1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fact Bomb] Electoral College: Invented to Protect Slavery, Is Stupid, Is Broadly Opposed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Mar 22, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The idea, which I have heard multiple times on various media, is that the vote from the populations of those cities (the biggest cities) would overwhelm all other votes from all other areas, if there were no electoral college, and just a direct popular vote.

So, in effect, the votes from New Hampshire or Idaho or South Carolina would not matter any more.

Somewhere on social media, I saw a map that showed that LA by itself would overwhelm most of the rest of the country. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit -- here it is:

[​IMG]

https://patriotpost.us/articles/61560-demo-controlled-states-plan-electoral-college-subversion

#61 BruceAndre, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    cml750 and MiddleMan like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Deckard likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You need 120 ******* cities to get to the population of an electoral majority, that's assuming 100% participation and so it's more like 240 cities voting for the same candidate, which won't happen so it's more like 480; but of course as population goes down you need more cities so it could easily be 720 - 1000 to get to 70 - 75 million voting for the same candidate. Campaign stops and ad buys may align more closely along metropolitan areas or even more starkly along well-tailored demographics like income or profession, but they won't be dominated by whatever multi-ethnic cities you're pretending aren't the "real America."

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

1) Cursing never helps anyone's arguments

2) where did I opine on what is the "real America" and what is not? I think I offered no such opinion.

Oh, and see the map I posted above.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is not the way math works in a direct election..or, at all.

1 = 1

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, if I am understanding you, it's the 1 = 1 premise that people object to. That's how small states lose their votes. (Or, their votes don't matter)

If, hypothetically, the cities of NYC, Chicago, and LA have 60 million people, and South Carolina has 10 million people; and those big cities all vote blue and SC votes red, then, arguably, the people from SC didn't need to vote anyway--their votes simply don't matter.

If I am understanding you, you are correct in one sense -- you just want to simply tally up all the individual votes; the winner gets the WH.

But that's what a lot of states object to. You are essentially "wiping out" statehood in such a model.

Yes, in an electoral college, small states get more electoral votes than perhaps they deserve. That is, the simplicity of giving NH (say) 10 electoral votes gives it an bigger influence that it would have on popular vote alone.

It gets down to this: is there any value to statehood, or should we just be considered one political entity, bordered by Canada and Mexico and the oceans? Or, are states in fact their own political entities because they do want to be different than other states?

For example, look at the laws on certain (cough, cough) substances. Some states say "Ok." Other states say "nay." Clearly, then, there are differences among the states; and they should be separate political entities.

A popular vote in the presidential election would in essence wipe out the states. Many people like the idea for this reason. Many people hate the idea for this reason.

Myself, I see the value in states being allowed to be different, and having their own voices, policies, and yes, electoral votes.

7. SamFisher

I didn't read your post.

Are you a Texan?

Why would any Texan with a possums testicle of self respect want his presidential vote to be among the least valuable in the country..?

I know you dont know too much about math but this is not good! You're behind big empty states like Wyoming and teeny states like Rhode Island.

You're behind your loser neighbors like Oklahoma

Grow a sack

Respect your vote.

As a Texan.

8. Buck Turgidson

This is true, I suppose, if you completely ignore the Legislative Branch and all State governments.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Los Angeles has slightly less than four million people, more than half the states in the country and probably 3/4 of the states in this map each individually have more than that.

#69 Dairy Ashford, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  10. Buck Turgidson

LA city has ~4 million people, LA county (which his map is based on) has ~8 million and is indeed more populous than all but about 8-10 states.

BruceAndre likes this.
  11. SamFisher

Who cares about LA county?

Popular vote has nothing to do with counties, cities or states.

Has nothing to do with race or ethnicity

Has nothing to do with MAGA hats or frog memes

1 person 1 vote.

12. Buck Turgidson

Since the thread is prefaced [Fact Bomb] I thought I would correct the other poster with some facts.

I didn't say anything about voting or the EC or anything else. Calm your t***.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't see any references to Los Angeles County. I see an illustration that might highlight the county because it's harder to clearly do so with the city. The broader point is ridiculous as the implication is that L.A. itself would be more electorally powerful than these states and that voters in these states would be precluded from aligning together in a popular vote.

14. SamFisher

I'm just field testing slogans and destroying the poop out of dumb framing issues.

I know you're not the real enemy, its bruce andre that tries to deceive bruce and andre

That's the beauty of 1 person 1 vote.

County. Hair color. Whatever.

It won't matter after we get rid of EC

1 person 1 vote.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

C'mon Sam. You can't avoid it forever. The truth will set you free.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Dont care either way.

Harden with 61!!!

Hell yeah

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Aye, Sam. Get a load of this. Turns out them boys in New York was still holdin' on to their slaves way after the Constitution was ratified.

[​IMG]

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Which would effectively eradicate states as political entities in presidential elections. Which is apparently Ok with you.

I would just say be careful what you wish for...…there's always the law of unintended consequences.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well yes, I guess I was thinking about presidential elections. Isn't that why this is being talked about? Due to the presidential election of 2016? And maybe that of 2000?