1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Top 30 International Players in the NBA Today (Yao #5, Scola #20)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/colu...?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-World-0708

5. Yao Ming, Houston Rockets

Birth Date: 09/12/80
    Born: Shanghai, China
    Position: Center
    NBA experience: 6 years
    2007-08 PER: 22.65

The No. 4 player on this list a year ago, Yao would still rank third if we were going on ability to impact a single game. The problem is that there are too many other games in which he has no impact at all, because he's on the sideline in a cast. Yao has played 57, 48 and 55 games the past three seasons, so despite the fact that his weighted PER is better than Nash's or Ginobili's during that period, it's impossible to rank Yao ahead of those two.

It doesn't help his rep that the Rockets have again succeeded in his absence, much as they did last season. Partly that's a credit to Houston's depth, but it also serves as a reminder that Yao can be as much of a matchup problem on defense as he is on offense.

20. Luis Scola, Houston Rockets
    Birth Date: 04/30/80
    Born: Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Position: Forward
    NBA experience: 4 years
    2007-08 PER: 15.50

Houston's rookie forward is making a belated charge for rookie of the year; his craftiness around the basket was a key in the Rockets' shocking 22-game win streak. While Scola's ROY campaign is likely to fall short, the Argentine import has shown why he has been such a successful international player the past several years. His arrival filled the Rockets' biggest weakness at the 4 spot, one reason they've survived Yao Ming's absence so well.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think there's a couple people on that list (biedrins) that are not as good as scola now, let alone how good he will become. other than that I can't argue too much, and they did say yao would be higher if he wasn't hurt so much.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yao >>>> ginobili. gimme a break. :rolleyes:

and yeah i read his reason why.

4. MD_in_Training

It also bothers me that Yao is behind Ginobili, even in the face of Yao's injuries. If this list suggests, in any way, that GMs around the league would take Ginobili over Yao, then Hollinger may want to get his head checked.

5. ibm

ibm Member

so what about an american allstar vs international allstar game next year?

6. yobod

yobod Member

Weird that Beno Udrich isnt on the list. He's had a heck of a season.

I'd include Mutombo too of course.

7. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Would be fun to watch. The international allstar can field this team which will be very competitive.

Nash
    Ginobili
    Luol Deng
    Duncan
    Yao

With Dirk, Gasol, Tony Parker, Kirilenko, Turkoglu come out from the bench. It would even be better if somehow they can make the outcome matter.

8. MD_in_Training

Would be mighty fun.

International Roster
    C - Yao Ming
    PF - Tim Duncan
    SF - Kirilenko
    SG - Ginobili
    PG - Nash

Bench - Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Luol Deng, Calderon

American Roster
    C - Dwight Howard
    PF - Amare Stoudemire
    SF - Lebron James
    SG - Kobe Bryant
    PG - Chris Paul

Bench - Paul Pierce, Deron Williams, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony

Actually, on second thought, the International squad would get crushed.

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I think I'd rather have Peja at the SF to punish teams teams that double/collapse on Yao. I'd probably grab Parker before I took Calderon too. With guys like Nowitzki coming off the bench? That international squad could beat the US.

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Yeah, the Americans would crush them, even with out KG, TMac, DWade, Shaq.

11. lalala902102001

I think when Yao's healthy, he was at least as good as Duncan this season. He carried this team during Dec-Jan.

Then again, you can't argue with the fact that Yao's missed so many games in the last three years and the Rockets have done well without him.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Where's Carl Freaking Landry?

He was born on Planet Krypton.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I didn't know a lot of them people were internationals. :confused:

14. HoustonFan4Life

I would love to see that instead of East vs West. I think the games would be a lot more competitive.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

he does make some good points about Biedrins, though. He's only 21 (which I was surprised by...I knew he was young, but he's been around now...he may be the youngest player with the most experience in the league). He would have better stats and heard more from on a different team, and yet, he is also effective in the Warriors system. I think it's a toss-up between Biedrins and Scola, and depending on the current state and style of your team, you might choose one over the other.

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Allstar vs International will never happen. Players might get too serious and injuries could happen. It's too much about the Americans vs the World which will piss alot of people off.

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Why is Duncan listed as an International when he plays on Team USA??

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Where have you been? Arkansas? :D

19. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Duncan plays on the Virgin Islands team, because that's where he was born.

Interesting that Wally World was born in Spain, even though he was just an Army Brat.

20. dookiester

dookiester Member

this whole "every gm in the league would take yao over X any day of the week and twice on sundays" stance is fairly narrow-minded and another example of fans tending to overrate their own players.

yao is an incredible basketball player no doubt, but to deny that he can be a liability on defense is foolhardy, as it's happened in 2 playoff series in a row now (guarding josh howard against dallas; guarding carlos boozer or okur against utah). while many GMs might take yao over manu no questions asked, yao's marketing value probably heavily influences that decision.

from a pure basketball perspective, taking the marketing $ and the global significance of yao out of the question, any solid GM will take the best player that helps them the most; not every team needs a yao. yao might be a no-brainer for many teams, but for others, an incredibly efficient and dangerous 2-guard like manu might be a better pick. factor in yao's injuries and its very hard to argue against hollinger's picks. even if having yao guarantees a victory every game he plays in, if he only plays half the season due to injury, some people might rather have a lesser player who plays the full season.