1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everything does NOT happen for a reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 8, 1999.

1. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Will,

I agree with you, but is this the place for Religion. I hope this BBS doesn't have to endure 6 months of arguements on the subject. Their will never be any consensus on this issue among all the people on this planet and we definately are not going to find the truth to this topic by arguing on a sports BBS site.

2. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

I hate to cut the mourning short here guys, but I feel like everyone is crying like they've lost a family member. It's unfortunate that Barkley's career had to end this way, but we knew it had to end sometime and we knew it would be without a championship.

As far as the religion thing goes, God gave us something called free will. That means that God doesn't necessarily determine where we'll end up because that is determined by our will. We will choose whether or not to believe in God. We will choose how to react to the situations that God puts us in. However, to say that God knows how we will react doesn't take away our will, it simply means he knows our heart and its ways.

------------------
    Rockets When? Rockets When?

3. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Some one answer me this:

If my body is telling me that I need to take a pee, is it God's will that I go take a pee?

...And if I choose to hold it for a while (to finish typing this post), does it mean that I've just disobeyed His will? Or was it His will that I hold it?

Have I no say in any of my actions? Does everything happen because of His will?

If so, then why does He give us a choice:
    Have faith or don't have faith and face the consequences. Believe or don't believe and face the consequences.

If everything happens because of His will, then we would have no will of our own. If I killed someone, then it is because of His will .... therefore, I'm not responsible for the crime, He is. When Cain killed Abel, was it through God's will? If so, why was Cain punished?

Clearly, the Book is full of examples where God simply watches and judges as His children make their choices (good or ill). God is all about choice (I think we can all agree on this). Because without choice there is no good or evil, no crime, no punishment, no heaven, no rebellious fallen angels, and no hell. God allows us to make our choices, to pick our paths ... In short, we pick our fate.

Of course, that doesn't mean God never interferes in the affairs of Man .... Every once in a while, he might perform a miracle here or there ... or he might even bring his wrath down on some rotten scoundrel somewhere. He's God. He can do what he wants.

As for whether God had a hand in Chuck's fateful last game, that's a tough one to figure out. A man's relationship with his God is an intensely personal relationship ... So i guess we should leave it up to Chuck to figure out if he was touched by the hand of God.

Now, I gotta go take a pee (and I hope He doesn't decide to strike my presumptous, unfaithful arse down while I'm in the bathroom .... NOBODY WANTS TO LEAVE THE WORLD THAT WAY.)

[This message has been edited by theWIGMAN (edited December 10, 1999).]