1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[EuroBasket 2013] Asik, Motiejunas, Casspi, Papanikolaou & Llull -- Sep. 4–22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/quVM10Xxqto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

go to 1.20 for an Asik pick and roll with the dunk finish

2. allaroundplayer

I want to correct my mistake.

Rudy Fernandez left the NBA a year ago which I knew. :)

3. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

I hope Israel will turn over a new leaf in this game against Ukraine, last game against Great Britain was horrendous and embarrassing, on the paper Israel is better than GB,Ukraine and Belgium, I guess something happens within the team, it's like they have this mental breakdown, this talented national basketball team didn't succeed much in the preparation games as well.
    It's very disappointing, but I do believe this team can regroup and keep fighting, because this lose to GB is something that should never ever happen again.

4. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IsZwBGadU2g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Papanikolaou in 3 plays, twice getting lit up and a dunk off an assist by someone you might recognize at 1:00.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Israel down 26-35 to the Ukraine at the half. Hard game to watch. Talent level is pretty low.

Casspi so far: 11 minutes 25 seconds, 0 points (0/4 FG 0/2 3P) , 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 TO, 1 foul, -16 (+/-). Played both SF & PF. Not assertive at all.

6. Voice of Aus

How is that box score possible for him after playing 11.25 minutes..

That's crazy

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets lost again.

8. Profondo Rosso

another class act performance for Casspi and the boys. 1/8 from the field and just complete apathy all around.
    where all the israelis who called me hater?
    and trust me. It didn't feel good. I don't enjoy watching the national team getting embarrassed.

9. NotChandlerParsons

So I'm not 100% sure on the format, but won't Israel basically have to win out if they want to advance? And they have to play France tomorrow.

10. Voice of Aus

early training camp for cassipi

11. Profondo Rosso

it's all over for israel.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I say get them in training camp, if they can't cut it in international competition.

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

14. Carl Herrera

Turkey v. Italy just starting.

- Asik scored the first 2 points of the game.
    - Italy has a guy named Marco Cusin. I think it's Italian for Demarcus Cousins.
    - Crowd shot of Turkish fans. Attractive female fans cheering for Hedo and Omer.

15. Voice of Aus

no one chants for Hedo.

but its also good to see Asik in Red again

16. Carl Herrera

Italy's Melli (a 22-year-old 6'9'' big man) is looking good. Bellinelli also looking good. Both teams shooting well from the 3 point line. Fun game.

They are showing live huddle shots with full audio during the quarter break. NBA coaches would never allow this kind of stuff, I think. Turkish coach mad about the team letting Melli score 10 points in the 1st qtr.

17. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

In short, this:

We (Finland) have one legit Euroleague/borderline NBA talent in Koponen. After him there's a big dropoff in offensive talent but we have quality defenders at most positions in Tuukka Kotti, Kimmo Muurinen, Sasu Salin and Shawn Huff. Teemu Rannikko and Hanno Mottola were legit Euroleague quality players but both are way past their prime - in short bursts they can provide quality minutes still.

Coaching and scouting departments are excellent and our "gimmicky" overaggressive defense will continue to cause problems to teams that don't move the ball properly and attack the weak side. In that way, Turkey was a good matchup for us - their big men are forced to pass it out of the post to Hedo and their subpar backcourt.

In offense we can light it up occasionally but we have no way of getting anything easy inside against quality big men. Against bad inside D with predictable offenses like Sweden today, we are pretty tough to beat. I think we will win at least one of Italy and Russia. I except Greece totally dominates us since they have the size of Turkey but move the ball better and have quality guards that will attack our weak spots.

2 people like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Melli is the Italian Patrick Patterson.

19. allaroundplayer

His 2013-2014 salary is guaranteed too.

20. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Greece has brought a total of 3 guards with them for the tournament. Seeing as you'll be playing us on our 5th game in 6 days and the 3rd game of a back-to-back-to-back, expect our perimeter to be completely gassed. Otherwise yes, I don't think any perimeter except for Spain's can take Spanoulis/Zisis/Sloukas and I'd pick those 2 teams to meet in the finals if I had to.

If Mantzaris wasn't injured and Diamantidis hadn't bailed out of the international team after hitting 30 (or 27 really, he's played once since then I think) we'd be scarier, but right now, I'm not sure how it will work out.