1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Essentially just got a free 55" Samsung UHD TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I just picked up a 55" Samsung UHD lsmart TV last night. Big jump from our old 40" Vizio 1080p. The best part is we essentially got it for free.

We picked up a Southwest Rewards card a while back for the flight rewards, but we really never flew southwest. We mostly fly to Vegas, and Allegiant is just fine for us for that trip. We put all our bill payments and purchases on the Rewards card, and just pay it all in one payment at the end of the month so we never had to pay interest and we picked up points.

We decided to switch to cap one ventrure and we're going to do the same thing for miles. When I looked into what they offer for points redemption, i found they offered gift cards as well as flight miles. I took about half our points and picked up a whole bunch of Best Buy gift cards, went down to our local store, and picked up our new TV.

My only complaint is Samsung makes it seem like their 120 Motion View is 120 refresh rate. Its not, but oh well....compared to what we had, its night and day AND we have room to grow to the true 120 refresh.

I found I need to update the Roku express stick to a roku 4k(which I'll buy with some gift cards ordered from the rewards points) , but the Amazon Firestick (Kodi) works just fine.

Free stuff kicks ass!!!

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Grats.

Can you now give me your 40" Vizio for free?

kthx

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The Samsung KS8000 series has native 120hz rate. It costs more, but its worth it.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  4. Falcons Talon

Haha...t's going in the guest room.

5. Falcons Talon

I saw that one. I considered it, but it was considerably higher in price. I have room to grow into the 8 series.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Are you sure the CIA wasn't involved and just wants to spy on you?

7. Falcons Talon

I ripped out the speakers and mics as soon as I got it home!

R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

All tv brands have a motion rate, effective rate, trumotion, etc... Theyre all non native refresh rates. Its just their own way of tricking the consumer. You have to look for native refresh rates.

Plus, Dynex only breh... Splurge a little.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True, you'll also be better off waiting for the next upgrade since they're still arguing over HDR formats (2 main ones) and the new ATSC 3.0 standard sounds interesting. In another year or 2 I think things will be a little more finalized for 4k, but then 8k will be coming, haha. I did something similar, not quite free but got an insane deal on 65" 6300 samsung series. I am okay not having 120hz panel because... Unless the TV can accept 120hz signal, and few can (even at 1080p and you need to be using a gaming pc), I can live without it. I don't like soap opera effect, so I turn off anyway, especially since it's adding input lag on gaming consoles (since they only do 60hz anyway). The ONLY other reason 120hz is good is for 24p content...

Anyway, great deal!!

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So I found out there are a few tv panels that can take a true 120hz at 1080p (I want to say a few 4k Sony panels can), but you need a gaming pc and obviously use it for desktop/gaming. I'd been frustrated for years explaining this to people. "but, but, I have 120hz and my Xbox...", "well enjoy the input lag since the TV is adding in the frames" :)

I think only thing nice I could think of was ability of some of these 120hz panels to take a true 24p without pull down conversions.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That's pretty cool. I had a similar experience in that I was able to pay off some IRS debt using Best Buy gift cards as well.

CCity Zero and K LoLo like this.
  12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I used
    Chase Sapphire Reserve = Much better card for bonus points than southwest. 3x points for food and travel.

13. Falcons Talon

Not using Southwest anymore. I'll look at CSR, but Cap One Venture looks pretty good too.

*Edit* CSR limits you on airlines.. Cap One Venture can be used for any airline at any time, plus 2 miles for every dollar spent. Thanks, but COV serves my needs better.

#13 Falcons Talon, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's the model #?