1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Rocket Kenny Smith weighs in on current club's progress

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 16, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On TV/Radio: Ex-Rocket Kenny Smith weighs in on current club's progress
    By David Barron, Houston Chronicle
    http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...-Rocket-Kenny-Smith-weighs-in-on-10938158.php
    February 16, 2017 Updated: February 16, 2017 1:49pm
    • [​IMG]
    Kenny Smith has so much on his plate these days, either through his Turner Sports duties at NBA All-Star weekend and the NCAA Tournament or at his Left Coast-based production company, that he's unsure if and when he will make it back to Houston to help the Rockets commemorate the franchise's 50th anniversary.

Smith said he attended a function last year during the Final Four in Houston celebrating the Rockets' mid-1990s championship teams but hasn't returned this season as the Rockets bring in former players for a series of anniversary appearances. He said he hopes to make it Houston, however, before the playoffs.

As for the current Rockets, he said the team has struggled in his view after being one of the NBA's early-season surprises.

"They're coming back to earth a little bit," he said. "We were surprised by how well they played early. One thing that hurt them last year was defense, and when they hired the (offensive-minded) Mike D'Antoni, I didn't think that was the problem, but they have adapted to his style.

"I've been a little skeptical the last three weeks, but they have been a pleasant surprise."

Keeping with the nostalgia turn, Smith said the role of NBA point guards is considerably different than during his tenure. If he had played in the 1990s the way that current point guards play, he said, he probably would have provoked the ire of Hakeem Olajuwon and Otis Thorpe.

"The things that are asked of you are so much different," he said. "They're playing pick-and-roll 80 percent of the time, and you're allowed to come down off the break and shoot the 3-pointer, and not just stationary 3s.

"If I had played like most of the guards play now, you would have had to fight your teammates every week."

The current style of play, though, would have created interesting lineup possibilities for the Rockets' cast of characters.

"The guys today are ball-screen guys. They're on the floor to ball screen and rebound, unless you can shoot 3s," he said.

"You can play smaller now, so you could play Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon together. You'd have four guards, and Draymond Green would have to guard Clyde.

"And then you'd have Mario Elie coming off the bench. What else would you need? That would have been a very hard team (for opponents) to guard."

Smith busy elsewhere

Off the court, the arrival of a new presidential administration makes this an interesting time for the off-the-court discussions that have become a staple of TNT's "Inside the NBA" with Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'neal.

"The NBA is never immune to what is going on," Smith said. "Any religious issue, any social issue, any sexual issue, is going to hit the NBA the same way it hits society. There is a like-mindedness that is common of people in the same profession, and there is a consciousness (among NBA players) that I'm grateful that is starting to become aware.

"Without question, we (on "Inside the NBA") have set the precedent to be free-spirited and to talk things seriously or with fun. I think we have become enablers for that. Having a voice to discuss what is going on feels empowering at times."

Smith also is focused these days on his work with Smith Entertainment Group, his TV and music production company in Los Angeles, and the careers of his daughters. His daughter Kayla Brianna was nominated for the iHeart Music Awards as best new R&B artist, and his daughter Monique is scheduled to appear on an ABC sitcom slated for this fall from the producers of "Blackish."

All-Star Weekend schedule

Marv Albert will call his 22nd NBA All-Star Game as part of Turner Sports' weekend activities, working alongside analysts Reggie Miller and Chris Webber with reporters David Aldridge and Kristen Ledlow, the latter being the host of "NBA Inside Stuff" who will fill the slot held for so many years by the late Craig Sager.

TNT begins Friday with the Rising Starts Challenge at 8 p.m., followed by Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal telecasting from Champions Square in New Orleans. Kevin Harlan will host "All-Star Saturday Night" at 7 p.m. with Kenny Smith, Miller, O'Neal and Ledlow.

The requisite All-Star Weekend silliness will be embodied by "NBA Talent Challenge" at 4 p.m. Saturday, featuring such riveting moments as the Heat's Chris Bosh playing guitar and Devin Booker of the Suns paying table tennis.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Coming back to earth with the 3rd best record in the NBA.

If Rockets had prime Hakeem and Otis, the Rockets wouldn't be playing 80% pnr...

Ramo$e and douglasreedy1 like this.
  3. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I dont like kenny that much as an analyst... i dont feel like he is fair, probably because he knows that panel up there doesnt like the rockets very much and he is drinking the cool-aide

4. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Agreed, when he is here is says how much he loves the Rockets and etc., but on TV, he never gives us enough credit. I'm not asking him to be a homer, but he discredit's the team every chance he gets.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

but you are asking him to be a homer

what credit should we be getting? more than Warriors or Cavs? more than the Spurs?

how do we measure this 'credit'?

cbs1507 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kenny is good people.

Remember when he was a head coach possibility? ;)

snowconeman22, Ramo$e and BigShasta like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Very disrespectful to call Kenny an ex-Rocket -- Kenny is a Rocket for life.

cbs1507, Ramo$e and tinman like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I vote for ABS to be the next head coach. who's with me?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

They should have him instead of Moochie and Aaron brooks for 'Legends'

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes I remember

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bumping a Feb 2017 thread? You're better than that Tinman.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

People don't remember stuff. You have to remind them.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I appreciate Kenny for what he brought to the Rox during the championship years ... But his bark has always been WAY louder than his bite .

He just loves the sound of his own voice a bit too much for me . I'll take the silent and humble type every day .

Houstunna and D-rock like this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

So this is what happens during the ASB? All these Kenny Smith threads gotta come out!

tinman likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

any "ex rocket" who hates on the rockets is dead to me.

Houstunna, Game7 and rocketsmetalspd like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tinman waging a one-man thread-bumping campaign to prove Kenny isn't a total asshat.

Let me help you, Tinman: Kenny had a hand in the Rockets winning two titles. Since the late '90s, he dumps on us as much as Shaq does.

Dude's not worth defending, in my opinion. Give me Mad Max or Sammy BigBalls any day.

BamBam, Houstunna, Game7 and 6 others like this.
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Slow down with the necrobumps, we got eight more days without games to go!

joeson332 likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No one needs reminding of anything. Those that know, appreciate Kenny being a Rocket and what he brought before and to the championships.

I also remember Kenny being the whipping boy of the team. He had so much trouble with the physicality of the game and was wildly inconsistent. Sound a bit like someone on this years team? So many fans b****ed, moaned and wanted him gone, but whatevs.

I don’t need Kenny being a homer, but I don’t care to listen to some of the BS because he may be a little salty either. That said, I don’t really care all that much.

I appreciate Rockets history, it’s important for many reasons. Success throughout history is what makes the great franchises great. But. Come. On. Man. Sometimes it’s just too much.

rocketsmetalspd likes this.
  19. rocketsmetalspd

For one Kenny was not at the game where the Championship team players were being celebrated. He chose to do his NCAA gig instead. He did appear in pre recorded video on the jumbo tron where he went on to say to the current players "Take a look at the Championship players in attendance that is what a Championship team is all about and what it takes to win a Chip" I was at that game. Rockets played the Denver Nuggets that night Harden went on to score 50 pts!

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The team is coming back down to earth with their 10 game winning streak!

And has struggled their way to the best record in the NBA 2/3 of the way through the season!

LOL at Kenny's asinine assessments!