1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN to fire 100 on-air personalities today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 26, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Michael Smith is not leaving ESPN (not for now, at least). He's being pulled off SportsCenter.

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If ESPN had any brains they'd fire all on-air talent and give Taylor Rooks $50 Million a year. She'd have a four-hour show that would run six times a day. Through the roof = location of ratings.

Xerobull, jay_09, Jontro and 4 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Layoffs at SI.

Among the early names...

Andrew Sharp(NBA)
    DeAntae Prince
    Joan Niesen
    Paul Lukas (UniWatch)
    Jon Tayler (MLB)
    Tim Rohan
    Bryce Wood
    Dan Greene
    Kellen Becoats
    Tiffany Oshinsky
    Charlotte Carroll

https://deadspin.com/major-layoffs-are-coming-at-sports-illustrated-today-1838735368

One source within the company says the number being bandied about is 50 percent of full-time staff. The Wall Street Journal, which first reported on the impending layoffs, says “more than 40 positions” will be eliminated, and replaced by contractors working for TheMaven, a startup headed by a pair of extremely questionable bros, which in June brokered a deal to license Sports Illustrated from new owners Authentic Brands Group. TheMaven’s job listings already contain a number of SI positions, including “Expert Writer” and “Sport Editor,” and SI employees have noticed in recent days that multiple TheMaven contributors have started listing Sports Illustrated in their LinkedIn and Twitter profiles.

Though the timing and the depth of the cuts are stunning, layoffs have been expected for a while, and became imminent when longtime editor-in-chief Chris Stone was announced on Tuesday to be leaving the company. We’re told that SI Digital Editor Mark McClusky was let go Wednesday evening.

#223 J.R., Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Good. I used to love si right up until the Rockets won the first championship. What’s that? A soccer guy instead of Dream on the cover? Oh, and you printed a bunch of Knicks commemorative issues, but didn’t bother to do one for the Rockets?

Karma b****es. I hope they fold.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Let it go, bro. All the people that made that decision are probably dead now.

B-Bob, Xerobull and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We’d never say that about Hydra. The culture has been passed down and is, I’m certain, still there. Screw ‘em.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not a bad idea sine the brand SI is where the value is not necessarily the writers on staff. If you can get the same writers but not on your payroll, and push your SI brand that could be a good thing. Hopefully those laid off can still write for SI and other platforms through TheMaven now.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Let's hope they keep their swimsuit edition staff.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

The Astros will be on the last cover.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've been getting SI for like the past 7 years for free, no idea why. Never read, just more junk mail in my box I check once a week.

The Athletic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>SI.

They put 52 issues out a year and sell 1. The swimshoot issue will also now be shot with a Motorola Razor.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’ve been getting it for about 3 years and never ordered it. Got Rolling Stone and Outsider for a couple years before that and now I get a free muscle and fitness. I’ve never read any of them.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeff Van Gundy, Jalen Rose part of ESPN layoffs

ESPN cutting around 20 on-air stars in dramatic round of layoffs

ESPN is laying off some of its biggest stars, including Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose, in a purge that is expected to result in around 20 on-air personalities being let go Friday as the network hopes to save tens of millions of dollars, The Post has learned.

The layoffs involve top NFL, NBA and ESPN Radio personalities, according to sources.

At the beginning of Disney’s three rounds of layoffs, sources told The Post that at ESPN, there would be “no sacred cows” when letting go of personnel.

This has become apparent on Friday.

While the likes of Stephen A. Smith, Scott Van Pelt, Joe Buck and some other big names are not at risk, there are expected to be decades-long on-air “talent” let go.

Last week, The Post reported the network was scrapping its morning radio show that features Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams. Kellerman, who makes in the neighborhood of $5 million a year, and Johnson, who is a year into a five-year, around $18 million deal, are considered in jeopardy, while Williams has a contract that is up at the end of the summer.

“Monday Night Football” pregame analyst Steve Young and host Suzy Kolber are also among those also considered to be in trouble.

On Friday, ESPN will be telling some employees with contracts that they will still be paid, but they will no longer be on-air.

If an on-air person finds him or herself in this position, they will likely be able to work at another network, but will have to hash it out with ESPN’s legal department.

As part of the un-bylined internal network memo published Friday, ESPN, in part, wrote, “In order to identify additional cost savings, ESPN determined it necessary to turn the cost management focus to public-facing commentator salaries, and that process has begun. This exercise will include a small group of job cuts in the short-term and an ongoing focus on managing costs when we negotiate individual contract renewals in the months ahead.

“It’s important for you to know that these are difficult decisions, involving individuals who have had tremendous impact on our company. They are based more on overall efficiency than merit, and we believe they will help us meet our financial targets and ensure future growth. Out of respect to all involved, we don’t plan on releasing a complete list of names.”

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fire Hollins and bring on JVG to do color commentary. Do it NOW.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Best post of the gawdam tellmen era.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Surprised there isn't much interest in this. I wasn't a fan of his coaching but he is awesome as an analyst with his humor

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

They can let go JWill to. Mike Greenburg and his schtik can go to..........ESPN back in the day was awesome, now its the same topics hour after hour spouting the same crap.................glad I dont watch this crap anymore

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Disney sucks hard.

Someone please buy ESPN from Disney and return it to its former glory!

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

...also, forever **** the Jazz.

Manny Ramirez and B-Bob like this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

Keyshawn, Jwill, and Max bore me. I don't tune in to listen to what they have to say. Could care less. They need a Simon Cowell type who can float some truth and whether you like it or not, you care.

Think Geenberg can host, but his takes are useless. Max, like Greenberg, is a good host now too, but I often don't care about his takes.

Jalen Rose has different and interesting takes. Generally liked.

JVG was entertaining. Liked.

McAfee is background for me. But not all that interested in him or his team.

Like Steve Young and Kolber.

#240 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023