1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explain Like I'm Five- Standings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BeBreezy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Pardon my ignorance, but why should we want the 2nd or 3rd seed? What's wrong with seeds 4-6?

malakas likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Well 4-5 would play Warriors most likely in the second round.

You could also make the argument that you want to play Warriors in the second round (as an older team).

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Benefit of 4-5 seed is Chris Paul is likely to be healthy in Second. I think 3 seed is better.
    Morey did not do enough for Paul to rest first round.

4. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I'd rather lock in the 8th seed and rest everyone a week or two before the playoffs.

We would take on GSW fully healthy.

Let's be the first 8th seed to win it all!

D-rock, vlaurelio, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  5. macan

macan Member

we will have home court in the first round if we get 2nd or 3rd seed. more importantly we would avoid worriers until west finals.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Why not first? :D:eek:

fckbandwagons and LUK3 like this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If we are the 4th or 5th seed we likely face GS in 2nd round. If we are 2,3 or 6,7 it looks like an easier path to the Western Conference Finals.

I personally want them to stay out of the 4 or 5 slot for those reasons. I think we can beat Denver or OKC without home court if we face them in the first round if we happen to finish 6th or 7th. Second gives us home court for the 1st 2 rounds as well.

#7 BaselineFade, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

I thought it's a good idea. But if it fails, MDA gets fired.

Kim and vlaurelio like this.
  9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It's true. We actually SHOULD want to face the Warriors in round 1.

You first need to develop the mindset that no matter what we will inevitably have to face the Warriors. We WILL have to beat the Warriors to get a title and as it stands we will not be getting home court against them. You also need to develop the mindset that the playoffs are a much more exhausting style of basketball. With those two in mind, as a much older team it'd make the most sense to face the Warriors in round one when we would have the freshest legs and the least bit of old age wear & tear/knick knack injuries.

But even though that realistically makes the most sense none of us want to face the Warriors in round 1 haha I'm just saying ideally we SHOULD

In a way, since none of us want to face the Warriors in round 1 even though we claim we want the Rockets to have the best chances of winning a title.. we are all basically hypocrites. You're a hypocrite, I'm a hypocrite, every Rockets fan on Clutchfans is a hypocrite.

#9 Realjad, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    D-rock, roslolian and BeBreezy like this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well, obviously the 2nd seed is better than 4th or 5th as that means home court through two rounds instead of one or none. But also, we wanna avoid the Warriors as long as possible. The ideal scenario would be:

Rockets - 2nd or 3rd
    Nuggets - 2nd or 3rd
    OKC - 4th or 5th
    Portland - 4th or 5th
    Either Utah or San Antonio - 6th or 7th

So we'd face the Jazz or Spurs in the first round and beat either one. Then we'd get the Nuggets or the team that upset them and beat them. Then we get the Warriors or Thunder, but we wouldn't have to face both. And odds are good they'll have just slugged it out for 6 or 7 games.

11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

home court in 1st round and avoid GSW in 2nd round

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Winning=good, losing=bad

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really don't understand wanting to put off the Warriors. Whether we play them in 2nd Rd or CF we have to beat them and OKC/Den.

Ideally you don't want to drop to 6th and have to face OKC in the first round, but 3-5 really doesn't matter. That one extra home game in the first round shouldn't matter. If we need it to survive we have no chance at GS anyway.

I don't give a f**k about appearances, anything that isn't a title is a failure, first round or conference finals.

BeBreezy likes this.
  14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You make great points, were it not that the NBA would have the Rockets playing 8 on 5 in the first round. That may be unduly tin foil wearing and cynical, but the NBA and ESPN/TNT have spent a great deal of time and money building stories about the Warriors and their players. I doubt that they want that investment to flame out in the first round.

Also, playing the Dubs in the first round guarantees you three tough, long playoff series before the Finals. Get the 3 seed and the Rockets might get a cupcake for the first round. I mean, I can dream, right?

jcf, clutchdabear, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Now that's an answer a five year old could understand :D

clutchdabear, hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

The goal is winning a title, not getting past the first round

Unfortunate truth is that it will inevitably be 8 v 5 no matter what round against the warriors.. just as we saw last year. Yep, it doesn't matter if we play the Warriors in round one or in the western conference finals.. it will still be 8 v 5 either way.

slothy420 likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

She said "like she was five", not act five.

No fan *in their right mind* really believes this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Let's say if your team wins, you get cookies. So if you like cookies, you'll want to win. Well the Rockets really REALLY like cookies. Like more than any other team, they love cookies the most. So if they're 2nd or 3rd seed, they have a better chance to win and you know what winning means, right? That's right, cookies!

Well, 4th - 6th seeds will probably win a cookie or two, but if you want lots of cookies you better try your best to be 2nd or 3rd seed.

[​IMG]

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If we meet the Warriors in the second round, we're giving only one other team a chance to take them out. If we can avoid hitting them till the WCF, we more than double the chance that somebody will take them out before we have to face them. Also, if we meet them in the second round and manage to win, we will have spent a lot of energy, and possibly accumulated injuries, while our opponent will arrive having dealt with easier opposition. It would totally suck if we did the hard work of beating them, only to ease somebody else's path to the finals. Make that other team do the work.

The Warriors are a bigger problem for us than the whole rest of the league put together. If I could wait to meet them till the finals, I would. Short of that, WCF is the best option.

jcf, Deuce, slothy420 and 6 others like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I like cookies! I'd also like to get as high a seed as we can manage. When we face Oakland, we'll have to beat them, whenever it is, and we'll beat them, if we're healthy.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.