1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN--Source: Clips make Chris Paul offer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

By Ramona Shelburne
    ESPNLosAngeles.com

The Los Angeles Clippers have been aggressive in their pursuit of New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul, but their initial offer to Hornets general manager Dell Demps did not include either shooting guard Eric Gordon or restricted free agent center DeAndre Jordan, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

The Clippers, Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics have been the most aggressive teams pursuing Paul, but so far the Clippers have been the least desperate to land him because they believe they are set up to win in the short and long term if they can re-sign Jordan, extend Gordon this year and Blake Griffin next year and upgrade at the small forward position either through free agency or with Minnesota's unprotected first round pick in 2012.

The Clippers are reluctant to part with either Gordon or Jordan in any trade for Paul, the source said, because Paul hasn't given any assurances he will re-sign with them following the 2011-12 season and owner Donald Sterling is still deeply stung from the way forward Elton Brand burned the Clippers in 2008 by signing with the Philadelphia 76ers.

The franchise has just begun to dig itself out of the crater Brand's unexpected defection left behind. Point guard Baron Davis, whom Brand recruited to join him in L.A., was shipped off to Cleveland last February at great cost, the Clippers 2011 first-round pick that ended up as the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Without assurances that Paul will commit to the franchise long term, the Clippers are reluctant to break up their core group of young players or future draft picks they feel are essential to convincing Griffin to sign an extension with them next summer.

Paul has let it be known that signing free-agent center Tyson Chandler would increase his chances of re-signing with any team that trades for him, the source said, but at this point the Clippers have no intention of pursuing Chandler because is expected to command a deal around $12 million a season, significantly more than Jordan, whom they are optimistic they can re-sign for a five-year deal between $7-9 million per year.

The Clippers initial offer to New Orleans did include future draft picks, the source said. They also indicated they would be willing to absorb the contracts of players like small forward Trevor Ariza.

While Gordon and Jordan are obviously the Clippers most desirable trade assets, the team also has former first-round picks Eric Bledsoe and Al-Farouq Aminu, the expiring contract of center Chris Kaman and Minnesota's unprotected first-round pick in 2012.

Paul has been the Clippers primary trade target. While the team also has interest in Orlando's Dwight Howard, it has yet to engage any substantive discussions with the Magic, the source said. Still, at this point Paul is the Clippers primary target because his game would mesh better with Griffin and Gordon than Howard.

Ramona Shelburne is a reporter and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Follow Ramona Shelburne on Twitter: @ramonashelburne

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...dan-not-los-angeles-clippers-chris-paul-offer

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i think Chris Paul goes to Golden State, and the Clippers resign DJ and sign FA SF Caron Butler....

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've crunched the numbers and it turns out that a little over 75% of the time, ESPN's "source" is Adrian Wojnarowski.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To be honest a Paul - Griffin pairing would make the most sense.
    The only thing stopping them is the crappy marketability of the Clippers franchise.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way the Hornets make a trade without getting Gordon and/or Jordan in return. If CP3 is interested, he should agree to re-sign with the Clips and they should willingly give up both Gordon and Jordan if necessary. Pairing CP3 with a big man like Blake Griffin automatically vaults them into a top 4 seed.

With his salary demands, I don't see how Chandler can fit into this. He's after money more than a championship (which isn't surprising since he just won a championship).

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Marketability won't be the problem: Coach Vinny will be.

7. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

He's the best. Flat. Out.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Clipper things IMO is much harder to work out than GS. Because Jordan's value varies depending on his contract. If a team comes in and offers him more than what NO is willing to pay, then the deal may fall apart.

Also, it's ironic that CP3 would want Chandler given that Chandler was in NO before. Funny how a player can do the same thing in his entire career(defenisve stalwart and nothing more) but be much more sought after following a championship.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like gordon and all, but paul is a game changer period. The clipps have the young talent and the assets to be power players if the choose. Just a thought here.

Paul and Ariza to clipps for kaman,gordon,and t-wolves unprotected pick. They could sign hamilton after he gets cut, resign deandre. Sign tayshuan. That would be a very good team right now.

10. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

You don't think players care who their coach is....CP3 isnt going to put his career in the hands of Vinny. Bulls can Vinny and a year later they are playing in conference finals. These guys talk to each other, they are informed. they know who they want coaching them and playing along side with.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Paul is a game changer but that twolves pick can be very valuable. That trade could end up being Gordon and Barnes/Davis/Jones etc for Paul and honestly if I'm the clippers I don't know if I'd do that. The Hornets could make a quick turnaround if they accept a Bledsoe/Aminu/Twolves trade. They would be bad this year but could end up with two top 10 picks in a very good draft.

On the clippers side if you don't get Paul and hold onto your pick you still have a solid starting four with Williams/Gordon/Griffin/Jordan with the possibility of adding another young talent with that Twolves pick plus enough cap space to get Howard or Paul.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Absort Ariza's contract? LOL - that guy has fallen off the radar....fast.

DD

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Of course I'm biased, but I actually don't think the Wolves will be that terrible this year. It's unlikely that they make the playoffs, but I do believe we'll be around a 10-13 pick as opposed to 3.

14. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

The problem is that teams are trading for Paul with no commitment that he'll stay long term and there is a strong chance that he bolts to the Knicks in the off-season. Kaman, Aminu, Bledsoe, and the Minny pick is all i would offer for a 66 game rental of Chris Paul...

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Trust me, the Wolves will make the playoffs. If Adelman can squeeze 45-47 wins out of the Rockets, he can do the same with the Wolves.

The problem with the Wolves was they never had a decent coach, they had the talent. Now you add arguably top 5 coach in the NBA leading a team with a superstar in Love and some potential all-stars in Williams and Rubio with some decent supporting cast.

Don't be surprised if they overtake the Rockets.

16. jjc1

jjc1 Member

So according to the article if we signed Chandler then Paul is willing to sign an extension with us?

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Trust me, when CP3 is lobbing to Jordan and Griffin all day, he will be saying, Melo and Amare who??

Griffin is better than Amare and Melo.

I don't understand why more people don't wanna join him.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

The Wolves are my second team, and my response to that is uh, no. I'll be shocked if we do make the playoffs. Love is great, but I'm skeptical of Rubio and really annoyed with Beasley. Williams and Adelman will make us better, but I don't think we'll make the playoffs quite yet. Probably 27-32 wins in this 66 game season, and we'll give the Clippers around the 12th pick. Overall, am convinced that trade chip is severely overrated.

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

C'mon man, If Rubio shows his full potential, you can't tell me with a straight face that roster is worse than the one Adelman coached last year.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I can think of several reasons:

Vinny Del Negro isn't exactly a great coach? Donald Sterling is a jackass? Clippers are sharing a market with the Lakers?