1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everyones Favorite Referee Calling it Quits

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tim562, Jan 2, 2016.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14484494/long-nba-referee-joey-crawford-retire-season?ex_cid=espnfb

After 39 years, longtime NBA referee Joey Crawford says he is hanging up his whistle after the season.

"I'm done," Crawford told the Delaware County (Pennsylvania) Daily Times.

Crawford, 64, has been sitting out this season after undergoing knee surgery. He plans to return to the court by March 1 and hopes to referee through the playoffs.

"There's nothing to be sorry about. You know what happens? It's not that you lose your passion. I have that. That's insanity," Crawford told the newspaper. "But it just comes to the point where you say, 'I don't want to make a fool out of myself.' And it's been so good that I want to go out on a high note. I don't want to go out on a low note. I want to be in the NBA Finals, and I don't want to be reffing just for the sake of reffing."

Crawford has been an NBA referee since 1977. He has officiated 313 postseason games, most of any active ref, including 50 NBA Finals games.

In April 2007, Crawford was suspended for the rest of the regular season and playoffs after ejecting San Antonio Spurs star Tim Duncan from a regular-season game against the Mavericks for laughing on the bench. In a statement released by the NBA after the suspension, then-commissioner David Stern said Crawford "failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management."

"I learned a lot from it," Crawford told the Daily Times of the experience. "It made me a better ref. Thank God that David Stern brought me back. But I learned a lot from it."

Crawford received the Golden Whistle Award from the National Association of Sports Officials in 2014, the highest honor for a referee.

"It has been a good run," he said.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To be honest, he was the most decent ref that ever lived. Think about the horrid clowns that adorn the authority these days.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Best ref ever

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UdMMYz0fKpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Curious if this has anything do with the upcoming meeting of owners that Les mentioned in the GSW broadcast.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Retires when Kobe retires...

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Game rigging will never be the same. :(

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Finally, that fat **** should think carefully what his next move will be and not draw anymore attention to himself. 100% sure he's involved in some scams and rigging.

8. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Joe Crawford Farewell Tour 2016.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The best 6th Man of All Time...lol

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You mean 4th man...

[​IMG]

Got to have a Joey Crawford appreciation thread.

11. Handles

Handles Member

Him playing defense on Steph curry was hilarious. Halting Durants FT was messed up given the timing.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The laughing technical on Tim Duncan laughing is one of the worst by a ref. He put himself above the game by ejecting someone that is just laughing directly, or indirectly at him.

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

He's a living joke.

14. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Now I'm just waiting for Ken Mauer to go also.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

the duncan ejection was an all-time fav. dude was just cuttin' up on the bench. :grin: handled it like a pro.

goodbye and good riddance, crawford.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Crawford is trash.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wugrOmbsV3U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm glad he's done. As coaches, we don't respect corrupt refs. The belief that he is one of the best is a myth.

18. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

And Tony Brothers.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

You can bet the NBA is already grooming another young ref to rig games for the next 30 years.