1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Evidence That Howard & Asik Should Be Able To Play Together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 13, 2013.

?

Which Front Court Would be Better?

1. Dwight Howard and Omer Asik

93.8%
  2. Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan

6.2%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

At the end of last season, Kevin McHale inserted Greg Smith in the starting line-up after the Rockets took consecutive ass whoopings in the post from Indiana and Memphis. The Clippers were coming to town and Blake Griffin had destroyed the Rockets in the previous games.

The Greg Smith Experiment

Up until that point Greg Smith had played pretty much exclusively as a back-up 5 to Asik, but this game Kevin McHale inserted him into the starting line-up for the first time as a power forward playing next to Omer Asik. Greg Smith does not have an outside game, like Asik his offense is limited to within 10 feet of the basket and that’s being generous.

Greg has some low post game and some power so how did the Rockets open up the game? By dumping the ball into the post for Greg to go one on one with Blake Griffin. From that point on the Rockets absolutely controlled the paint. Lob city never happened and Blake Griffin had by far his worst game of against the Rockets as a complete non-factor. At one point Blake’s frustration was more than evident. The Rockets dominated the boards, controlled the paint and won the game by 17 points without the use of James Harden.

Greg Smith remained the starter at Power Forward for the remainder of the season.

The Rockets started out the same way against Orlando in the same game, absolutely dominating the Magic in the 1st quarter. Greg had 10 points and 2 rebounds in the first quarter and Omer had 10 points and 5 rebounds in that same quarter. The Rockets dominated the paint once again and just destroyed the Magic.

Greg’s problem at Power Forward was that he could not stay out of foul trouble. He was rendered useless after the 1st quarter of the Magic game because of foul problems. He finished with five fouls in that game.

When Smith was on his game the Rockets also destroyed the Trailblazers in Portland behind a 19 point 5 rebound effort from Smith and 9 points and 11 rebounds from Asik. And just to prove that two low post players do not effect James Hardens game, he still had 33 points and took 8 foul shots.

The problem with Smith and Asik in the lineup was always Greg’s consistency and his foul problems. Put Greg was not a stretch 4 or a finesse 4, he is a traditional back to the basket POWER Forward. Greg’s offensive game does not extend out of the post. If Greg and Omer can be effective then there is no doubt in my mind that Omer and Dwight would be just absolutely dominate.

Omer Asik and Dwight Howard Would Be Great Together

- Dwight Howard does everything Greg does but a 100 times better, plus a ton of stuff Greg doesn’t do.
    - Dwight Howard is not going to be a foul machine like Greg.
    - Dwight Howard is going to be consistently good every night (as will Omer).

The Clippers are an example of a team that starts two low post players in DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griifin. I’ll take a combo of Omer and Dwight over those two any day of the week. Dwight is just as good as or better offensively than Blake and Omer is better on offense than DeAndre (who contributes zero on offense outside of the dunk). Offense is where the comparison between these two groups of players end. Dwight and Omer are superior rebounders and there is just no comparison to defense. Both Dwight and Omer are superior to either Blake or DeAndre on defense and it’s not even close.

Obviously there are teams with stretch 4’s that could cause the Rockets issues with Asik and Dwight in the starting line-up for extended periods such as the Pacers, Heat, Mavs and Grizzlies. Certainly the Rockets can stagger Dwight and Omer’s minutes and use guys like TJones or Parsons to guard the stretch fours.

Remembering Ralph and Akeem

Everyone likes to talk about how Ralph moved to Power Forward when the Rockets drafted Dream but what a lot of people don’t remember is that Ralph played a ton of center after the Rockets drafted Dream. Bill Fitch did not like to have both big men on the bench at the same time. When ever Dream went to the bench Ralph moved over to the center spot and Jim Peterson came in as the Power Forward.

I’m guessing that Kevin McHale would use this philosophy. At no time (unless there is an injury or foul trouble issue) would both Asik and Dwight be on the bench. The real question in my opinion is who will be the backup Power Forward?

With Asik and Howard manning the paint the post would be closed for the other team.

#1 crash5179, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. lowlife

lowlife Member

I remember those games, they were DOMINATING.

I'm not sure if it will work but at least Rockets should try it for 10-15 games.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph.

4. crash5179

What about them?

