1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Rocket Elie Interviews for Bobcats coaching job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, May 1, 2007.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6764154

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Former Houston Rockets guard Mario Elie interviewed Tuesday for the Charlotte Bobcats' vacant head coaching job.

Elie's agent, Tony Dutt, confirmed he met with Bobcats part-owner Michael Jordan and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff.

Elie's audition came a day after former Hornets and Cavaliers coach Paul Silas interviewed for the job.

The Bobcats are expected to interview a least a half-dozen candidates to replace Bickerstaff, who served as the expansion team's coach and GM in its first three years. Bickerstaff is staying with the team in a front office role.

Elie played 11 years in the NBA with six different teams and helped lead the Rockets to consecutive NBA titles in 1994 and '95. He's served as an assistant coach with San Antonio and Golden State. Elie did not coach last season, serving as a television analyst for the Rockets.

Elie told Houston television station KRIV-TV he thinks he has a shot at the job.

"All I can do is wait. I'm sure they are going to meet with other people. I think I am as qualified as anyone," Elie said.

Hiring a coach will be the first major decision by Jordan, who has the final say on all basketball decisions.

Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell, who is in the final year of his contract, has also been mentioned as a possible candidate. Mitchell has a close relationship with Bickerstaff and was hired as Charlotte's first assistant a month before he was hired by Toronto.

But Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo has said he wants to sign Mitchell to a new contract.

i hope he gets the job.

2. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I hope he gets the job. I really like the JYD.

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I hope he gets it. He is a class act.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Good luck to Mario! He'd be a great choice, and if that team can stay healthy, they've got some good pieces. He could be successful in Charlotte.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

No wonder he wasn't at the game yesterday.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Good.

I hope he gets it.

Glad it's in the east too.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Find him a veteran, knowledgeable, dynamic assistant coach... And he will excel. If his players take on his mentality... Perfection.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he'll put heart in that organization.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I love Mario Elie.

He should be a god in Houston after that shot.

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

What is is experience again? I know he's had an assistant coach gig before right? I wish we could find him a role in our organization but I guess there's no way that could happen if he wants to be a HC.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He should've had the Sacramento job last year. Geoff Petrie wanted him but the Maloofs decided that Eric Musselman was a better idea. Good thing that worked out well. :rolleyes:

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Go Super Mario!