1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's 50 Greatest athletes of the century.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Azim da Dream, Dec 27, 1999.

1. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

grummett,

I completely agree that it takes no raw athletic ability to be a great golfer (although a lot of people would disagree), but as dumb as this may sound, race car drivers and even figure skaters do require it. I wouldn't believe it myself, until a friend convinced me otherwise. While a Andretti doesn't have much "hops" or "hang'time", race car drivers lose a large number of lbs (don't know exact number), and the intense pressure they face at such a unbelievable speed requires them to have overwhelming strength, endurance, and most of all - guts (or a lack of judgement, take your pick)

Another point I thought I might add is that a list like this is so freaking hard to make. Arguements and contraversy are inevitable, given you not only have to compare athletes from an entirely different time and a different position, but a totally different sport as well. Its hard enough to say who's better between Oscar Robertson and Jordan or Gretzky and Orr, but how can you compare an Ali to a Pele? Society as a whole has changed and advanced so much, the nutrients and medicine today's athletes take make them much stronger. The high-tech training facilities result in better conditioned players. Lets not even start with the 'legal' and 'illegal' drugs they take, such as the one Mark McGwire took.

Like Almu said, the top 5 can be any order, this list is just another opportunity to give repect to the century's finest.

Azim da Dream