1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exactly who is our trade bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read, and often enjoy, a variety of trade proposals. Also many of us, including myself, expect there to be further roster action but the Rockets. Point guard and back up center being the most obvious needs in my opinion and I believe the majority of this board. My question is what do we have to offer as trade bait? Excepting the occasional lucky deal, player demands, or picture of a GM with a goat, you have to give to get. We know what we want to get, what do we have to give.

We do have the TE and it has value. But not to every team needs to cut salary. And there are other teams with TEs, so even when needed, there is competition. As an example the Rockets would not trade JJ (just for example could be anyone who is not a bad contract) away for an equivalent trade exemption. I think there are more teams like us, than those needing the TE. So it has value, but a limited amount.
    Here is how I see our player trade value…

Mo Taylor – perhaps our best “chip”. But let’s face it, he is at best a mid-line player with a larger than average contract, with a few years to run still. Not saying he couldn’t help somebody, but I don’t see a line forming to get him. In fact, my guess is that we have to attach something else to get someone to take him. Either a package of players or take back bad contract. Some trade value, but not much.

Pike – I think he was injured last year, and I would take a chance on him. There is always room for good shooters on pretty much any team. And he is signed to a low cost contract. All pluses. On the other had, he just came off of a career bad year, and at best he is a substitution player. If he returns to his previous effectiveness I see other teams wanting him, but not to the tune of trading a starting point guard or a back up big. Normally one would not trade a starting quality PG for a second stringer like Pike, or a big second stringer for a small second stringer. Again, some value, but will not bring what we need.

Adrian Griffin – coming off an injury and on the later side of his career, I wouldn’t give up much.

Boki – I know some of you love him and see a lot of potential. First off, I don’t see that and second not many other GM’s have seen him play. I certainly would not give up a starting quality PG or decent big for a mid rounder who in two years hasn’t gotten off the bench.

Padgett or Spoon, I basically like both, but again, I wouldn’t give up a starting quality PG or decent back up big man for either.

Mike Wilks – completely replaceable
    Tyrone Lue – maybe some value, but that is where are trying to upgrade. I mean nobody is going to give us a better point guard for a worse point guard.
    Gains - same argument as Boki.

That leaves us our starters.
    I have to assume Yoa and McGrady are not for trade.
    JJ - I can’t see getting better value back. Beside it would seem so unfair to trade him after he played so well and can finally start a year in the same city where he finished the previous year.
    Howard – fills a position for us that may need an upgrade with him there (though I am optimistic that we will really like him) but will definitely leave a major hole if we trade him.

Combination. Maybe we can package two or three players for one. If I am the other team, I don’t see trading a starting quality PG for any combination of two or even three of those guys. Maybe a Utah or Sacramento with two point guards might trade one, but I don’t see our package as being enticing. This is a limited opportunity market at best (and by the way – I don’s see either Jackso/Bibby or Arroyo/Lopes being traded).

Maybe a bad contract big is available for a package. Especially with the TE thrown in. Seattle has several, and I am sure there are others.

Well after a page of opinion, I hate to admit that I don’t know where to go from here, but I will say that CD has a difficult job. Unlike last year (Mobley and Cato) we really don’t have much that other teams want.

Am I being to pessimistic? Can anybody spin this in a better light?

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It depends on what a team needs, but I don't think it would be hard for the Rockets to put together a package to get a PG, the only problem is other teams contending for that player or the team not wanting to trade the player. The type of PG the Rockets need anyway they shouldn't have to give up much to get them anyway.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Pike could bring in a decent backup center or PG from a team with a plethora of either.

For instance, if NY doesn't do anything major this offseason (like trade for Crawford), I could see a Pike for Othella trade. RealGM Knicks fans were interested in that during the season.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A good and interesting post.

MoT overpaid? I would have said heckyeah until recent signings. He is now fair market, on a skewed and relative scale. But what team might want him? Boston, Cleveland, Nets, Bulls. IF C's really did trade Atkins for Williams, then Cavs would likely be looking to 'dump' Ollie. Thus, Mo for Ollie and Battie seems very realistic, under that scenario. If Nets cannot pry SAR for Kittles + then I could envision a Kittles for MoT, Nets giving up the expiring contract but gaining 1.5mil fewer $, seemingly an imp't consideration to the Jersey Rats. A second transaction of Pike for Williams would seem to make sense, balancing off the rosters and saving another 1/2 mil or so.

I have no clue as to whether Boki and/or gaines will have a career in the NBA. Maybe the coaches already have a good feel, but they haven't shared it with me.

Back to Cavs and Pike, is it unrealistic to believe that Pike = Ollie = Daniels? Ollie's best days were in Seattle. To do this Rox might have to use TE for Booth.

I am a believer in Crawford's talent, tho unsure if he and JVG would fit better than JVG and Stevie did. But, if they believed in each other then I could see Howard for Crawford, possibly with TE having to be used for JYD.

Kings have problems with their budget and their stars, CWebb and Peja/and their end of the play-offs problems, initiated by Webber. They'll probably have to kiss and make up. Maybe Howard, as CWebb's buddy, is seen as necessary to keep CW happy. Maybe jettisoning Bibby for budget savings sounds good to the Maloofs. Bobby Jax is as good, or better than, Bibby and a whole lot less expensive. Howard and Pike and a #1 for Bibby? Mo and Spoon for CWebb? Who knows what is really possible?

