1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

everyone assumes that Dream would be the player in a Howard trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Feb 3, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

there is another

His name is Chuckles, and he is funny.

He's also Michael Jordan's best friend. He's also a 16 year vet that can be resigned in excess of 14 million dollars.

I'm finally comfortable with Chuck having played his last game, so this trip would be a bit on the expensive side for my fanship, but I wonder if it has ever crossed any minds. Jordan could talk Barkley into coming back; although I have no idea as to why the Rockets would want such an overpriced underachieving player on their team.

15.2 and 5 a game is something to brag about (yeah right) Kenny got that in less minutes during the 6 game stretch.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited February 03, 2000).]

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Acheche-
    I wonder of MJ talked to Howard recently. I saw Sportscenter highlights this morning & looked like Howard had a great game vs. KG, even played some good D (on the hi-lites at least).
    I can't see MJ trading for CB, because Chuck won't play again unless he thinks he has a great chance at the title. So, unless MJ is coming back to play next year, CB will not play in Washington.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Two things:

1.Washington is trying to move Howard before the trading deadline. If that's the case, then Barkely only has a $9M salary, so you can't trade him for Howard's $14M salary.

2. If you waited until the offseason and then resigned Barkley for the $14M maximum, that would be a raise of 64%. Any raise greater than 20% makes the player a base year player for 2 years. That means that the most the Rockets could get in return for Barkley is either a) his previous year's salary ($9M) or b) 50% of his new salary ($7M). Neither one of those will get you within 15% of Howard's $14M.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure on how base year works, but barkley is done. He could be used in conjuction with Walt and Drew to get to $14. I don't like Howard.

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Our only hope of trading Barkley would be to somehow sucker Don Nelson into taking him. And even Nelson's not that stupid.

6. aelliott

He could be used in conjuction with Walt and Drew to get to $14. I don't like Howard.

It never occurred to me before, but Barkley's a base year player right now (his salary jumped from $1M to $9M). The most that the Rockets could get in return for him would be $4.5M (50% of this year's salary) and the team he went to would have to be able to fit his entire salary ($9M) under their cap. In other words, any team that Barkley went to would have to have a minimum of $4.5M in cap space. Since the Wizards are some $18M over the cap, there's no way Barkley could be included in any deal with Washington without the Wizards first freeing up some $22.5M in cap space first.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Speaking of Don Nelson trading for Barkley...

Can anyone imagine a team with Barkley and Rodman on it? I'd leave Dallas out of fear.

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

8. Steve Phrancis

You know the Sorry guys up here in the morning on 1310 would be saying what a bad move it would be. Of course they don't know sports Dr. The only one that does is Norm..

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Aelliot:

Could a team looking to free up cap space this summer trade the Rockets $4.5mill worth of players, and then have that $4.5mill lifted off their cap when the retirement comes into play this summer?

10. bballfanatic7

bballfanatic7 New Member

Dream for Howard? Dumbest topic I have seen yet!

NO!

11. aelliott

Could a team looking to free up cap space this summer trade the Rockets $4.5mill worth of players, and then have that $4.5mill lifted off their cap when the retirement comes into play this summer?

If a team was $4.5M under the cap, they could indeed give the Rockets $4.5M in players for Barkley. They could then clear that $4.5M off their cap since Barkley's contract is up at the end of the year. It wouldn't even matter if he retired or not, they could simply renounce his rights. It wouldn't be any different than what Orlando's been setting themselves up to do next off season. Who are you thinking about making a deal with, Orlando or Chicago?