1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: The 10 Best WRs of All-Time (#1. Rice #2. Moss.....)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by fadeaway, Mar 27, 2008.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...o_mike&id=3309223&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Top 10 WRs of All Time
    Raymond Berry, Boyd Dowler, Mike Holmgren, Ken Houston, Warren Moon, Keyshawn Johnson and Ted Thompson helped ESPN.com evaluate the best wide receivers in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence, to create the following list. (Click here for ZOOM Gallery.)

1. JERRY RICE
    Career: Played for 49ers, Raiders and Seahawks from 1985-2004. Holds NFL records for receptions (1,549), receiving yards (22,895), TD receptions (197), TDs (207).
    Quick quote: "Jerry had a tremendous combination of speed, size, toughness, smarts." -- Holmgren, Rice's offensive coordinator in San Francisco

2. RANDY MOSS
    Career: Set NFL record with 23 TD catches last season with Patriots.
    Quick quote: "Randy Moss catches the ball so well almost without looking at it sometimes. He is scary physically." -- Boyd Dowler, retired scout and former NFL receiver.

3. DON HUTSON
    Career: Played for Packers from 1935-45. Held 18 NFL records when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1963.
    Quick quote: "Lean and swift, and boy, he could catch the heck out of it." -- Hall of Famer Berry, who studied films of Hutson in detail.

4. MICHAEL IRVIN
    Career: Played for Cowboys from 1988-99. Had 750 career receptions for 11,904 yards. Elected to Hall of Fame in 2007.
    Quick quote: "People might not like some of the other things, but when he was on those stripes, he was as competitive as there is." -- Hall of Fame QB Moon

5. PAUL WARFIELD
    Career: Played for Browns, Dolphins from 1964-77. Averaged 20.1 yards per catch. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1983.
    Quick quote: "Warfield was a lot like Charlie Joiner. Every step meant something to those guys. Warfield got into his route and it was like somebody falling off the face of the earth. That's how quick he could be into it." -- Hall of Fame safety Houston

6. CHARLEY TAYLOR
    Career: Played for Redskins 1964-77. All-time leading receiver with 649 catches for 9,110 yards when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1984.
    Quick quote: "Those types of athletes who played more than one position --- Charley Taylor -- are worth the price of admission just to see them line up. That is an athlete right there, a subject in itself." -- Berry

7. STEVE LARGENT
    Career: Played for Seahawks from 1976-89. Had 819 catches, 13,089 yards, 100 TDs. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1995.
    Quick quote: "He was as crafty as anybody I could recall. He wasn't a big guy, but he knew exactly how to lean on people and his hands were unbelievable." -- Packers GM Ted Thompson

8. CRIS CARTER
    Career: Played for Eagles, Vikings, Dolphins from 1987-2002. Had 13,899 yards receiving, 130 TD receptions.
    Quick quote: "I've never been around a guy as competitive as he is. He is so confident. He was a hard worker, which I enjoyed because whatever I got in practice, I knew that's I was going to get in the game." -- Moon

9. TERRELL OWENS
    Career: Has 129 TD receptions in career with 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys.
    Quick quote: "My biggest knock on him is he drops too many balls, but he makes a lot of big plays and he's as good as there is after the catch and he makes difficult catches." -- Moon

10. MARVIN HARRISON
    Career: Has spent entire 12-yard career with Colts. Set NFL record with 143 receptions in 2002.
    Quick quote: "Of all the things that impresses me, it's how he goes about his job, how he goes about his business. He's not a fanfare guy. He's just a football player." -- Holmgren

I am a big Moss fan, but I feel he is a bit overrated on this list. I also think Marvin Harrison is tremendously underrated here. I would honestly put Harrison at #2 instead of Moss due to his consistency. Before he got hurt last season, at the ripe old age of 35 mind you, Marvin Harrison had never really had a bad year. Just consistent excellence all throughout his long career. Moss was more hit or miss. He had some truly spectacular seasons, but he also had a few stinkers. Then there's the whole attitude argument about the immature Moss versus the consummate professional Harrison.

Like I said, I love Moss and am a huge fan of his, but I don't think he should be #2 overall. I also think Harrison should be much, much higher. At the very least, he should definitely be ahead of TO, who shouldn't even be on this list, IMO.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Irvin is too high.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly what i was going to say. #4 all time? No chance.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah just leave Tim Brown off that list. 2nd all time in Receiving Yards, 3rd in Receptions, 100 touchdowns... didn't play with a QB worth a **** until he was in his early 30s. 8 straight 1000 yard seasons.

Idiots.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have Cory Bradford at #8.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

No Lance Alworth (1602 yards in 65). Raymond Berry. Tim Brown. Fred Bilentikoff. Don Maynard. You have to also consider most of these players, pre-85, only played for about 8-11 years...most premier receivers now play an extra 4 to 6 years. And you have to consider the offensive rule changes, alot of these player played at a time when they was no such thing as a no contact rule after 5 yards.

I think Warfield, Taylor, and possibly Irvin should fall abit.

Hutson should be second or possibly first.....considering most of his records were up since the early 40s.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

None of the OILERS' FAB FOUR in there? I am disgusted. Maybe the attack was so dispersed, that EVERYONE got equal catches and wasn't a total SHINING STAR in a group, is that why? :mad:

I am glad Warren Moon got to vote.

I disagree with LARGENT's position. Switch him with IRVIN.
    You will be able to put Andre Johnson in your description of "didn't play with a QB worth a ****" pretty soon or even sooner than most people think. :eek:

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

1. Jerry Rice
    2. Marvin Harrison
    3. Paul Warfield
    4. Steve Largent
    5. Randy Moss
    6. Don Hutson
    7. Chris Carter
    8. Raymond Berry
    9. Fred Bilentikoff
    10. Michael Irving
    11. Terrell Owens
    12. Tim Brown
    13. Charlie Taylor
    14. Charlie Hennigan

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Irvin has been too high on many occasions.

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

So this guy is saying 6 of the greatest WRs of all time all played in the last 15 years? Wow.

and Carter is overrated... he wouldn't be on this list if it wasn't for my boy Warren Moon.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Nice. :D

12. Silfam

Silfam Contributing Member

ART MONK? LYNN SWAN? TIM BROWN? Geez.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Keyshawn was probably a one man crew trying to get himself on the list. Why don't they take a couple mediocre QBs, a mediocre receiver, and a couple coaches and come up with the top 10 QBs of all time?