Knicks and Mavs keep wanting to hook up, so it has been reported, with Walker and Thomas being the payoffs. Maybe they need a broker and maybe Rox get FWilliams for their trouble? Throw in the nets/Kidd mess to be, and Kidd to Mavs could become an interesting three-way, with a broker being necessary -- and a bigger payoff for Rox?

I think Dampier to Atlanta will emerge as early next week's storyline and will force Mavs, Lakers, Knicks, and Grizz to act quickly. Rox could be beneficiary of the need for speed.

Plenty of possibilities are remaining, these? and tons of others, and plenty of guys to benefit this Yao - TMac roster long before opening tip off. I am a wide eyed optimist that it will be good!

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

I agree with you. I don’t see much that this team can do to improve via trade.

The trade exception is not as valuable as it has been in the past. Not many teams out there seem to desperately need the TE. At least not desperate enough to give up a quality player for nothing. I think the best the Rockets can do with the TE is a deal similar to what the Jazz made last summer with the Rice trade. Take on a bad contract for the season and receive a #1 draft pick.

We’re not going to get comparable value for JJ.

I have to say this though. If they’re going to trade Taylor or Howard, they NEED to do it this summer because they will both be untradeable next summer. Both guys are going to play less minutes and average less points than they did last season. It may be in the best interest of the Rockets to do what they did with Kenny Thomas that one season they were basically showcasing KT for trading purposes.

Our best hope of improving is that Boki and Gaines pan out and the Rockets do really well with their drafting.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BTW - do you have said pic? How much do you want for it?

7. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

We need to aim at guys like Steve Blake with the TE or a second rounder or something. People just need to accept the fact that we aren't getting a big name PG.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe. Or maybe we will end up with Dre or Crawford or Bibby or someone not thought about yet or Daniels or Jones or James. I am really not worried.

I am more concerned about a back up 5, and a reserve 4/5.

9. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Pat, I think you're pretty much right on with your realistic analysis of our possible trading pieces. We pretty much maximized our most valuable assets already (Steve, Cat, & Cato) to get T-Mac & Howard, which was fantastic, but it doesn't leave much in the cupboard. Add in the fact that we don't exactly have 1st round draft picks to sweeten deals, you can see why CD hasn't exactly been able to bring in an All-Star PG for the players we don't want on our team. Contracts & cap space are the name of the game now in being able to make trades now, not necessarily talent. We're much more likely to get a talented player if we're willing to take on more salary. But, it's pretty hard to get a desirable player while giving away undesirable players and making that work under the CBA. So, realistically, our best chance at a PG or backup C is through free agency, and we'll likely have to be content with a non-household name, which is fine by me as long as he can run our team the way JVG wants.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we will have a VERY long offseason. right now cd is going after a PG. we dont even know if we will get one through FA's, TE, one of our PF's...until we know what we used to bring in a PG we cant really tell what is the next thing we can do. the only thing we know (or at least we should be hopefull for) is that we will find a PG that fits, a C/F that fits, and get rid of a PF.

these 3 things are doable. there are players that fit still available, we just havent heard much about them yet, so we feel like we arent getting anything good.

11. stroker

stroker Member

This may sound simplistic but I thought Mo Taylor was pure money$ last season within 10-18 ft and I recall him hitting several shots from that range consecutively (not that he would entertain the notion of passing up a shot) and also I'm reluctant to package Pike because I felt his high ankle injury effected his elevation on his J and his rythm on his stroke as well, so I don't feel good about trading either player. I thought Mo T stepped up his game and was downright wicked against the Lakers a few games in the regular season, and was almost A-U-T-O-matic for much of the season. Taylor's low post game is becoming lethal with his back against the basketsetting up the sick turn around J and it's not like Pike suddenly forgot how to drain the J from the perimeter....

....but that's just me

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I disagree with you on a number of issues. First and probably least is draft picks. We're done with 'em. We're close enough with Yao & TMac that we need predictable NBA experience over the crap shoot of pick #20 and beyond. As a part of getting where we are today, the draft was exciting...Francis, Yao, Griffin (at least initially) and Boki. We're beyond it but there is still a "hangover" effect in many posters' minds.

Secondly, and probably most importantly. Almost all of the big cap space has been spent (the Hawks being the sole exception) and numerous full MLE's have been used (Hedo, Cardinal, Mo Pete, Etan Thomas, Q, Derrick Fisher, and Barry among others). A big part of what remains player movement wise is trades. Any SnT for a BYC player (Dampier for more than $9.4m for example) will need contract balancing. Any trade that doesn't fit under the assigned player exception needs balancing. The Rockets can take a players or players to help moneywise. Is this going to be star caliber? No. But we don't need stars...we need players that fit.

Stated another way, the TE is not a device for signing FA's and that is the where we currently are in terms of 2004-05 player movement. Remember also that all of the teams losing players to the Bobcats got TE's as well and none of them have come into play yet either. The timing is just not there yet. Fortunately, all of those were small (Jahidi White being the sole exception).

Also, your "the trade exception not as valuable as it has been in the past" comment is a leading misleading. The concept of a traded player exception is new to the current CBA. The concept is still new to the entire league.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

What players would you have in mind?

I've been trying to think of scenarios where the TE could benefit the Rockets and I just haven't been able to think of any possible trade worth pursuing.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You know, I agree. A lot of people harp on ths contract, but in reality MoT is our only legitimate 6th man. He is a lousy rebounder, but he is a great 2nd-wave scoring option.

I think we should keep him IMO.