1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exactly Halfway Through The Season. R U Happy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Jan 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, we've reached the technical "mid-point" of the season (41 games). How have we done so far? I think we've under-achieved a bit, but definitely not horribly.

Should Be: 29-12

Verdict: Happy, with a slight pause.

2. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Considering all the injuries we had, I think we should be very appreciative of what this team was able to accomplish.

When (and if) Tmac and Artest come back fully recovered, we can be a very very good team.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Happy with the record for the most part, but very disappointed with the injuries and the games that were lost against weak teams. In most cases the Rockets came out unprepared mentally and physically. I hate the loser attitude of what is the least we can do and still win. However, recently, the team is playing more aggressively and cohesively. Von Wafer has been a pleasant surprise. Brooks was really playing well, but has slumped of late. Yao has made a good deal of progress and is playing a bit more aggressively. Scola has been steady and Landry has done well. Overall, I give the first half of the season a B-.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're still in it and have battled through adversity. If we can come out through this strong and with a strong and ready Tmac this team will be riding a wave of momentum with the 2nd easier part of the schedule and a healthy(hopefully) roster.

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I expected a slow start. I wouldn't have guessed Shane would be a scrub, TMac would be a jerk and Ron's wife would be fretting about his next contract.

I'm content with the record, but I'm far from happy.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Getting Mutombo back is huge! Wafer playing the way he is playing is unexpected in a great way. Aaron Brooks has improved a lot. You have Brent Barry. You have Scola/Landry combo with Hayes as a dirty man. Battier is a top defender in the league with Yao the best center. Now add all that with getting Ron and Tracy back healthy... you have a championship team.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

5th seed...

we should be no less than 3rd

8. FFz

FFz Member

does this mean that we still have the possibilities of winning 70 games?! Git'r done!

Good first half of the regular season...

9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

There's a lot to be optimistic about. We've had arguably the toughest schedule of anyone and have had to deal with injuries. And last year before the AS break we were what, barely a .500 team?

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I agree with JVG in that the Rockets have actually over-achieved considering everything. I think based on everything they've endured through (schedule, injuries, etc) and still have the record they have, they have to be the most dangerous team in the second half once they get healthy.

I'd say I'm optimistically happy

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

Well if the last 5 games are any indication, this team has kicked it into gear and is going to steam roll for the rest of the year.

I'm happy-ish.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm leaning toward more unsatisfied than content. Locker room tensions, disagreements between players and coach, and melodramatic moody star players might not be anything new in the league. Just that who'da predicted in preseason THIS team would be having those issues? For me its more frustrating than the injuries...takes a little luster away from the respectable record they've still managed to accomplish through all that.

Fortunately the team seems to be moving forward past that. And who knows, maybe the Rockets needed a little jolt of drama

13. nancychang

nancychang Member

Happy with the results, and will be happier if the locker room is happy. :rolleyes:

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm very happy we have Von Wafer.

15. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

On pace for 50-32, barring all the distraction and injuries...

If Artest and McGrady come back and contribute in a positive manner, we can get to another 55 win season, which is good enough for a 2nd seed in the West this year...I would imagine.

Happy-ish is the right word. A lot of horrible, horrible losses, though

-Lakers
    -Spurs
    -Celtics
    -Blazers

the list goes on.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

we've actually overachieved considering the injuries. but factoring in injuries i'm disappointed compared to my pre-season expectations.

I still think we have as good a shot as anyone to win a championship though.

17. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

B- is little harsh considering we have .610 at loaded western conference and one of the toughest schedule so far.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, I'm not. I expected much more. At this point, I feel like its 50/50 that we even get out of the first round. The best thing about this season has been Von Wafer.

19. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

With the season's expectations, we all expected them to be up there with Cleveland, LA, and Boston right now, but injuries got us once again. But being 25-16 isn't bad considering all the drama this team has been through. We should be happy we have such a talented team to have such a good record with a depleted roster, Im sure half the league would love to have our record if their team had faced as much adversity as the Rockets have so far

20. blender

blender Member

I'm satisfied, but that feeling is probably more due to how we've been playing recently than anything else.

Prior to the past few weeks, we've been surviving inconsistencies, injuries, lack of chemistry and, allegedly, locker-room tensions. Given all that, we are incredibly lucky to come out with a solid, winning record.

But if I had to give a grade, it would still be an "incomplete."