1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Experience with Home Health Care for a Senior Citizen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, so my grandmother (she's a young and spry 90 years old) finally had a fall and broke her pelvis 2 months ago. She just came home from the rehab/assisted living facility yesterday.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5-6 days a week home health (absolutely not hospice) workers? I'm not asking for recs or anything, I met them this morning, but more like things I could do to make them more sympatico. I can't be there every day, neither can my mom or my uncles.

Long story short, how do you get an ornery old woman to like a new young person for 40+ hours a week?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to say it but it's a real crap shoot when dealing with home health people, I've met some that are super awesome and others that are dumb as a bag of rocks. Unfortunately there are more dumb and kind of terrible home health people than there are those that are awesome, at least in my experience, so I certainly wish you good luck.

If you happen to get a good one, then I doubt you will have any problems whatsoever. If your grandmother simply can't get along with them or they are just terrible at their job then I'd suggest suggest looking for a new home health company. There's several of them and you should be able to switch if necessary.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

It may help to interview them if possible. Your grandmother can be part of the interview process. My mom did it for awhile to make ends meet. You really don't know what your going to get but, it should be ok since grandma still mentally has it. They can't take advantage of her. She just needs a little help getting around, I pray she gets better. My wife's 96 year old granny burned through 4 before she passed. Definitely was was her fault though. She was a handful lol. Good luck Buck.

Buck Turgidson likes this.