Sleazebag lawyers.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've been worried about this happening since Prince Abdullah sent me all that money for helping him out that one time.....

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its very common for debt collectors to use a law firm. Although its more of a debt collecting company who employs a sleezly lawyer (Samfisher anyone?) and uses the world "Law" in their business name.

I had a this foreign/indian guy kept calling me and asking for someone else. I told him that it wasn't me and he kept insisting it was. I'd hang up and he'd keep calling back. I finally told him if he called me again, I would report this call to DHS. He dropped the call quick and didnt bother me again.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL at reporting the numbers. They're all spoof numbers. Reporting them doesn't do any good. Neither does blocking them.

I get them all day long on my cell. I just don't answer them.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's so LOL that the IRS has an entire group dedicated to help citizens identify and report issues, https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Glad something is being done about these scammers. My mother called in tears the other day saying she was getting sued by the IRS, I had to calm her down and told her to ignore the call and that it was a scam. I guess they are going hard and heavy on the elderly.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/06/news/india-irs-scam-arrests/index.html

#20 TMac'n, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016