1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN wants to be MySpace for fans

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article.php?article_id=110272

ESPN Wants to Be MySpace for Fans

Plans to Sell Sponsors Into Team Communities

By Abbey Klaassen

Published: June 29, 2006

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- ESPN is hoping to become the MySpace of the sports world. In September, it will unveil as part of ESPN's Sports Nation property the tools for fans to create profiles, contribute to sports blogs, post opinions and link to favorite articles.

John Zaccario, VP-digital media sales and marketing at ESPN, revealed the plans to advertisers at a pre-NBA Draft party in Chelsea that also featured an appearance by NBA great (and ESPN basketball analyst) Bill Walton. "We want to make the sports fan the center of ESPN's universe," Mr. Zaccari said. ESPN will allow users to personalize their home pages and participate in blogs and discussions around favorite teams and sports.

'Team sponsorships'

ESPN plans to sell "team sponsorships" around the community-driven elements of its website, much like the sponsorships individual professional teams ink with marketers. For example, a particular beer marketer could be the official beer of the New York Yankees on ESPN.

ESPN also unveiled its digital plans for "Monday Night Football," coined "Monday Night Surround." ESPN.com's editor in chief, John Papanek, said the network would cover the game "the way ABC covered the Super Bowl -- with fleets of trucks and armies of crews." "Monday Night Surround" will feature scouting reports, news and games within a game, where fans from the opposing teams register and battle each other for fan supremacy through trivia, IQ contests, debates and betting contest created and hosted by Page Two columnist Bill Simmons.

Network executives also detailed Scream, ESPN's new broadband player, and reported that ESPN 360 managed 40,000 simultaneous streams of World Cup play. ESPN 360 is only available to 8 million subscribers but ESPN launched a free trial of the service June 26.

Long-winded session

Mr. Walton took the stage for what was promised to be a half-hour question-and-answer session, but the long-winded basketball star-turned-analyst didn't get around to answering many queries; he instead regaled digital media buyers with stories of his formative and basketball playing years, critiqued this year's NBA Finals and yet, somehow, managed to work praise for ESPN into nearly every subject he approached.

He likened Ed Erhardt, ESPN's president-customer sales and marketing, to former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach and explained how the Miami Heat came from behind to win an NBA Championship victory: "[It happens] when you have the talent, when you have the best guys -- and that's what we have at ESPN."

"We got our money's worth tonight," Mr. Erhardt quipped as he closed the show and thanked Mr. Walton.

2. Ryan Bowen MVP

Can it be used for dating? I need a chick that digs the Rockets as much as I do :eek:

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Oh great theres gonna be like 1239123 Mark Cuban fakes

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't see this going anywhere. Myspace is successful because it's topic is the person. If the topic is sports then you might as well go with a message board.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

interesting. Its a joke that everybody is trying to cash into the MySpace craze with these wannabe websites. Its like when Classmates.com came out, all of the wannabes are trying to be like them, but everybody still mainly uses Classmates.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You've got to be kidding me. Me and my buddy came up with this idea about a year ago. We actually even started developing the website, but have never gotten around to completing it. Stack24 can vouch for me, I remember telling him about it one day at Live.

BS, I'm suing ESPN! :mad:

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

why does espn always seem to be trying waaaaay too hard?

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm not into MySpace, but I think it's a good idea. I bet it's very successful and won't be surprised if many Rockets fans have pages.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

So let me see if I got this right.

People log on, create a profile, and post about all aspects of their favorite team and other random stuff...

Pffft.

That will NEVER work. :p

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I hate buzzwords....but it's "Web 2.0"

It's all about the community. My guess is this will go over very well. Sports fans are very passionate and like to post/blog about their team.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I can't wait for this to get started so I can start my Pat Hurst fan page.

[​IMG]

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am sure Ozzy Guillen will be the first to join. He likes the WNBA too. :p