1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Examining The Fit Of Possible Houston Rockets Trade Targets: Courtney Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corbe, Aug 1, 2018.

1. corbe

corbe Contributing Member

Examining The Fit Of Possible Houston Rockets Trade Targets: Courtney Lee
    Aug 1, 2018, 01:45pm

[​IMG]

Ever since last offseason, when they were heavily rumored to be in pursuit of now-soon-to-be-acquired Carmelo Anthony, the Houston Rockets have been attempting to unload forward Ryan Anderson by way of trade. Now, Anderson has over $40 million remaining on his contract which runs through 2020. Anderson, who fell completely out of Houston's rotation last postseason, will be the Rockets' third highest player next season, with his $20.421 million salary accounting for 14.96% of Houston's cap. With Anthony in tow, there will be little need for Anderson's limited skillset.

The only two routes to unloading the albatross which is Anderson’s contract is either trading him for someone with a less desirable contract or including him in a deal with some form of a sweetener. One possible target could be New York Knicks guard Courtney Lee, who still has around $25 million remaining on his contract ($12.25 million in 2019, and $12.76 million in 2020). At 32, Lee does not fit into New York’s youth movement but fits Houston’s current timeline for contention. With $110.57 million in total taxable salaries, New York is $13.16 million beneath the $123.73 million luxury tax threshold for 2018. Thus, as a non-taxpayer, if trading Lee alone, the Knicks could only take back Lee’s $12.25 million outgoing salary plus $5 million in a trade, an amount well short of Anderson’s $20.421 million figure. So for a match, the Knicks would need to include an additional smaller salary.

The 6’5 Lee would be an excellent fit on the Rockets, a team in search for a replacement for recently departed Trevor Ariza. Lee shot 40% from deep in each of the last two seasons, and 40% from deep in his two seasons with Houston back in 2010 through 2012. Lee also shot 92% from the free-throw line last season, so he is a tremendous late game option.

Lee has always held the reputation of being a standout perimeter defender, but strangely, he did not rank well last season in DRPM, finishing 80th among shooting guards at -1.58. This was worse than Rockets Gerald Green and Joe Johnson, both of whom were two of the team’s weakest links at that end of the court. However, this oddity might be more reflective of disparities in team defense and scheme rather than individual ability.

Lee is reputed to be a great lockerroom presence who would perfectly fit the veteran culture of this team. Moreover, my recollection of Lee from his first stint with the Rockets–ironically also originally acquired to replace Ariza–was as a disciplined player who rarely took gambles. He played completely within himself and the framework of the offensive system. Such a trait is highly desirable on a team that relies on James Harden and Chris Paul for much of its creativity.

Ideally, in losing two 6’8 wings in Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute, Houston would probably prefer a longer replacement than the 6’5 Lee. But if they strike out on other targets, Lee could and should be someone they inquire about before the start of training camp.

Link

The Greyhound 33 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wut the fook does this have to do with Melo? :p

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Knicks are a team that will not be taking back salary past this season.

Vivi and heypartner like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yup, and i'm totally fine with that, i still kinda like Courtney but i don't think he's what we need at this point.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

No he is not a good defender, and not worth our first round pick.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I loved Lee while he was here with Gogi, he was a true 3 and D combo guard. I don't know how much he has declined though. Damn time flies, he's 32 now. I still remember his rookie days in Orlando

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I like him and would take him on the team, but not for the cost of a first rounder like others have said.

Over time I've warmed to the idea of not just jettisoning Anderson for trash now that the clock is ticking towards the final year of his contract.