1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook Officially Less Popular with American Teens Than Instagram and Snapchat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In related news, Grandma stories about HAROLD SAW A BEAR GODBLESS up 4000%

Facebook Officially Less Popular with American Teens Than Instagram and Snapchat
    [​IMG]
    Matt Novak

Today 7:10am
    Filed to: FACEBOOK
    [​IMG]
    Photo: Getty
    It’s official. Facebook is no longer number one with teens. A new study from the Pew Research Center found that just 51 percent of Americans from 13 to 17-years-old say they use Facebook. That’s down from 71 percent in 2015. Those same teens now use Instagram (72 percent) and Snapchat (69 percent) to connect online. And 45 percent of teens report being online almost constantly.

YouTube was actually the most ubiquitous online platform for teens, with 85 percent of American kids saying they use the video sharing site. But Instagram and Snapchat, more traditionally understood as “social media” services like Facebook, are the biggest winners. Just three years ago, Pew found that 52 percent of teens used Instagram and 41 percent used Snapchat. Only 32 percent of American teens report having a Twitter account.

The number of teens who report being online “almost constantly” jumped significantly since Pew’s 2015 poll. Forty-five percent of teens say they’re online almost constantly (both on smartphones and computers) compared with just 24 percent who said the same thing in 2015. Forty-four percent reported being online “several times a day” in the most recent study. Back in 2015, “several times a day” was the most popular answer, reported by 56 percent of teens.

When you drill down into which social media platforms teens use the most frequently, Facebook is again a huge loser. Snapchat is the winner overall, with 35 percent of American teens saying that use it the most, with YouTube a close second at 32 percent. Just 10 percent of American teens report that Facebook is the social media platform they use most often.

One of the most interesting findings by the new Pew study is that Facebook is now the most popular with kids from lower income homes. Teens who come from a household that makes less than $30,000 per year are the most likely to use Facebook, with 70 percent reporting that they use the platform. For teens who lived in a household that makes $30,000 to $75,000 it was just 56 percent. And for teens living in a household that makes over $75,000, only 36 percent report using Facebook.

When it comes to platforms like Instagram, household wealth didn’t matter nearly as much. Roughly 74 percent of teens from households that makes less than $30,000 per year have an Instagram account. About 71 percent of teens from wealthy families ($75,000+) also had an Instagram account. Instagram is owned by Facebook.

While there are some dramatic differences between the platforms that teens from wealthy families and poorer families use, smartphone ownership has become incredibly common across the board. Ninety-five percent of American teenagers have a smartphone, with only slight differences based on family income. For families that make less than $30,000 per year, 93 percent of teens have a smartphone, identical to the percentage from teens who come from families that make $30,000 to $75,000. But for teens in families that make over $75,000 that number jumps to 97 percent.

How do teens feel about social media in general? Roughly 45 percent were agnostic about its impact, saying that it was neither positive nor negative. About 31 percent said that social media was generally positive, and 24 percent said it was mostly negative. Of the teens who said it was mostly negative, 27 percent cited bullying and rumor spreading. But of the teens who said that social media was mostly positive, 40 percent said that it was a great way to connect with friends and family.

It’s hard for a lot of people to imagine today’s dominant social media platforms disappearing. But those of us who used to have a MySpace account (or a Flickr account for that matter) know that it doesn’t take long for things to go south. Facebook is still the most dominant social media platform in the world, but that could change very quickly, especially if younger generations don’t want to use it. And if this latest poll is any indication, teens don’t think Facebook is worth their time anymore.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Facebook will just acquire whatever platform teens are using

Jontro likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They own Instagram.

4. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Younger kids don't like FB because their parents have FB

macho GRANDE, Deuce, Jontro and 4 others like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

i deleted facebook and haven't logged into Snap or Insta for 4 months.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought Facebook was mostly for stay at home moms?

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well I have to admit that Facebook lasted longer than Myspace. We should revolt against FB and go to Myspace. It can work out the same as when people left the iPod to go to Microsoft Zune.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Instagram could end up being FB's haven if things really go south (which is extremely doubtful). FB has achieved such reach, scale and revenue (dominance) it is impossible to dislodge.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Facebook was never designed for teens. Facebook will only get in trouble when adults stop using it.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FB is a dead platform walking. The latest generation is not embracing FB and its existing users are fleeing it.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The advertising solutions and the ability to actually engage the Facebook audience has never been better IMO. If you want to market to adults, Facebook is a great way to do it. Just look at this past election and Hillary's massive TV budget.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you, gizmodo. Wondering who exactly they think didn't already know this, LOL.

"There are these things called 'Facebook' and 'Snapchat' and your great-grand-children prefer 'Snapchat.' So roll out that term when they next visit you!"

13. Buck Turgidson

We can take this conversation to Yahoo Messenger or MySpace anytime you want to, so we don't derail the thread.

Rocket River and B-Bob like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My son, Nephews, Cousins etc. . . .had already informed me of this
    I personally Don't like instaGram cause it is too busy for me .. .and it seems like a million posts a minute
    Never even tried SnapChat .. . I don't like doing video anything

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Facebook will still always exist, so will instagram. I expect snapchat to fail well before the other 2

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You have to give credit to Mark. He got Insta and Whatsapp. He knows what he is doing.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So It begins.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope so, I quit it half a decade ago but if I want to look someone up from my past, it's the No. 1 tool.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

My first thought in reaction to this was "duh". Facebook's decline among young people in the US (and UK, Canada, etc.) was probably obvious to many people over the past 3 to 5 years. It was inevitable once parents, grandparents, teachers, bosses, etc started using FB. Also, social media in general has evolved over time, and Facebook is part of the "old guard". Some teens aged 13-14 probably grew up with Instagram and Snap, and never bothered with vanilla FB in the first place. Generation Z is the video generation.

With that said, in some developing countries, FB pretty much is the Internet. So Facebook isn't going to die anytime soon...it's just too big for that. I don't like Zuck very much, but he was smart to gobble up Instagram and Whatsapp.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CF is the vanilla FB for us! Who needs to know our real names!