1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn] You want PER?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is alot of talk about PER in that "other thread".

Of course the example PER that was used was regular season.
    So how about PER in the playoffs? specifically on the HIGHEST STAGE?

you want PER? here it is.

1994 Finals

Houston 4

New York 3

OLAJUWON'S STATS
    Points per game: 26.9
    Boards per game: 9.1
    Blocks per game: 3.9
    PER: 27.1
    [​IMG]
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playo...nist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-5

Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston, 1994

This series didn't strike a chord with casual fans, except when the O.J. Simpson car chase interrupted Game 5. But Olajuwon's performance was unquestionably historic.

The 1993-94 Knicks were one of the best defensive teams of all time; you could argue, in fact, that no team has ever defended better than those Riley-era Knicks. Furthermore, Olajuwon was going up against not only a great D, but also its linchpin in fellow 2008 Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing. Their matchup was one of the few times in recent history that two all-timers went head-to-head in a Finals and guarded each other nearly the entire time.

And Olajuwon absolutely crushed Ewing. The Dream hardly came off the floor, averaging 43.1 minutes per game for the series, and his freakish stat line included 26.9 points, 9.1 boards, 3.9 blocks and 3.6 assists.

Included in those numbers were a game-saving block of a John Starks jumper in Game 6, and an assist on the series-clinching 3-pointer by Vernon Maxwell in Game 7. Given the level of the competition and the defensive nature of the series, Olajuwon produced an amazing effort that transcended his 27.1 PER.

As for Ewing? He shot 36.9 percent with a 15.5 PER, and Olajuwon outscored him in all seven games. If not for such total domination in the battle of Hall of Fame centers, Houston wouldn't have come close to the title.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

thanks for the post. i never tire of reading rocket praises.

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Those were the good old days! It doesn't get any better than that. Hakeem was also a great passer. Sure do miss the Big Fella. :D

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's too bad the younger members here didn't get to watch Dream in his prime. The things he did on the court transcended the stats. The intimidation, the clutch buckets, the freakishly amazing shots he made. Man, I miss watching him play the game.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it wasn't just that series. his playoffs PER for his career is 25.69, which is good for 6th ALL-TIME

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_career_p.html

he's one of handful of players who increase their stats from the reg. to the playoffs.

compared to kobe bryant, whose PER is a measly 21.89 for his career in the playoffs.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

to add, hakeem is the #1 scoring big man in the playoffs PPG: 25.90 :eek:

7. FireBlizzard90

gues whos under hakeem on that PER list?

:D its our favorite current rockets player!!!

8. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Actually thats not surprising at all. T-Mac is always a beast in the play-offs. isnt he also in the top 5 for ppg in the play-offs. If T-Mac played the whole season like he plays in the play-offs he would be in the conversation for MVP.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

there should be no mentioning of that player in the thread about the greatest Rocket that ever played.

Also, this is not a hypothetical thread. It's about concrete accomplishments.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hakeem was a demigod. PER is still a very misleading and irrelevant statistic.

11. landryfans

landryfans Member

so what? you rocket only fans still dump him when he is old. :cool:

12. lawwang

lawwang Member

yes. they did.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Also:

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading that reminds me of the playoff time when Hakeem totally undressed David Robinson in a playoff series, (you still see the clip in the Rockts intro montage) and then Robinson (who I greatly respect) saying "I know this will sound funny, but I thought I played pretty good defense".

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

And just because (I'm bored at work)
    Shutdown of Bird? RESPECT Bobby Joe Reid.

(And kinda Cornbread, himself an ex Rocket)

NOWHERE to be found on the list was Kobe Bryant

16. tinman

Supporting Member

must we educate you little kidees??

Dream wanted out. He even told a Clutchfan at the grocery store.

This is legendary stuff. Cause back then, it was RFFs.

Rockets Fans First!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=12270

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dream was amazing. Like I also said, in the finals, the torch was passed to Shaq. Shaq held his own with dream unlike robinson and ewing. After that, it was Shaq's world. Dream and moses were the epitome of fierce competitors. I think people forget how great moses was. I mean taking a .500 team to the finals and winning his 2nd of 3 mvp's is crazy. The he went to Philly and took over Dr J's team.

18. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

What did LeBron James' PER end up being in this year's playoffs? I believe at one point it was in the 40's.

19. dragonz

dragonz Member

Rank Player PER
    1. Michael Jordan* 28.59
    2. George Mikan* 28.51

by winning Mikan only .08, I seriously doubt they twisted the formula a little bit in fav for MJ, just to keep the name of basketball god flowing.

20. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Houston 4
    Orlando 0
    FINALS STATS
    Points per game: 32.8
    Boards per game: 11.5
    Assists per game: 5.5
    PER: 22.2

Points per game: 26.9
    Boards per game: 9.1
    Blocks per game: 3.9
    PER: 27.1

How was his PER lower in the Magic series, when he had freakish freakish numbers, as opposed to his Knicks series, where he only had freakish numbers?