1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Executive of the Year? Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Saado, Apr 13, 2009.

1. arjun

arjun Member

wow awesome article

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly. Guys click the link even if you are not going to read it from there. These guys get paid based on how many people view the article link.

3. vernonmaxwell11

'nuff said. ferry wins! why is everyone on morey's nuts here at clutchfans? neither adelman nor morey should win anything until the rockets prove they are a good team.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thats great gm work.[/QUOTE]

You cannot count on other GMs being stupid
    [Joe Smith -is that the same Smith that had a WINK WINK deal that killed minnesota? I'm SSSUUUURRRREEE he would NNNEEEVVEER do something like that again *grin*]

Rocket RIver

5. Voltik

Voltik Member

Great article!

DM got Ron Artest for a pick, Donte Green (who has proved nothing so far), and an old Bobby Jackson. Thats pretty much nothing for Ron Artest and DM may have a good chance to re-sign him.

He traded Rafer Alston without hurting the team (so far in the season) and saving money at the sametime. Now we have Kyle Lowry to offset Brooks defensive limitations and who runs the point just as well as Rafer and he's young.

Taking a chance and signing Von Wafer on a full roster turned out be one of the reasons to our success when McGrady had been crap all season.

Knowing the value of Carl Landry and waiting out to sign him was a good move. Some GMs would have thrown the full MLE where Carl got signed for only 3 Mills.

He always makes moves which doesn't hurt our future. There are no bad contracts on the team. He now has more assets to work with then before. The Cavs GM has done a great job this season by aquiring Mo and West but DM has built our roster much deeper with no commitment to bad long term contracts.

1 person likes this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

great article, KD. very well written and enjoyable

and everyone at least click the link if you read the article here

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think you're severely overrating Ferry's job with that trade. Mo Williams was a superb acquisition, but it was a no-brainer move, and they were dealing from a position of strength. They had a valuable asset (Joe Smith's expiring contract) and cashed in on it - a job well done, but nothing to write home about. It's almost the same thing with Kevin Pritchard - he deals from a position of strength in that he has all of these assets at his disposal (an annual lottery pick and additional purchased picks) with which to make deals.

Daryl Morey creates positive advantages and turns dust into gold. He stole Scola for nothing. He got Landry for peanuts when other GM's would have caved. And while the Artest trade was analogous to Mo Williams in that they had expiring contracts, let's not forget that he created the situation beforehand the prior year by having the foresight to dump James/Bonzi. And most impressive of all, he turned an actual toxic asset in Alston into a positive one in Lowry by cashing in on Orlando's desperation. Now that's great GMing. And this is all against the backdrop of operating without 40% of the payroll in McGrady.

I'm really looking forward to see what Morey can do with his first real trade chip (McGrady's contract) this summer. He already passed the first test in not trading for Baron Davis.

1 person likes this.
  8. thacabbage

I think this is too simplistic of an assessment of actual managerial maneuvering because there is no accountability for real conditions. The equation should involve asking 'which guy factored in more in creating his team's position situation?' There's a strong case that Ferry's overall body of work has severely limited the Cavs, but narrowing the scope to this year, sure M.Williams has translated to the best record in the league, but without him how do they fare? They also had that trade asset available so this wasn't exactly a stroke of genius. The answer to the question is a resounding, Daryl Morey. Without his work, this team wins 25 games this year, plain and simple. I can't think of a single GM in the league who has more directly impacted his team's output in a position way.

If I recall correctly, while he did mention keeping statistics on clutch performance, there was also a quote mentioning the importance of relevantly insignificant moments.

Agreed, this was my only disagreement with the article. Carl Landry is an atrocious defender, and while Scola's defensive effort is never in question, he is average at best.

9. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

I bet it was not Daryl that signed an outrageous contract with T-Mac. :cool:

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great column by Kelly, and I agree with moes that the entire thing shouldn't be quoted, so click on the link! :)

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Even if you read the article on this thread, make sure to click on the link.

12. Saado

Saado Member

Sorry about that, I was unaware. I thought posting a link with the article was sufficient.

If any mod could edit and reduce it to a snippet, I'd appreciate it. I'm not able to make edits.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Epic ending. This is a fantastic summation of the Houston Rockets.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Since you're not giving the williams thing any credit, who would you rather have, mo williams and you're draft pick or ron artest and impending free agency? I can tell you, mo williams is 25 and a really good player at a position the rox have been trying to solve. Lowry and brooks are good players, but they're not as good as williams.

15. thacabbage

I agree, Mo Williams by a mile.

16. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Great read, thanks.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You know, i really think morey will get better with time and he starts to think about real people and link them up situationally. I say this because when i was listening to the gm of the bucks last year on sirius, i knew 2 guys that would be traded, yi and williams. It was mainly because he said they were soft in the front court and needed more of a distributer at the point. Then i linked him to detroit and the incoming scott skiles and that really put it in cement for me. When gm changes and coaches change, you have to be able to take advantage of the situation. Thats the next step morey has to take in gm progression. He needs to find a near all star quality player on a bad team that can play well on a good team. Although it was a travesty, gasol was that guy last year during the season. Williams was the guy in the offseason and to a extent artest. Morey needs to find that next guy. His contract willprobably have some years because of the fools gold of 2010. If he can do that, it can really set this franchise up for a few years.

18. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Great article, but it's going to be Ferry. Denver's leadership may even be ahead of Morey since the Camby move looks tremendous and getting Billups was the best move in the league this year by far.

The reason is the moves he made THIS year (Mo Williams being the big prize). Again: THIS year.

The moves Morey made for the current roster were essentially in place last year (matching Landry's offer was a no-brainer, though MAJOR props for not overpaying him). Choosing Wafer over Strawberry was the biggest new asset to the supporting cast.

Getting Artest for very little was a solid gamble and is bigger now than anyone thought it would be considering McGrady's injury.

I don't think there's enough information to determine the ramifications of the Alston trade, but it looks as if everything's steady. And of course, he got rid of the Francis gamble in order to sign Mutombo.

You know, the more you look at the moves (more than I initially realized), the more I think I've contradicted myself. Morey is stealth.

The one thing you are wrong about KD is that Morey IS a genius and he's just getting started... :)

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Lorenzen Wright???

Lorenzen who???

All I know is he used to be good and the Cavs signed him as a 3rd string back up C...kinda like Jamal Magloire....except Magloire was an all-star...do these clubs think they can go back to their old form??? Or are they just trying to make their roster sound better to the average fan...

20. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Great article, thanks.