1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

everyone should be happy...right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 4, 2003.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I find it odd that we can beat a team by 30 points and people here are still pissed about the game. Personally I would have loved to see Yao Ming get 30 pts and 15 rebounds but giving a choice between that and a Rockets win and I'll take the win every time.

I just can't find much to complain about for the Rockets in this game other than Moochie. Sure there were times that Yao Ming was past over in the post but it was usually for a wide open jumper. I don't think we can complain about that.

There are two basic facts that I have always believed in:

1. The idea of a successful offense is to create a good shot not to necessarily get shots for one specific individual. I just don't think a player should normally pass up a good shot. Regardless of the style of offense played the goal is still to get a good shot.

2. Feed the hot hand. The perimeter shooters were hot tonight. Since they were hitting everything that they threw up it seemed prudent to let them shoot until they cooled off. Fortunately for our team our shooters never really cooled off.

Since our shooters were hot why not let them put the game out of reach early. In case no one has noticed the Rockets have another game in less than 24 hrs in New Jersey. Having our stars on the bench for much of the 4th quarter happened to be a real luxury afforded us by our perimeter shooters. Hopefully our team will still have its legs under them for tomorrow nights game.

Let me say that I think Yao Ming is the best offensive option on our team. Having said that I don't think we should force Yao Ming to take shots when there are better ones to be had any more than we would want Steve, Cat or Moochie to do it. Steve Francis played with in himself and forced very few shots.

I just hope we can put aside our arguing long enough to enjoy a 30 point win. I am sure we will have enough losses during the season to give us more than enough opportunities to debate Yao vs. Steve.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I cant argue one point you made.
    I dont think I could even expand on any of it..
    so why did I post you ask?

Very rarely these days do people tell someone what a good post they have made.

Yours is a great post..

People need to quit getting so worked up about the amounts of shots someone takes and look to see if they took good shots.

There were very few really bad shots tonight...Mooch was responsible for severla and I saw Cat driving into the packed lane for no reason several times..
    but other thanthat...everyone playe in the offense and did a helluva job on D...and like crash said...

allowed our starters to get some real rest to be fresh for the Nets.

good things are a-happening tonight....

by the way....the Rockets are playing 66% good ball and 33% bad.
    for the mathmatically challenged...2 good games and 1 bad.
    If they play at this rate we win 54 games.

hey, it could happen. ;)

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

exactly. you feed the players that are hot and we shot pretty well tonight. had this game been close down the stretch and the rocks needed him, yao might have had 15-18 shots. this game did not call for it and we won friggin 30.

4. crash5179

One other thing. Did everyone notice the two lob passes over defenders trying to fron Yao Ming? They both resulted in very easy baskets. I see steps in the right direction regardless of individual shot count.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's almost as if JVG made an adjustment or something. Who'd have thunk it. ;)

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

OH MY GOD!!!! an adjustment?

no way, dont you know the Rockets are too dumb(except for Yao) to adjust to new situations?

:rolleyes:

:D

7. Timing

Timing Member

I think I'd rather have seen us play how we need to play to be a playoff team this year and win by 10 then have us fall into some old habits and win by 30. We already know a lot of out guys are selfish with the ball and if this win puts us back into bad habits in future games then it would have been better it not happen.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Cat did take a horrible jumper with 2 defenders draped on him while Yao was wide open for a jumper.....Thats about it though.

i dont think Mo has ever passed out of the post. ever.

otherwise, it was a great game. love that braggs guy.

9. kryten128

kryten128 Member

Very well said Crash!

You can't argue with a win, especially when everyone except for Mo shot so well. There will be times when we'll need to jump on the backs of our main men Yao and Francis, but tonight was not one of them. I am a bit concerned about the other team members forcing it in the future and trying to take on a bigger role than they should for the good of the team. But I also don't see any point dwelling over it much so early in the season.

We'll all find out how it'll go soon enough, perhaps as early as tomorrow. :)

10. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Give the ball to the players with the hot hands you say? I would say that player is the player currently leading the leaque in fg%. And he is Yao ming. He is perpetually hot, no damn excuses, give him the f'n ball. So what they win tonight, they still play rudy ball, 9/10 time the ball won't fall like it did tonight. FYI, chicago was pathetic on defense, those 3 were wide open. Don't give the perimeter shooters too much credit. If they did this against the nets, then i'll change my tune.

11. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

There are two players in Rox team never pass the ball to others:

Mobley and Mo Taylor.

That is my observation tonight. How many bad shots they took? The difference is Cat hit couple of them and Mo T missed most of them.

12. crash5179

Selfish play? :confused: Where did you see that? Shot distribution was just about as even as it could get, ball movement was exellent most of the night (except when moochie was in the game), we had 22 assists and we had 5 players in double figures for scoring. If you are saying that the players were selfish because the shot was not made from the post every time I just don't agree at all.

Once again, ball movement was exellent.

13. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Maurice Taylor is a very good passer out of the post; what games have you been watching? It is rebounding he doesn't do.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about?

15. crash5179

You say yourself that our perimeter shooters were wide open but you don't want to pass the ball to them? :rolleyes: What the hell kind of logic is that? Give the shooters all of the credit in the world for knocking down those shots.

Yao was not the man with the hot hand tonight. Steve, JJ and Boki all shot better than Yao Ming tonight. Not that Yao Ming shot bad but those four were better tonight. Feed the hot hand or hands.

Sounds like you are more interested in Yao Ming leading the league in scoring instead of the Rockets winning.

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

i've honestly never heard anyone say anything remotely similar to that, and i watched every game last year. i can count on one hand the number of times that mo has passed the ball out of the post. In fact, he usually waits for the double team to come before shooting his jumper or hookshot.

however, i do think he might have passed the ball out of the post one time tonight, but maybe i was seeing things.

17. Nova

Nova Member

I'm with ya Crash.

Stop complaining about Yao's shots ya'll, at least for now. Enjoy the HUGE BLOWOUT. Jeez, when was the last time there was so much whining and moaning after a win like this? :mad:
    Ya'll can b**** all you want after the Rox:

a) Get blown out or lose a close game and Yao gets less than 15-20 shots because he was passed up in the post
    b) We win a close one just by sheer dumb luck or something and Yao gets less than 15 shots because he was passed up in the post

For now will some of you at least try to act like Rockets fans... please?

:p

18. haven

haven Member

We won more than we lost last year. Some of those wins were blowouts.

So, if the Rockets play the same way they did in each of those blowouts, they should win every game, right?

Wrong. The Rockets made the same mistakes in many of the wins that they did in their losses. Last season, the Rockets success was predicated on their perimeter players having hot nights. That's no way to win.

You win by having an offense that consistently creates good scoring opportunities. With Houston, the best way to do this is through the best, most efficient player - Yao Ming. The Rockets aren't doing this.

In fact, one can argue that blowout wins while playing "the wrong way" are actually a bad thing partly, because they reinforce bad behavior.

The Rockest played "the right way" the first game of the season. I was far happier with that win.

19. Timing

Timing Member

I said players known for selfish play. Moochie, Mobley, and MoT all play outside of how this offense should operate. When they get the ball they try to face up and go one on one instead of working the ball around to get an easy look. There's no problem with players taking wide open shots, there's a problem with players always trying to get theirs instead of playing within the offense. Mobley and MoT in particular are just itching to take their guys one on one as soon as they touch the ball. So much so that they consistently miss wide open teammates, especially Mobley.

BTW we shot 52% as a team and the three players I mentioned all shot below that. Mobley and Mooch had some wide open looks however outside of that their shots weren't within the offense we're trying to instill here.

Mobley 4-10
    MoT 2-9
    Moochie 2-5

20. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

All those shots were not in the theme of the offense. This was supposedly an inside out offense. The only game I saw that was inside out was the first game. Passing in this game sucked. Its rudy ball again. Taylor wants to shoot as soon as he comes in. Holds the ball, wait, wait, double teamed, shoot. Mobley, gets the ball, everybody out of my way. If these team is to win in a consistent basis, it has to go to what consisten works and that's inside to the post. Do you know why we had so many roller coaster rides last year? It was because of the perimeter shooting, up and down, up and down. Very inconsistent. If Yao can give you 48% a game, that should win you a great deal of games. Even if yao doesn't take the shots, let him pass it back to you. Wasn't that the whole goal of inside out? The whole third quarter, nothing was pass to the post. Taylor got the ball inside, but you'll never see it outside again with him in the post.