1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evaluate my Fantasy Football Team & Question About Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Last night around 6, I had my local fantasy football draft. It is a long story of how it got to be 6 Monday night, but it was about midnight when I finished drafting (our draft uses the auction method with each team having a cap of $200 - our league is also a keeper league but you have to sign guys to contracts at the amount that you drafted them at).

Everybody is required to draft 23 players - 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 PKs, 2 Team Defenses, and 5 alternates that can be any position. We also have 10 people in our league.

Here was my team:

QB - Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick
    RB - Garrison Hearst, Stephen Davis, William Green, Olandis Gary
    WR - Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith, Lavarenues Coles, Bill Schroeder, Corey Bradford, Quincy Morgan
    TE - Shannon Sharpe, Anthony Becht
    PK - Adam Viniateri, Phil Dawson
    DEF - Steelers, Broncos
    Alternates - Steve Beurelein, Gus Frerotte, Derrick Alexander, Chester Taylor, and Amos Zeroue.

I was pretty happy with what I got, but I already know that I'm in trouble with like Week 4 or Week 5 when the 49ers, Falcons, and Redskins all have byes.:( I guess I'll have to get someone via free agency or the waiver wire; however, there is really not much to choose from (Rodney Peete, Tony Banks, etc.). Anyway, I would like to know what people think about my team and who you would start in this first week.

Also, an even more important question is this one: are there any sites available that do not require paying a subscription that gives you updates on injuries and makes suggestions on who you should start, who is hot and cold, etc.?

I used to use the Sporting News, but they have gone to a member-only service where you have to pay. The same thing is the case with Rotowire. I know that there has to be some site out there that you can use for free. I would appreciate it greatly if someone can tell me of some free sites for checking this info for fantasy football.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I was pretty happy with what I got, but I already know that I'm in trouble with like Week 4 or Week 5 when the 49ers, Falcons, and Redskins all have byes.

Frerotte is good enough as a one week plug in.....

3. Manny Ramirez

Oh, I should have said that I have to start 2 QBs every week. Sorry for not saying that earlier. :(

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

That's not a bad team. Of course, some decisions are easy, like starting Garcia...though others aren't. I'm assuming you only have to start 2 WR and 2 RB, at least for now.

For WR, I'd start Rod Smith, but leave Jimmy Smith on the bench for week one. He may be in shape, but he probably won't start in the first week. Go with Coles, but move Jimmy Smith back in the starting spot next week.

At RB, I'd start Hearst and Davis, but watch Olandis Gary. Denver's announcement on who will start for them at RB is due any day now; down the road, if he starts, he should be in your starting rotation over Hearst. Green struggled somewhat in the preseason, so leave him on the bench for now.

The Steelers, Sharpe, and Vinatieri should complete the starting group; Becht and Denver aren't bad, but not at the level of their counterparts either.

5. Manny Ramirez

mfclark,

I forgot to mention that you start 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 PK, and a defense (I must have been in a hurry when I did this thread).

Yea, Garcia and Vick are no-brainers at QB. Davis and Hearst for now at RB (but hopefully Green makes an impact pretty quickly). Sharpe, Viniateri, and Steelers are other no-brainers.

However, I agree about waiting on Jimmy Smith and starting Rod Smith and Coles but I was thinking about Bradford over Schroeder and Morgan.

Any thoughts on the 3rd starting WR??

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

I wouldn't really consider Morgan, at least not until Couch's arm is healthy and his place in the Cleveland offense is better defined.

Bradford is a risk himself, owing to Carr's recent injury (though it's not to his arm) and the relative inexperience of the Texan squad as a whole. However, as a #1 option, he's pretty appealing.

Schroeder is the most experienced of the three, but he also faces a relatively tough Miami defense this week. Detroit wants to throw the ball, and as a #1 option in Detroit (no matter whether McMahon or Harrington plays), he's going to see a lot of balls; with Crowell out, he may see some additional double teams, but he'd also see a portion of the lost catches.

Since you have to play 3 WR, though, I'd consider Jimmy Smith over the other three. Like I mentioned before, he probably won't start, but he's supposedly in shape from having worked out at Jackson St. over the summer and during his holdout and the Jags play a rebuilding Indy defense this week, a favorable matchup.

If the uncertainty is too much, I'd probably go with Schroeder; he and Smith are the most likely to reach the endzone this week. Schroeder may see more catches and more yards, but Smith (even off the bench) does have the potential for a big game - after all, he is an Pro Bowl WR.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

Manny - don't know if you can still change rosters, but Jimmy Smith is going to start tomorrow for the Jags. They've been very impressed by him in the week or so of camp action he's seen, and the only limiting factor might be Mark Brunell's groin.

I'd definately go ahead and start J. Smith, Coles, and R. Smith for this week - assuming, of course, you can change rosters still.

8. Manny Ramirez

Yea, I went ahead and took a chance and started J Smith along with the other 2 you named.

It would have been nice if Garcia had a better game on Thursday.:mad:

9. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Hey Manny, check out this site . They have the most up to date info that I have found. Hope it helps.