1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Sportscenter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Can you tell me how many coaches have done both, built a team up from scratch to win a title, and have been able to lead a cast of stars to victory?

It seems like any coach who has won a title, did one, but not the other...

If Phil Jackson really sucks, can you tell me which coaches are better?

Auerbach had more talent in comparison to the league than Phil ever had...

Daly didn't do crap with NJ...

Please don't mention Rudy T... The guy is one of the worst X's and O's coach I have seen...

Rudy is great at communicating to the players, but his tactics are greatly questioned from this corner...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Also, when someone assumes that Rudy T would have 8 rings coaching the likes of MJ, Shaq and Kobe... Let me ask this...

When we got Barkley, Drexler, and Olajuwon, shouldn't we have at least made a Finals appearance, and then lose to the Jackson-coached Bulls?

Or how about when we had Barkley, Pippen, and Olajuwon? Surely, we would have been more than just a 5 seed right?

My point is that yes, Phil had talent, but he knows what do with the talent... Some coaches aren't able to parlay their talent into championships, Phil is one of the few WHO HAS...

To say anyone can win 8 rings is an asinine assumption...

To say Phil Jackson has 8 rings is a fact...

Some people need to get their personal issues with Phil out of the way when they say he is a bad coach... Bad coaches do not win 8 rings, let alone 1 ring...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

3. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

SO don't come here a "supposed fan", knocking Rudy T. when he could have done a PJ and left the Rockets for dead.

Rudy T. is a great coach.

BTW you wouldn't be related to PJ would you

For your information, PJ left because he could not get along with the Jerry's. I'm not a "supposed fan". I love the Rockets just not to excited by Rudy's coaching methods. The Rockets will be here and I will continue to support them. Coaches are replacible.

------------------

4. Franchisedream

Phil Jackson did manage to get players with large egos to buy into the team concept, and not self-destruct. Phil deserves kudos for that.

Rudy did the same thing though during the 94, and 95 championship teams. Rudy got role players to accept their roles, while getting the super stars to play within the team concept.

But Rudy did something else that Phil hasn't done. He started over and has begun building a new team, with a whole new system of play. Phil just brings Tex Winters and the triangle everywhere he goes.

Kidrock8, you asked about why Rudy didnt' make the finals with injury ridden, allstars past their primes, and then compared that to Phil Jackson coaching teams with all stars in their primes.

I think the bottom line is Rudy will never get the respect that Riley, and Jackson do, becuase those guys crave the spotlight. That isn't and never will be a priority for Rudy. The thing is about Rudy is that I don't think he really cares all that much whether he gets the accolades from the media, he just seems to be genuinely interested in doing the best he can.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Franchisedream (edited June 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Franchisedream (edited June 20, 2001).]

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Well, I think if you ask the players they will all say the same thing. Phil Jackson is the greatest coach on that list. I mean, I don't even see how this can be an argument. The guy lead the Bulls to six world championships. The Lakers got 2. Arguing about Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq is pointless. The guy did what coaches are expected to do. He won. Not once. But eight times people. Nobody else is even close. And what is the hardest thing to do in the NBA? Yeah, you know, close out a series. So he's a closer. Wow. That's such a terrible thing. I mean what do you want him to do, not close. His job is to close the deal.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Red Holtzman, Larry Costello, Jack Ramsay

Based on wins- Lenny Wilkens, Pat Riley

------------------
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.-
    Albert Einstein

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Yeah , well it takes a little time to become great. Ask Franchise that in about 3-4 yrs....

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

If we would have had Barkley of 93, Olajuwon of 93/94/95 and Drexler of the Early 90's then we do go for 8 rings in a row. Its all about getting players in their PRIME.

franchisedream hit the head on the nail;

"Kidrock8, you asked about why Rudy didnt' make the finals with injury ridden, allstars past their primes, and then compared that to Phil Jackson coaching teams with all stars in their primes. "

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited June 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited June 20, 2001).]

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Who exactly does get along with the Jerry's??

He didn't get along with them because they were ignorant A-holes who thought THEY were the reason for being good... Nice to see them doing a great job with the Bulls now...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Where were the Bulls before MJ? Losing in the 2nd round in the playoffs...

Where were the Lakers before Phil? Having chemistry problems for 3 seasons in a row, and getting swept out of the playoffs when the team would just roll over...

One thing that is for sure is that those Bulls and Lakers teams NEVER EVER had games where they just completely did not show up... I'm talking about 20+ point ass whippings...

Phil is able to motivate his players and to keep them focused...

I will admit that Phil isn't an X's and O's coach... But, he is the best at handling the various situations that occur during the course of a season...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale