1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ethics Alarms] There are Indeed Ethics Issues Raised By Inexplicable Choking In The NBA Play-Offs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, May 14, 2017.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

dude, yuck.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Wow, I guess you can blog about anything these days whether or not it actually has any substance behind it!

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The world needs scientists and the world needs liberal arts majors. The best scientists have an appreciation for philosophy. If you can't appreciate Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, I don't think you can truly call yourself a scientist. Heck, it's those guys that inspired me to get my PhD.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought it was an interesting theory until I read the blog post. One, he's conflating Games 5 and 6 and doesn't seem to even realize it. Two, he did admit to not being a fan of the sport, but doesn't seem to understand how problematic his ignorance is. He has a lot of reasoning based on stereotyping -- oh these players get into gambling trouble all the time, y'know. He says Occam's Razor dictates Harden threw the game(s) because he's up to his eyeballs in gambling debt? No, that's not at all the simplest explanation. Probably the simplest is the concussion theory, followed by the official story that he just happened to suck really badly that night. When someone can bring even a little fragment of circumstantial evidence, maybe we can revisit the gambling angle.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Superman took a nap at a time when he was supposed to be doing the most super things ever.

Now people are wondering if Superman took that nap on purpose because a bad guy promised him candy if he did.

Tfor3, PyroTex, Richie_Rich and 5 others like this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

I can't like this post enough.

Tfor3 and Hank McDowell like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did they ever call for an investigation of Bagwell and Biggio in the playoffs?

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Thx fam, last I saw superman he got sliced open by a dickless cave troll on imax

topfive and malakas like this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

We didn't play the Warriors in this series?...

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think folks are misinterpreting what the guy's arguments are. He is not so much interested in the truth/falsity of the Harden cheating claim (although that is not irrelevant to what his argument actually is).

Three major arguments:
    (1) People are making wild accusations, including publicly reputable folks such as Stephen A., as well as a cast of thousands of lesser conspiracy theorists. He is arguing that these accusations are ethically defensible, because:
    (1a) there is a nonzero probability that cheating (or some other equally wild causal factor) has occurred; to support that probability claim he cites the example of previous gambling scandals. He is NOT saying that this is a gambling scandal, or a cheating scandal. He is simply defending people who are making those accusations, even if the accusers have nothing whatsoever to go on, because of (1a)

His second, more important argument is:
    (2) The NBA has an ethical obligation to respond to those allegations. Nothing more, nothing less. Not pretend that those claims haven't been made or are not continuing to be made. By extension, the Houston Rockets organization SHARES that ethical obligation: i.e., "The NBA has a duty to uphold the integrity . . . of its sport and relieve any doubts an episode like this naturally raises for any objective observer." Nothing more, nothing less.

You will note that his argument number 3 is what virtually EVERYONE on Clutchfans has been arguing since the end of Game 6. So his conclusion is this:

(3) "An investigation is not only a reasonable course, it is a necessary one that both Harden and the Rockets, which has also been mum about why its leader forgot how to play basketball in one of the most important games of his career, should welcome."

Who wants to discuss and/or agree or disagree with that statement?

By the way, my posting this link should not have been interpreted as an ENDORSEMENT of either the author, his blog, or even this particular blog post. I simply thought it was interesting that even a NON-BASKETBALL FAN had quickly heard about the Harden collapse in Game 6, as well as the accusations that something was behind that collapse, just from his casual exposure to the reporting about the game.

That he may not be alone in taking such accusations seriously should concern Rockets fans I think, but of course your mileage may vary.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yes, but he uses big words and is a liberal arts major, so instantly reject his assertions. Trump 2020.

Wait, I used the word "assertion". I'm becoming one of them! Save you-selfs errybody else, the knowledge zombies be coming!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

In Before The Investigation!!!!!!!

13. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

As I recall, they were outclassed by Kevin Brown, Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux. Those outside corners, 92 mph sliders, and curve balls in the dirt were too much to handle.

But they did go down swinging and that's the point, I suppose.

#33 Richie_Rich, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Stupid people saying stupid ****

Now get off the internet and go outside.

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Wanna skype sir?

Haymitch likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not sure how I didn't catch this article in the Washington Post when it first came out. National press coverage of the concussion/gambling conspiracy theory as well as James's strip club exploits . . . double whammy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-he-have-a-concussion/?utm_term=.69c83ae620e7