1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evolution of the NBA Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Feb 15, 2020.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Please DON'T sign him to an extension.
    I love PJ, but he'll be turning 36 after his contract ends (end of 2020-21 season).

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Evolution? More like throwback.

Nothing Bender has done that Walton didn't do first and better.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would not compare Walton with Bender because there is no comparison at this time obviously.

But Bender does provide perimeter defense and 3ball shooting.

Neither Tyson nor Harty can contribute these critical elements necessary for Rockets 5 Out offense and switch everything Defense.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

when you think about the rockets franchise as a whole... the team employed some of the greatest centers of all time (moses, sampson, hakeem, yao, dikembe, camby). it's kinda funny to think that the rockets, a team with such rich history in the center position, are the first team to actually go full-time small ball.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/features/thabo-sefolosha-shines-small-ball-center

More love for Thabo!!

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-Draymond-Green-P-J-Tucker-makes-15069171.php

Draymond says PJ is key to small ball line up.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/features/pj-tucker-nba-most-respected-role-player

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No he should chill and not post 300 times a day.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA on wearing out PJ:

"Most of the time, PJ will be on the toughest guy—different guys through the league that are wing players. The LeBrons and all those guys. He'll guard those guys. He does have to box out centers sometimes, but like I said, everybody switches. He probably plays just as much on the perimeter as he does on the inside, and same for James, same for Russell, everybody."

Low Post Defense:

The Rockets have defended 404 post-ups this season, the second-highest number in the league. In the four games since the trade for Covington, they have defended 41 post-ups, resulting in 12 turnovers, 14 baskets, 12 missed field goals and four fouls.

"You want to make people adjust, and I feel like that's what we're going to do," Carroll said. "Make people adjust and make them play the way we want to play."

https://syndication.bleacherreport....n-rockets-extreme-strategic-makeover.amp.html

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

As a 6'2 center while playing for my HCC bball team back in 2001, I blame my parents for me being born at the wrong time... But I do have a grandson on the way... So I may have struck gold!.. $$$$$$

D-rock likes this.