1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Zach Lowe podcast: Harden is having a historic season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Dec 9, 2017.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They mentioned a interesting stat that says we are not giving up good shots on defense(lots of shots at the rim) but somehow our defense is still great. I personally think we aren't giving up a lot of layups and more contested post ups and floaters. What do you guys think? It starts at the 20:00 minute mark.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=21712627

2. riko

riko Member

So he wont be voting Westi for MVP this season? I think the media w ill finally give Harden credit for being a top 3 player and a future 1st ballot HOF player

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ʎɔɐɹᴉdsuoɔ ɐᴉpǝW

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, there's a website that presents Quality of Shot (QoS) analysis. I think it uses league averages for various looks, including how open you are, number of dribbles, location, etc.

Rockets are last in defensive quality of shot (or were), but are number one on offense. So ppl are speculating that our defense DRtg might take a drop.

However, this stat does not consider anything else that makes an impact on defense:
    • that is, we have come out of nowhere to lead the league in Defensive Rebounding ... which translate to keeping second-chance points down. [Edit] After listening, Lowe brings this up as off-setting QoS stats.
    • Also doesn't figure in possessions that get no look due to a turnover. Don't know how we rank on that
    • Also, anyone know if the stat includes Free Throws, which are the Highest Quality of Shot out there. Maybe it does. But if not, you'd want to look at how many FTs we give up, because that's a sign of a good defense, too.
    • Stats don't discriminate on quality of shooter. So, a good defense will get the ball out of the best shooters' hands
    But, I can't argue with the theory that our opponents have been weak and not taking advantage of their looks. However, our defense is only going to get better from chemistry and fockass of the new guys getting more comfortable. I don't expect a correction to the mean in actual DRtg, like some are speculating with that Quality of Shot data.

#4 heypartner, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Not as historic as Klay’s season.....

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

He didn't vote for Westbrook last season, he voted for Kawhi and Harden second.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

"By any marker, not just as contenders, the Rockets are on pace to be an all time regular season team, which happens to be playing at the same time as another all time regular season team."

Can we get 1st seed?

D-rock likes this.
  8. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

You could really have had the title of the thread for the last 3 seasons...

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really enjoyed this one. Their commentary on our defense was especially interesting.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It was a good episode.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

when I wrote the above post, I hadn't listened yet. Good to hear Lowe mention the Def Rebounding.
    Kevin Arnovitz was gushing over the Rockets.

Anyone else think that Morey only agreed to that podcast interview with Arnovitz in quid pro quo exchange for a gushing review like this? As well as Kevin taking him to that famous LA Deli for a breakfast interview.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the interview may have impacted his commentary here to a degree. He was speaking positively about the switching defense on this one, echoing Morey’s description that it is “switching with a purpose”.

Richie_Rich, D-rock and heypartner like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OT, a respectful request:

I, as a recognized and highly sought-after advanced stat analist on this board, believe we could maximize your data if you numbered your "media conspiracy" posts as in :

media conspiracy, exhibit 199...

Which, by my saber-calculations, this post is, at least judging by the number of results given when I searched "media conspiracy" posts from user Os Trigonum. You're 1 away from a major milepost, OT! What does it all mean??? Os Trigonum making JC Denton obsolete?

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

All this adoration by ESPN and yet the lead in to sportscenter tonight will be Westbrook's near triple double in another road loss to the Grizzlies.

Followed by clips of Kemba Walker schooling Lonzo and then Lavar backstage talking smack to Dwight.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Klay did something that's been done 57 times. I mean, only 57 times in all NBA history!

Harden did something that's never been done, ever. Let's vote Klay's game as the best game of the year!!!!

fuggin idiots that don't deserve threads. Clutch might even prevent these guys that vote like this from being able to start a thread here. They're awful human beings.

OP, good looking out. Fun listen.

D-rock likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

don't matter, klay thompson still betta

blue & yellow, such a fair blanched fellow. beard & black, defense lack!

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seriously? what mile post? I'm scared to try it . . . thinly disguised hack-into-os-trigonum's-computer comment

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

The rarefied air of the 200-media-conspiracy-examples-sighted club of course. Historic af. Sadly though, fwiw, my attempts at hacking into your computer have been abject failures... you should work for the DNC!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Link isn’t working for me.