1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Source: Dunleavy frontrunner for Hawks job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UTweezer, Jun 4, 2003.

1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Dunno if this has been posted, but it reports that JVG is basically the coach. Dunno if it's accurate.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0604/1563067.html

It's only a matter of time before Jeff Van Gundy is installed as the next coach of the Houston Rockets.

Van Gundy, who earlier this week emerged as the favorite to replace Rudy Tomjanovich, will travel to Houston on Thursday or Friday to look at houses and schools in the area, ESPN's Jim Gray reports.

A source told Gray that Van Gundy and the team have not reached a financial agreement yet, but "they've made their choice" and it's Van Gundy. The Rockets wouldn't bring him to Houston unless they were confident they could reach a contract agreement, the source told Gray.

Houston radio stations have been reporting that the Rockets are concentrating on Mike Dunleavy, but the source told Gray that Dunleavy is a frontrunner to get the coaching job in Atlanta.

Asked Tuesday if he hopes to close a deal with Van Gundy during his visit, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said: "I'd like to get a new coach. Let's see how everything goes."

Dawson, in Chicago for the NBA predraft camp, told the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday that he has not interviewed Van Gundy and no negotiations are under way.

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander is not in Houston, and no meetings between him and Van Gundy have been scheduled yet, Dawson said.

Van Gundy, the former coach of the New York Knicks, and Dunleavy are the Rockets' two finalists. The Rockets also had met with Paul Silas and Larry Brown.

On Monday, Silas was introduced as Cleveland Cavaliers coach and Brown was named coach of the Detroit Pistons.

2. mingonly

mingonly Member

i guess that other thread about that "party" that took place this weekend about francis saying its dunleavy was in fact a BS rumor. that guy lied and should be raked over the coals for saying crap.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

it took you more than 1 minute to realize he was lying???

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

My big question is this: why did ESPN hire Jim Gray, and when did that happen? Maybe I'm just out of the loop or something...

JVG is either the absolute right or absolute wrong choice...not sure which...but we'll find out pretty quickly, I think.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I doubt he was lying. If anyone should be blamed, it should be for thinking Francis has even a clue as to what's going on behind his back. Half the time, he's not even aware of what's right in front of him. Even if it's seven foot, six.

6. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Dang, I was hoping Dunleavy was going to the Rockets Head Coach. I'm not a very big fan of Jeff Van Gundy, what has he done that ws so special? Anyway he quit on his team in the middle of the season.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Because NBC doesn't carry the NBA anymore.

8. munco

munco Member

What has Dunleavy done that's so special. Or what has Dunleavy done that Van Gundy hasn't, Dunleavy's been in the league as a head coach much longer than Van Gundy. Oh, how could I forget he had four losing seasons in a row with the pretty good Bucks team. Van Gundy took the a very limited team in the Knicks to the Finals. Dunleavy couldn't take the most talented team in the NBA to the finals.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2059596/

9. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

lol this is sad. The rate these coaches are being routed to other teams, we aren't going to have anyone worthy to pick from when its all said and done. Stupid Les.

10. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think we'll make an offer to JVG before the week is up and have a news conf on Friday or at the latest Monday.

11. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

Pole, that was one of the sickest blasts on Francis I've heard in a while. NICE!!

12. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I was a big Dunleavy supporter, but lately with all the articles circulating, I've come to the realization that Van Gundy is the man for the job.

We need a guy who won't sit back and let his team destroy themselves, much like Rudy did last season. Most of it has to do with the fact that he is a player's coach, and he allowed for his team to be treated like kids rather than professional athletes. Dunleavy I fear would allow the same thing.

Van Gundy brought one of the least talented teams to the NBA finals literally because of his coaching and preparations before games. With Yao and Steve, it should be a much easier task at making this team a contender than with the talentless Knicks.

In the end, if Gundy does bring us into the playoffs and decides to stay for the next 5-6 years, then I think we made the right decision rather than go with the hot commodity in Larry Brown; a coach who will run away when things get tough.

13. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i wasnt really in for van gundy but with the peeps comments about him here either its positive and negative, i would like to see JVG on our bench instead of MD. he will make our players ATHLETES and not KIDS. here's to the road to the playoffs, and hopefully, a championship!

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Thank you. Usually, I'm a fairly dour person, but I even made myself crack a smile with that one.

15. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

bring in van gundy and find me an assistant that is great with the x's and o's

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yeah, I know....but why did they hire Jim Gray? heh.

He's just not that good of a commentator.

17. SLA

SLA Member

Anyways. Congrats to Dunleavy and good luck to him!

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

They're kind of implying that the Rockets can't get Dunleavy because he's a frontrunner for the Atlanta job.