1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN / Watkins] Interim Rockets coach J.B. Bickerstaff feels supported by front office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Apr 1, 2016.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Calvin Watkins ✔‎@calvinwatkins
    Rockets guard Jason Terry said getting an interview with UAB for a vacant head coaching... http://es.pn/1ToNreC
    1:12 PM - 1 Apr 2016

Don't blame ya Jet

2. Nook

Nook Member

What a lot of fans do not want to accept is that when you have current players and coaches, and you are stuck with them and they are stuck with you for the time being, there is absolutely nothing positive that comes out of under cutting or being lukewarm in your endorsement of them at this point. Bickerstaff is trying and the assistants are trying and even most of the players are trying. It just isn't working and it will be dealt with after the season.

For as much criticism as Morey gets for being on social media, he has consistently defended his players and coaches in public. That is what you do as a GM. You handle problem internally. If a head coach wants to call out a player, then they can do that.

Also there is no chance Bickerstaff is back as head coach. In fact it is more likely than not that none of the current assistant coaches are back. Bickerstaff seems to have a great work ethic, great attitude and may very well be a good college or NBA head coach some day, but that day isn't today or tomorrow.

The last coach that "got it" with the Rockets was Kelvin Sampson.

3. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

APRIL FOOLS! HAHAHA, or not?

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

With McHale and Kelvin we had a really solid team, and the wheels fell off when Kelvin left. But McHale "got it" with these Rockets last year too. They bought into his coaching, people were happy, chemistry was good - but it was too fragile a thing for a coach as lackadaisical as McHale to sustain.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think this article just developed from them meeting with JB after the game, which i remember someone tweeting. It's only JB's quotes, so my guess is he was asked about the meeting and that led to his quote about feeling supported. Media knows this is hot topic, given the anti-JB stance most fans have developed.

6. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think taking the Warriors to 7 games would be enough for JBB to keep his job. Especially if we're the only team to take them to 7 games in the playoffs.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sounds like they're going to turn the corner.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly McHale deserves credit for last season and with a stronger veteran coaching staff and organization he would probably be fine. However he had young, bright but unprepared assistants when McHale himself was short on coaching experience. The Rockets passed on numerous excellent assistants like Ron Adams for young assistants and "yes men".

9. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not taking the Warriors to 7 games and Bickerstaff isn't going to be the Rockets head coach by September.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Rockets could definitely take GS to 7 games...in a 15 games series.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Or 13. Had to redo my math.

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

JBB is the worst head coach in NBA history

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yet he did better this year with this group than McHale. Surprisingly enough, this is an improved version of the team that started the year with McHale and his pathetic excuse for a training camp/preseason.

14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Omg omg its like that moment again when mchale was reinked for 5 years .... think ...
    I was like wtfs the rockets fo thinking , Daryl Morey philosophy so wrong. Coaching do matters ............

If JBB still the head coach next year, they the rockets will lose me as a fan for 25 years .......

I usually cant get over a rockets loss, but nowadays i doesnt matter because its really getting to a point where its unwatchable ..

End rant

15. houtown

houtown Member

This is a passive aggressive attempt to get at rockets fans who criticize the coaches, they will continue to make the wrong coaches if they hire Tom, because that is the Houston Rockets culture at the moment.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Should have given Finch the interim role instead.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. Boggles my mind that I've seen a few people say that it was a mistake to fire McHale. I've never seen a team come out of training camp less prepared to begin an NBA season, it was pathetic.

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That doesn't mean that firing him at that time was the right move. I think McHale could've done a better job for the rest of the season. He would have deserved the firing by the end of the season regardless.

19. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Corey Brewer speaking on himself

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U guys can see what the coaches r Morey has hired.
    Morey can't be a GM