1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FA Class of 08 (Can we get help here?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chinesetaco, Jul 25, 2007.

1. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

Now I know everyone wants to trade Rafer, but if he can net us a good player in 2008 with his contract, we should wait.

Some are saying that the Free Agent List of 2008 will be the best in years to come and after looking at the list, I would have to concur.

The following is a list of all 2008 Free Agents from hoopsworld and espn.com (some didnt match, so i didnt include them).

For those that know the salaries of the tradeable players/assets we currently have + MLE. Would it be possible to add any of these significant players onto our team?

Legend: ETO = Early Termination Option; P = Player Option; T = Team Option; R = 2004 first round pick (can sign an extension July 11 - Oct. 31)

1) Al Jefferson (R) - I dont think the Celtics will let him loose, but he would be great for us.

2) Allen Iverson (ETO) - If we have a chance to get him with Yao and Tmac, we grab him and ask questions later.

3) Andre Iguodala (R) - Looking for big bucks.

4) Andris Biedrins (R) - Would definitely be a quality player, but he's young and looking for the big bucks and not a small role.

5) Baron Davis (ETO) - If he retains any form of his playoff game; his clutchness, ability to get to the hoop, we could drop all our pgs and not need to worry.

6) Ben Gordon (R) - I'm not sure if we need really need him, but he would be great off the bench.

7) Daniel Gibson - Booby really grew on me. He's more clutch than Head and much more a serious player.

8) Dorell Wright (R) - I think he's worth a gamble next year, but someone would probably pay high for him.

9) Dwight Howard - Just signed a contract, would be pretty sick with Yao.

10) Elton Brand (ETO) - Might be the slowest backcourt, but... I think having him and Yao in the backcourt would be sick. He also has a great work ethic and has always been consistently close to 20-10.

11) Emeka Okafor (R) - Inury prone, but if has a great defensive presence, rebounds and can be a 20-10 guy when healthy.

12) Gilbert Arenas - Didnt he just sign a three year "just business" extension?

13) Jermaine O Neal (ETO) - Still a good PF, despite all his injuries. A probable perfect complement to Yao.

14) Jose Calderon - Looks like a pretty good pg, better than any we currently have now.

15) Josh Childress (R) - Has alot of upside, we probably have a better chance at him than Josh Smith.

16) Josh Smith (R) - YES! Only bad side is low fg%, but he loves Atlanta and they probably would sign him long term.

17) Kevin Garnett (ETO) - How many championships? 5? If he wanted to win and have fun while doing it, he might want to come to us for cheap.

18) Kevin Martin (R) - Should be good for us as he would be better than SF3 or Bonzi at the 2.

19) Luol Deng (R) - No chance, i guess..

20) Monta Ellis - If he's healthy, he would be the best 6th man, and a great pg (possibly better than any pgs we currently have).

21) Nenad Krstic - Injured, but looked good with the Nets.

22) Ron Artest (ETO) - Has alot of great intangibles, but is a cancer.

23) Shawn Marion (ETO) - Can defend, shoot, rebound, steal, just about everything except count on when it really matters, but still....

24) Tim Duncan (ETO) - I think he signed an extension, but we have no chance.

25) Tony Allen (R) - Good player, incredibly dumb.

26) Walter Herrmann - He would be a real quality backup behind Tmac. We also have his Scola and they were teammates.

http://www.***************/article_22352.shtml
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

dammit i hate all the love for Gibson, as stated during the playoffs, he's just another Austin Croshere, Travis Best, and Eric Snow, had great playoffs but suck the rest of the time.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

calderon could keep an eye out for this season and see how he improves.

daydreaming...brand wanting to come to a winner and taking less... :cool:

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We can't afford a single one of those guys. All our salary is pretty much tied up in what we have now.

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

Is there a reason why you listed the big name players? Because we have zero chance of getting any of them except for Artest through a trade since his stock is so low.

6. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

So with Bobby Sura's, Bonzi, Rafer, Luther, Mike, Hayes contracts + MLE and picks and whoever else not named Tmac, Yao, Scola, Francis, we can't get one of these big superstars in return?

I think it's possible.

7. Fuse

Fuse Member

Nope, I don't think any of our tradable assets are wanted by another team. It just happens that the Spurs and possibly the Heat have needs that we can help them fulfill. Other than that, any of those above listed teams can get much more in return than what we can give them.

Bonzi is also off our books next year.

8. Daryl F'n Morey

Wow, to look forward like that is a trip. I can't even imagine how this season will play out. Most of those guys are not even options. Why dont you just find a good PF for alston for a quick fix.

9. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Is there something you know that we don't? Brand and Yao in the backcourt? I'm guessing then our lineup would be:
    PG: Yao (better ball handler than Brand and gives us a height advantage at the 1)
    SG: Brand
    SF: T-Mac
    PF: Francis (too quick for other PFs to guard)
    C: James

:p

10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

3 max players on 1 roster????@$@$

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

must be making a lot of money from china

12. Coca Cola Scola

Actually, that list is bad news for us. All those good players will be GOING TO OTHER TEAMS since we practically have no shot at them. I do wish that KG would just sign a one year 12 million dollar deal with us to win a ring....Our team would be unstoppable....the best frontline in the league. Also, I think we would need to show some loyalty to some of the guys that signed cheaply with us: Francis, Bonzi....and have space to keep Scola in a few years.

13. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

They all already play for other teams...

It is way too early to start this. Besides, free agency is not necessarily a good place to pick up players unless your looking to overpay (with some obvious recent exceptions).

14. Coca Cola Scola

Of course, they already play for other teams, but they will be free agents....so they might go to one of our main rivals.

15. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

So we should just sign every good player in the NBA to keep them from winning with other teams???

:p

16. Coca Cola Scola

I don't know where you're going with this. :D

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

FA forecasts are useless at this point because a LOT of these guys will be extended during the season or right before free agency...

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What is all this talk about getting all stars for almost nothing! I know there appears to be some stupid GM's in this league and after we got Scola and Francis on the cheap there is this belief we can get others for little or nothing and that's exactly what Rafer is... But GM's have a reason for what appears to be stupidity. For instance Scola was the direct result of San Antonio not wishing to pay Luxury tax. Because of Vspan's desperate desire to quit the team we were one of a few teams that could allow San Antonio to give up a player's salary without taking on more salary and we were the only team that wanted Scola. San Antonio desperately wanted to avoid trading with us but more wanted to avoid the luxury tax and we were the only team that was willing to accomodate them. Get IT! You can pick up value if the situation is right. We also lucked out and got Bonzi but that was because he is considered slightly damaged and as for Stevie, he just loves Houston and wanted to be here. But don't think for one minute that anyone on that list can be had with our unwanted trash.

Also you cannot combine the MLE with another player. You cannot, get it. So that makes most of your post stupid. Actually even if you could Rafer plus MLE doesn't get you Al Jefferson, KG, Etc... Rafer = Michael Doleac... Rafer gets you Doleac, get it. That's what Rafer gets you.

The rest of your post is okay though. I mean the part were you listed the 2008 free agents. Ah what am I b****ing for there is nothing on the forum worth reading anyway. This is as good a crap as any.

19. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

No! You have your head so far up your a** it is not even funny. Most the guys on your list are restricted which 100% rules them out becuase any low ball offer will be matched by their oringinal team. Based on your thread I would guess you know none of this. There is not one "star" on your entire list that isnt restricted or has an early termination option which means that unless they can get a better contract than the one they already have they will stay with their current team. And if you are seriously thinking that we have the peices to make a trade for a player like Elton Brand or KG you are dumber than I originally thought. Les is not going to have another 20 million dollar man on his roster.

The Rockets have a great team this year why don't you stop spreading idocy and enjoy the season.

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Lol I think that statment about Brand and Yao in the backcourt pretty much somes up this guys knowledge of an NBA offseason.