1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expectations and sense of Reality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Oct 27, 2018.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Almost made it to the finals, most wins in franchise history, Gordon and MDA runner-ups for awards they won the year prior, Morey and Harden getting their due. We had a lot to be proud of and be happy about.

Then the off-season came, mouths started to run off at how great we were, even when we lost Ariza, Luc and finally Bzdelik- the latter was never really acknowledged. It was all fine apparently. We got Ennis, MCW and the key to a championship in Melo.

Morey, Tillman and MDA were still riding last year’s success and had an answer for every skeptic. Morey convinces everyone that you need guys to outperform their contracts. Tillman has you believe luxury tax needs to be avoided when you were that close to winning it all.

MDA even had the courage to say we would be better defensively. The lack of respect for our former players and coach were shameful and disrespectful. We were bound to fall. Morey had worked hard on convincing people he was about chemistry. Tilman would pay. MDA would adjust.

In fact, we were running it back. Running what back? The lack of knowledge about own team still baffles me. Melo and Ennis cannot replace Luc and Ariza, even if they were defensive geniuses. It takes time, effort and chemistry and also talent. Melo is what we know he always was so those are simply unrealistic expectations.

As bad as Ryno became, he was a huge part of our strategy to stretch out the court. This allowed the wings and guards the space to tear all the opponents apart. You do not simply replace that either. Especially if you bank on MCW to shoot.

Nene was injury prone, even last year almost unplayable at times. Somehow we still banked on him to perform. Harden, given how his natural MO you just had to know he needed extra motivation to play at the same level or even better. A young player who suddenly gets paid is a huge risk to underperform in Capela.

Since everyone was riding high, this was bound to happen. I’m not saying all that media talk resulted in a different attitude coming into training camp, but I’m sensing it has changed. Maybe it’s simply Bzdelik leaving, but seeing us play in the preseason kind of showed you how relaxed they were. Not really serious.

I can only guess how the locker room changes have affected the team’s attitude- especially towards defense. When everyone keeps saying they’ll be better than last year, guys might think it’s going to be easy. When your team changes, but your defensive game plan doesn’t, then that’s a lack of preparation.

I think the Rockets would’ve served themselves best had they tempered expectations, actually understood how much harder they had to work to get back to that level last year. You don’t simply “run it back.” Even if it was all talk, it set the tone for what we’re seeing now.

We will get better and might win 50-some games, but I’m actually glad this happened. I just don’t know if we will learn from it. MDA has always come across as a McHale guy in his simplicity. He also doesn’t really push guys like Bzdelik probably did. Morey by now should know chemistry is everything and you need shooters for our system to work. Tilman might learn that he needs to pay up.

The changes to defense can be an alarming sign since you don’t just change a scheme in two days practice. It also kind of confirms they didn’t prepare well and are only now looking into our defense since they approached it with ‘why change a winning formula’. Ditching that this quickly, not sure that’s the best solution.

The season is still young, we’re dealing with growing pains, injuries and at least change is on the horizon. A reality check is always good, we can still turn things around and learn from this. I do fear the lack of preparation and mentality change is too much to overcome.

Pride comes before the fall and you could see this coming a mile away. The media are not always out to get the Rockets and they’ve been right about some things. It will be interesting to see how we handle it.

High Vibrationz and bmelo like this.
  2. theimpossibles1

Cool novel bro.

High Vibrationz likes this.
  3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Remember last year when we had a weird stretch of not having Harden and CP synch up health wise and we lost 5 strait....

Yeah, still not worried!

Bengchu likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I only read the last paragraph. I agree with it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There should be a Sense of Urgency to the Reality.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So the gap to the Worriers is wide as ever. Consistency from year to year is really undervalued here.

The media is always out to get the Rockets.

#6 daywalker02, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    justtxyank likes this.