5. amaru

amaru Member

Clearly you haven't seen Z-Bo play.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Omer Asik and Dwight Howard will not be playing significant minutes together so that shouldn't really be an option.

7. arjun

arjun Member

umm they both can shoot mid range, post up, and gasol can pass..thus they complement each other well.

asik can't shoot nor post up nor pass that well...dwight can post up but cannot shoot.

asik will be nothing btu clogging up space on offense with dwight there...more importantly without being able to shoot the defense can easily double dwight

8. crash5179

That's what you say, but Kevin McHale makes that decision not you or me.

I'm just pointing out evidence that they can coexist together on the court at the same time. I do think there is a very good chance that McHale is going to try them out together to see if it will work. If DeAnde and Blake can start and play together then there is no reason at all that Omer and Dwight can't.

9. AFS

AFS Member

Or Marc Gasol either. Both of them have a midrange jumpshot.

10. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

They can both shoot, even Blake can shoot a little bit. Neither Dwight or Asik have a jumpshot.

11. crash5179

You can not leave Asik alone in the post. Period. He is not great at creating his own shot but if you leave him he will catch the ball and dunk it on your ass. Didn't you watch the Rockets play last season?

Greg Smith and Asik did not clog the lanes for Harden last season so why should I think Dwight and Asik will?

Yes Gasol and Zebo are one of the combos that would give Asik and Dwight issues... Didn't you read my post? I said that. Maybe you just read the title of the thread and didn't read the post.

12. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

nice thread crash!

13. crash5179

Thanks

14. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

The best argument I've heard for Dwight at the 4 and Omer at the 5 is the Duncan/Bosh/Garnett/Nowitski/Gasol (Pau) rule.

Essentially, those guys were Centers playing PF the majority of their careers.

Taking them out of the 5 and putting them at the 4 did several things for them.

1) Due to being one of two 6'10"+ players on the floor, the other team's tallest defender is often drawn off of them and put instead on the center, thus making post scoring easier for them. In the case that the tallest defender was not assigned to them, the other team often lost the rebounding battle.

2) It often took the daily bump and grind away from those stars. They now had another big on the floor to patrol the paint and absorb some of the punishment. They were able to not expend so much energy on the defensive side of the floor, and yet still make a significant impact on the boards and in help defense. It also kept them out of foul trouble.

I'm not saying it will work in Houston, but it has potential, and I'm excited to see what the Rockets cook up with Omer and Howard on the same team. Omer is a work horse and a valuable contributor, he might flourish in a role where he can focus on doing what he does best (defending and rebounding), and Dwight might relish being able to focus on other parts of his game since he isn't the sole one responsible for defending the paint and rebounding anymore.

15. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I remember the twin towers was somewhat effective but the only thing about Olajuwon does best was he ran faster on the defensive side than Sampson.

I think Greg and Howard will be a lethal dose of defensive presence in the paint! They will tear them apart!

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Compelling facts. Good stuff. Ive always looked for reasons as to why it can work with them both, I really hope this pans out.

Theres really no need to move Asik, hes that 3rd borderline star along with Parsons, we have all the pieces already in place. With time they will emerge.

This team has every component to win a Championship THIS season.

17. AVoiceInACrowd

Foul troubles was one of the reasons that Smith was shut down in the Orlando game. But, the main reason was that they took off Harris and switched a bigger, stronger Vucevic on to him. Smith looks great when a smaller PF is guarding him, not so much with a bigger guy on him. Smith will benefit greatly playing with Howard in certain offensive match-ups.

I'm really hoping that Asik and Howard can play well together, since that is the only way to maximize Asik's skills. I have no idea, which of the 2 would be guarding the PF. I would think it would be Howard since he is quicker and more athletic than Asik.

18. crash5179

Obvioiusly the situation might dictate that they don't spend lots of time of the floor together like playing against Indy or Memphis just because of the type of Power Forwards they have.

I think Greg is actually better against other big power forwards such as Blake Griffin. I think the ones that give him trouble are the ones that pull him out of the post.

Greg did have 5 fouls in that Orlando game though.

19. conquistador#11

NBA, you've got a BIG problem. :)

it will work.

20. crash5179

I think a couple of things about Asik is that he is very smart and a very underrated passer. I think it can work out very well.