1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Expectations for Appel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 28, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Now that his season is over, I'm curious to see what CF thinks of Appel's future.

I didn't watch any of his games, outside of some highlight videos, so I don't really have a foundation to base an opinion. But I've read that his delivery is easy to pick up, thus somewhat diminishing his 'stuff'.

In AA/AAA, Appel threw 131 IP, .266 average, 110K:51BB, 1.41 WHIP, and an ERA of 4.37. His starts were overly inconsistent; is anyone worried about this? I hope his inconsistencies are more a result of the McCullers approach, where you care less about immediate results as opposed to figuring out and mastering pitches.

I'm still hoping that Appel can become a solid #2, with a decent #3 looking more realistic.

Thoughts?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd expect him to be in line to contribute to the rotation at some point in 2016. It's going to be tough with the rotation likely set (Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Feldman, Fiers). He'll have to wait out an injury and be performing better than those ahead of him in the pecking order (Velasquez and Feliz at a minimum).

That said...if he figures out his issues and has a sustained run of success in AAA, they'll find a spot for him.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think he will have a chance to win the 5th spot out of this ST, a battle between Feldman, VV, Feliz, Obbie, Wojo and Straily.

Of all those pitchers, the one with best stuff is Appel.

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think he'll have a good chance at making the starting rotation out of Spring Training.

For a different ballclub.

This isn't me being a hater....given the starters we have in the minor leagues and already established in the bigs, I think he's a prime trade chip to help fill the gaps in our lineup this winter. I think if we spend big money in FA, it'll be for a TOR starter. I think any good bats will come via trade, so Appel is likely to get moved.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Hoping that 'TOR' starter is conveniently already in TOR...Price.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not much unless he figures out how to make his stuff less hitable. I can only imagine what pro hitters will do to him since he's never been able to have an ERA below 4.00 in the minors.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The 1.41 WHIP is worrisome.

Hopefully Appel can figure it all out in AAA next year.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, if he's indeed a failed starter.. they need to see if they can harness his stuff to be a late inning bullpen guy.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he should switch to closer.

10. vince

vince Member

I like Appel's future as a starter. But, there isn't much room for him yet.

Keutchel, McHugh, McCullers, Fiers are pretty much assured of 4 of the starters spots!

If Kazmir is signed, the that is the rotation. Plus there is Feldman who was pitching pretty well. And Velasquez has some great stuff.

The way he makes the team is that he goes into the bullpen, but I think the Astros might try him out in the AAA for another season. I think the Astros are going to try and challenge him to force himself onto the team, with his play.

What it boils down to, is that there are a lot of guys who can step into the starting rotation.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I agree that he will likely get traded. Change of scenery might be best for everyone at this point. He's simply too talented not to have done more with the opportunities he was given, and someone will see him as a project worth gambling on. He's a great trade piece for a bat. (Literally one baseball bat!)

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Appel finally started missing bats at the end of the year. Over 10 K's per 9 over his last 9 starts, so thats something. Unfortunately it still didn't translate to consistent results.

I'm not sure what his trade value is at this point, but a trade is obviously an option. Given his stuff, and our need, trying him out of the pen next year seems like a more likely option. You can always try him as a starter later down the line, plenty have made that transition.

I have by no means given up on him as a guy that can still be a good player, but at this point I don't expect it. I find it highly unlikely that we made the right choice in that draft.

13. SportsWorld

SportsWorld Member

I've seen Appel live and he has tremendous stuff, it's just every hitter made extremely good contact off him. I think him being a starter anywhere is a long shot next season considering he probably shouldn't be in AAA at this point. He got promoted strictly based on his draft position. I'd definitely consider trying him in the bullpen either as a closer or a long reliever but you're basically admitting at this point that he's a bust.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Appel has one if not two more years, before he can be labeled as a failed starter.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Teams typically need 7-10 starters in a year. Appel may not be in the top 5 starters, but he's most likely at least well enough to be the 6th or 7th starter. I expect he'll be in rotation at end of year provided he's healthy.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would say provided he pitches well, not health. He's a virtual lock to get some starts next year, but a contending team cannot afford to continue running a poor pitcher out there. He wasn't even a good AAA pitcher this season.

If he pitches well, or at least shows flashes, he will certainly get the benefit of the doubt.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wouldnt be impressed with those numbers at the ML level, much less in the minors.

Right or wrong, the Appel story strikes me as a guy who everybody wants to succeed, and seems to get inordinate opportunity to do so, without the standard requisite numbers that normally accompany the hype, expectations and promotions that he has obtained.

In other words, the numbers alone dont shout that this guy is key to our future, or even to likely to make it successfully at the major league level.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I hope he becomes the stud we drafted. But even if we give him some run and he fails, some GM will see him as an asset that he can fix. So he's got value. I think he's worth a stop in the show at this point. His pitches have movement and he's still a top 30 prospect at this point. Similar prospect John Gray has struggled. But we need to see what we have over the next two years and I think he's earned that look see.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But he could get a trial in the bullpen before he even gets to that point... based on the fact that the Astros may not "need" him to be in the rotation next year (but could obviously use some bullpen help).

Several would-be starters get their careers ramped up in the bullpen. Some go on to good starting careers (Wainwright, Derek Lowe).... some stay or eventually find their spot in the bullpen (Brad Lidge, Andrew Miller, Dotel).

Water usually finds its level... and good pitching usually settles into one or the other. Obviously, he's most valuable as a starting pitcher... but if the team doesn't need him at that role (or if he's not capable of that role), and there's a spot for him in the bullpen... why not explore that?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If he's healthy, he'll likely pitch well enough to be fifth starter on contending team that wants him to be at worst a bullpen pitcher in the playoffs.