1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] The Royce White Situation Revealed...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Oct 4, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8459655/royce-white-absent-houston-rockets-cites-mental-health

I posted this in the comments of the other threads, but thought that it is worthy of its own thread. Lock or merge if you don't feel the same way.

1 person likes this.
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I started this thread to specifically deal with Royce White's demands to take the bus to 'closer' games.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Traveling with the team is an important part of NBA life, particularly for rookies. For someone who likely won't even be in the regular rotation, he sure is high maintenance.

The Rockets are fools if they didn't anticipate this and have a plan for dealing with it.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This seems like an entirely reasonable request to me, to the point that I would wonder if and/or why the Rockets ever actually balked at it.

I don't know anything about the situation obviously, but based on what I've seem/read from Royce, it seems to me that this could have been a calculated move to "raise awareness" of mental illnesses.

If that's true, hopefully his handling of the situation doesn't impact his cohesion with his teammates, etc.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Reasonable request for this unique case. Support White and I wonder what takes so long for the rockets to cooperate. They should have addressed this earlier.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

More than likely they did not balk at the request. NBA travel policies are very strict. This was already discussed in the other main thread, but its important to know that anytime player travel arrangements are changed, it must be approved by the league office.

More than likely they are doing everything they can in house before they have to sent it over to the NBA and things get overcomplicated.

7. arjun

arjun Member

I'm sure this request is much more complicated from the rockets perspective to adhere to than just saying "Ok Royce, take the bus cya tomorrow"

We don't know the full details of all the aspects of life on the road for players. Royce may be missing many film sessions, shoot arounds, etc.

I think the Rockets and him should come to some sort of compromise, which they will, but Royce should have showed up to training camp, settled in, and then begin this conversation face to face.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

What the objective he tried to accomplish with this interview? Sympathy? Awareness? Seeking outside support?

This needs to stay within the Rockets organization. Seems like his deductive reasoning is intact and working. This is a terrible way to start off his career!

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with White wanting or needing certain avenues to deal with his condition during the rigors and "up and downs" of the NBA season, and to ask for help and leeways from the organization, but why is he dealing with it NOW?

Why didn't he address this a month ago, two months ago, etc? Why did he wait to deal with this when it now effects him being in training camp where he will get MUCH needed experience and training going into his rookie season?

The timing is the only thing that seems fishy to me.

10. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

If I was him, first thing I would do is buy a nice RV and hire a driver for the season. With technology these days, we could probably Skype into the film session/meetings from his RV and hit the road earlier than his teammates so he can make in time for shootarounds and games.

11. Arthurprescott2

Look at the schedule and tell me which games he'll be able to make by bus w/o missing a significant number of practices/film sessions/etc.? Logistically it's just not feasible. This is ridiculous after all the assurances that he would be ok taking flights even if he didn't like them.

12. seanp2

seanp2 Member

Why did Rocye/Rockets wait until the start of training camp to address this? I hate that RW is missing valuable practice time for something that could have been worked out months ago.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I just wanna know if he explained this to teams when interviewed bfore the draft. Kinda seems unacceptable to me if he's comin out with the bus thing and everything right before the season starts.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't like how he's handling this.

15. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

If he get a bus he need a Team Rep with him at all times; can't be having all your homies and hoochies and family all in that bus... also it has to be for a limited time to transition into traveling with the team as he gets better with treatment. Also, being in the NBA is a privilege not a right. I can't apply to become a lifeguard and demand they teach me how to swim when I'm afraid to swim and I want floaties and a kiddie pool till I feel comfortable.

16. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

So basically this is a holdout... it's just about a bus rather than salary. If he wasn't able to attend b/c of anxiety I'd be more understanding, but this kind of thing could have been accomplished much sooner.

This sounds like the same arrangement he had in college where he drives to the games he can, so its not like its a new plan. It seems like he waited until the last minute to make these demands so that there would be pressure on the Rockets front office. This explains the attitude that McHale had on the first day.

17. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

One thing that Royce always stresses is that he is trying to set an example for players/people with anxiety issues. But the way he's gone about handling it makes it seem more about himself rather than overcoming his disability. As a result of his actions, he could become a poster-child for why you don't draft people with anxiety.

18. Arthurprescott2

Then he does a media blitz to rouse sympathy for himself. This is a chump move. I'm officially off the RW bandwagon. For god's sake, a BUS??? Dude needs to learn his geography first.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Another Thing.. This guy needs need Doctors and Advisors They are giving him bad advice.. Medical Advice is one thing but Career Advice is another.. this guy has Zero value to any team right now ZERO! He won't even make it out of his rookie contract.. no one not going to sign this Guy he's going to be a Rocket for like or out the league in 1 or 2 years.. book it!

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Let us not portray the rockets like victims here. The rockets have there own self interest at heart as well. Why wasn't the team in constant communication with Royce. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets are being difficult about something.