1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expanding core competencies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

From reading you all posts, I draw this conclusion: Rockets are trying to develop and win at the same time with greatest common denominator. So that in the playoff time, Rockets can win some games, close games.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Hey, not sure if I believe the OP either ;)

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I business majored a long time ago ... now I try to basketball major

4. Orange1

Orange1 Member

Be a Rockets's assistant coach replacing Mr. Sampson? I will take u any day. Being a business major or basketball major on the sideline do u no good.:grin:

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Synergizing new pathways.

Rectifying personnel interlearning.

Innovating brand identity.

6. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

LOL Hollinger has no clue about Lin's passing/vision - he's better than harden in this area...

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I truly believe we are fan-site GMs and coaches for a reason. Because we're not good enough. Even Torocan, despite my utmost respect for him. He may make it in the stats department, and be a good consultant, but no ... not a NBA head coach. Otherwise Morey should just take the job himself.

And if Torocan's not good enough ... I'll stick to making silly little posts here on clutchfans, and once in a while trying to put some sense into the even sillier posters.

#87 mike_lu, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Hollinger is an excellent stats guy who would not make it as a traditional talent evaluator. Plus, he cannot catch up with the improvements of players across 30 NBA teams, so he's going to be behind the 8-ball in most cases.

But when his numbers tell him otherwise, he'll take another look. He probably has no idea Lin is playing as a spot-up 3pt SG up until the Portland game. And he certainly has no idea that Lin isn't dropping off some general post entry pass to Patterson like Lillard can do to LMA, and letting them get him the assists. Most of Lin's assists are legit ... ones that leads to an easy shot and basket. The traditional definition of an assist, before the NBA wanted to pad the stats of its players for them to make more players look talented.

9. Arthurprescott2

Sorry forgot to specify that it was David Thorpe's article.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Being a coach is different than analyzing the game. Coaches require a very extensive talent set beyond the evaluation of talent or X's and O's. They also have to be therapists and arbitrators, motivators and organizers. They have to be managers, and they also have to answer to an Owner.

I don't have the skillset to do it, nor would most of us here. Not to mention those of us that DO have it are unlikely to ever have the chance. There's only 30 NBA head coaching positions and they are darn hard to get no matter how good a coach you may be.

As for assessing talent, I have no doubt there are people out in the public sphere that would be better at analyzing talent than some of the scouts who get paid to find talent. That said, being a NBA scout is a crappy job... tons of traveling, living in hotels, and the payscale isn't that great for alot of them. There's lots of regular jobs that are better at keeping a roof over your head.

Also home analysts have nothing to lose by getting it wrong, so they tend to be less conservative than professional scouts. They're not going to get fired for sticking their neck out on a player that's fallen under the radar, unlike a Scout or Coach who can be fired for taking a chance and it not panning out (Royce White anyone?).

So, give the coaches some credit, and the scouts some understanding. It's hard to go too far out on a limb when you have a family to feed.

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Oops, but that's great also. Love David Thrope. Great trainer, and even better person who says it like it is.

He wasn't wrong saying Kevin Martin looks set for a career year this year, and he certainly wasn't wrong when he said Marcus Morris could play the 3 with some time for adjustment in his rookie year. Specifically he said it was most 4s can't play the 3, it's a lot harder guarding on the perimeter. But Morris can because it looked like he's been playing 3 his whole career before Kansas (and only moved to 4 at Kansas for team personnel reasons).

Heck, Morris even guarded Kobe last night, and it didn't look all that bad.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Rockets offense with Lin 'playmaking' out of PG position

Deleted