1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Wells reportedly won't play for Rockets again in '07

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Riz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

No surprise here but new article out by espn and houston chron.

p.s. lock this thread if already posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2832779

Wells reportedly won't play for Rockets again in '07ESPN.com news services

Bonzi Wells averaged 23.2 points in the Sacramento Kings' six-game playoff loss to the San Antonio Spurs last season. It appears that his new team, the Houston Rockets, won't benefit from the veteran's production during their own postseason push.

Wells
    The Houston Chronicle reported on Tuesday night that Wells, who did not show up for the team's game against Seattle on Monday, Wells reportedly won't play for Rockets again in '07

Citing a person with knowledge of the situation, the paper says that Wells will be fined for missing Monday's game but that no other fines are planned and he will not be suspended or released.

Wells was not with the team during their walkthrough on Monday morning and wasn't in the arena before the game, coach Jeff Van Gundy said. Wells left a voice message for Rockets' athletic trainer Keith Jones saying he felt he was disrupting the chemistry of the team, and Van Gundy was unable to get in touch with Wells.

"I have nothing new, really," Van Gundy said on Tuesday, according to the paper. "I don't have any reaction. That's got to be more of an organizational thing."

Wells' agent, Bill Duffy, confirm to the Chronicle that Wells left the road trip and will talk with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson.

"He felt he was hurting the team," Duffy said, according to the Chronicle. "He did not want to be a distraction with his play. It was not his actions. He was frustrated with his play and did not want to hurt the team. His methodology was wrong, but that's what he was trying to do."

Wells played five minutes in Sunday night's 112-106 win over Sacramento, but asked out of the game, Van Gundy said. He played 23 minutes in the Rockets' loss in Portland on Friday, the first time he was activated in 18 games.

The game in Sacramento was Wells' return to the team where he averaged 13.6 points in 52 games last season. He was the Kings' best player in their first-round playoff matchup against San Antonio.

But Wells botched his free agency last summer when he turned down a long-term, $38.5 million offer from the Kings. Every NBA opening soon filled, and Wells had to settle for a comparatively tiny deal in Houston, where he has flopped.

Wells was averaging 7.8 points and 4.3 rebounds, playing in just 28 games. He was inactive for 18 of the Rockets' first 20 games, did not play in three games in December and early January, then was inactive for another seven games with a sore lower back.

Wells played sparingly in late January and February, his best game coming on Feb. 26 when he scored a season-high 27 points and played 37 minutes in a 77-72 loss to lowly Boston. He went back on the inactive list March 2 and missed the next 18 games, the first 10 with a sore right foot.

The Chronicle reported that Van Gundy planned to put Wells in the rotation for the remainder of the regular season.

"I was going to give the whole seven games to see what I thought was the best fit going into the playoffs," he said, according to the paper.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Well...it was coming.

3. YugoRocketsFan

Shoulda traded him for Flip Murray when we had the chance :(

4. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Definately.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I think he still has value and we might end up getting a good trade out of him.
    Detroit might still be interested in him for next season!! lets see what happens. I'm more worried about playoffs we WILL be a third scorer in playoffs to go deep!!!

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

i sure it will make him even more depressed that his fine money will come from 2 million, rather than 38 million.

7. rocket3forlife2

nobody wanted to listen 2 me though

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I guess V-span is going to remain on the roster then for the playoffs?

9. kuwazawa

kuwazawa Member

bonzi's been the biggest disappointment by far this season... not sure if he even tried to fit in at houston....

10. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

The funny thing is that this dude made over 2 million dollars to do nothing! Many people won't make that in their lifetime, actually working hard!

11. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

ok, I feel depressed now. :(

12. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

yeah man.. why you gotta call us out like that? :(

13. bluepart

bluepart Member

I don't care. May he's right, he's the chemistry killer, so just let him go and wish him a good retirement.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... he'll play for the Rockets in 08?

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats a sad fact.

and then he wastes even more money. geez just run some freaking wind sprints for a few years make half a hundred million dollars in your basketball carrear and call it quits and then get fat.

some people are just beyond help

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

There was a whole lot of good will toward Bonzi in Houston not so long ago. I was totally psyched about him. No longer. Bye Bonzi!

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Too bad he didn't leave during the Utah series. Then we could have some Mad Max parallels.

But even that would be a stretch to compare this team with That One.

18. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

Bonzi has been a disappointment, I expected alot more from him and thought he would fight this year to be offered a long term deal like the Queens offered him last year.

He turned out that the offer and turning it down effected him in the wrong way and he turned out to be a bust, if the Rox can somehow trade him in the summer to Detriot and get someone out of it, I'll be happy about that.

But if this story is true and he knows he's a chemistry killer and doesn't want to be involved because he knows he will hurt the chemistry of this team, then I respect him for what he is doing. But I have difficulty believing this after the season Bonzi has had and wouldn't be surprised if all this "hurting the team's chemistry" is BS.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Good riddance...

20. cmellon

cmellon Member

Don't be depressed. Money can't buy you happiness.