1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Euro league min contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

All of the main leagues have minimum salary requirements as far as I know. ACB (Spain), Lega A (Italy), BBL (Germany), BSL (Israel), Pro A (France), BBL (Germany), GBL (Greece), PBL (Russia), TBL (Turkey), UBL (Ukraine) as far as I know they all have rules for a league minimum salary.

I'm not sure about Adriatic League. But for example, one of my friends played in Austria's top division and he said even in that league there was a rule on the minimum salary.

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Keep in mind though that only guys coming from the youth clubs make salaries that low. So that's what a European guy that is say 18-20 and plays just on the practice squad would make.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too many to name. Euro owners kidnap players wives and children to force them to play.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How much would a player coming out of college ball make? same cuz of his age right?

5. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Show me an article or anything written to proove that. I'm from Lithuania and I know people who had played for minimum salary (they were 16-18 at that time and for them it was an opportunity). Talking about Italian league, remember Basket Napoli (I think that was the name)? The club got into financial trouble and all players left the club. The club left with youngsters aged 14-16. They continued playing in Serie A for remaining season with these youngsters (losing near 100 point diference every time). how much do you think these kids received?

6. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Man, tt depends on his skills and country he chooses to play. Might be from as low as 1,000$ per month to as high as 100,000$ per month :)

7. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I said the main leagues. Lithuanian League is a very very small and poor league. I'm talking about the main leagues.

There are minimum salary requirements in all of those leagues I listed. I'm not sure about other leagues.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Are you talking about in good leagues like Spain, Greece, Italy or anywhere, say like playing in Romania or Belarus for example? There could be a huge difference, based on what league you are talking about.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's complete nonsense. I am from Germany, and there is no such thing.

As usual, OHMSS is talking out of his behind.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Im talking about spain and the other big leagues

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are no league minimum salaries, just like there are no maximum salaries. And there is no team salary cap or minimum cap. OHMSS is talking out of his ass.

There is no way he will ever produce proof. If there are league-sanctioned minimums, that should be easy to prove.

Basketball is just like football in Europe wrt salary rules and free agency. That is, there are little to no rules regarding salary, team salary, salary matching in trades, etc.

I can actually show a FIBA document that describes a proposal to have the leagues agree to uniform contracts, including mins and max's. The proposal failed.

#31 heypartner, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Most european teams, if they actually pay their players at all (infrequent at best) tend to either pay in post-post-dated checks, or in metric tonnage of guano and fertilizer, with a drum of olive oil thrown in as an incentive bonus. Belive it or not, this is greater than the per capita annual take home in most southern european countries, where paper money is used to make molotov cocktails to throw at the police when they tell you that you can't retire from the university at age 23 with a full pension.

it's why their ass-backwards system can't compete wtih the National Basketball Association.

13. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Actually, most of leagues have minimum cap (budget) requirements, otherwise is correct. I think OHMSS is taking spanish league's model to other countries. I do think Spain has min salary requirements, I have read about it somewhere but it is more an exception.

14. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Sorry for my english, waned to write "everything other" except of "otherwise".

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Otherwise" was perfectly correct English, but "waned" wasn't.;)

Minimum Team Salaries are different than Minimum Player Salaries...no?

#35 heypartner, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  16. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

The word "otherwise" itself was correct but had no logic in that sentence :)

Well, clubs have certain budget requirements. Most part of the budget consist of player salaries (However, not all). So you were right - there is no such thing as a team salary minimum cap.

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I have several friends that played in Germany and the teams have minimum budgets and there are also minimum salaries.

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

You are wrong.

There are MINIMUM salary rules.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I know for a fact that French League, Greek League, Spanish League, Italian League all have minimum contract rules. Because I played in those leagues myself. I played in those leagues and it is an absolute fact that they all have rules for minimum contract amounts.

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Actually there is. Most of the bigger leagues all have rules about minimum budget cap amount.