1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex Head of US Special Forces: Obama ignored ISIS because it did not fit reelect narrative

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 1, 2015.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/politics/michael-flynn-obama-isis/index.html

[rquoter]Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama's former top military intelligence official said Tuesday that the White House ignored reports prefacing the rise of ISIS in 2011 and 2012 because they did not fit their re-election "narrative."

"I think that they did not meet a narrative the White House needed. And I'll be very candid with you, they just didn't," retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."

Flynn, who has been critical of both Obama and former President George W. Bush's handling of the Iraq War and involvement in the Middle East, said that Obama was served poorly by a small circle of advisers who were worried about his re-election prospects at the time.

The story they needed to tell, he said, was that pulling troops from Iraq would not leave the region vulnerable to rise of a radical Islamic group like ISIS.

"I think the narrative was that al Qaeda was on the run, and (Osama) bin Laden was dead ... they're dead and these guys are, we've beaten them," Flynn said, but the problem was that despite how many terrorist leaders they killed they "continue to just multiply."
    [/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

Did you seriously just create a new thread to post an article that already has a thread about it just to make a point? Pathetic.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You can discuss the subject wherever you like. I was just trying to do basso and everyone else a public service by directing them to the already ongoing conversation if they didn't realize. I'm not trying to play thread police.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but the first thread has the full interview from Der Speigel. I posted it. :cool:

Anyhow, thanks for posting this new interview. But since there's a thread about Gen Flynn already, I probably won't repeat my comments here. That's just what happens when you start new threads on the same subject.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There's simply no debating the fact that Obama completely misjudged ISIS. Was it for political reasons or simply his buffoonery? Probably a lot of both.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think that the overall perspective of the interviews and articles are different enough to have separate discussions but whatever.

In the end, the actions of this nation have obviously have impacted the situation in the Middle east negatively regardless of the man in charge of the country.

IMO the fact that Obama would base his actions toward a situation with the potential of negatively impacting the lives of people all over the world on whether or not it would negatively impact his election prospects shows a distinct lack of moral fiber.

How many people have lost their lives and homes because Obama needed reelection?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Didn't command JSOC. Didn't command SOCOM. In what way was he in charge of special forces?

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@basso and @bigtexxx do bring it upon themselves but the instant troll for everything they post is annoying. makes you think what's the point of D&D. there's no D&D, it's point and laugh at people you disagree with like a bunch of children.

i disagree with @basso and @bigtexxx 99.99% of the time. both are extremely biased and drive their agenda's relentlessly. but i give them credit, when they come with something it's usually based on some article, facts, data, etc... it's their timing and interpretations that i usually have take issue with.

but their counterparts, they come back with IB4TL, and LOCK, and other juvenile mockery. if you chose to not debate and discuss with folks so set in their ways, no problem. i get it, makes perfect sense. very easy to ignore and move on but you just can't help yourselves can you. all of you all should be embarrassed.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

On the contrary: Americans gobble up ISIS like Taylor Swift-flavored Ben n Jerry's.

Any worthy politician worth will make hay from ISIS.

Do you seriously think Obama is not benefiting from ISIS? This is a great opportunity for him to bomb some Muslims, and what American doesn't feel warm and fuzzy about that?

ISIS is not a problem for Obama; it's the gift that keeps on giving. This is just an opportunity for Lt. Gen. Flynn to take a shot at a "lib."

Btw, interesting how Lt. Gen. Flynn calls "Bin Laden dead" a "narrative":