1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sixers Getting in Position to Offer Brand Massive Contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rua2006, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rua2006

rua2006 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3477424

2. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Man, this is insane. So much money being throwed at someone who only played EIGHT games last season. What a weak free agent market.

A Sixers team + Brand does look pretty good though...

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It will be really interesting to see what happens to the Clips if they lose Brand. I'm not sure Maggette returns either way, and Baron Davis plus Kaman isn't going to put much fear into anybody.

Sixers would be pretty impressive with Brand. It would be a much better fit than with Golden State, and easier on him personally to be in the East.

Evan

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is true insanity: Either the Warriors or Sixers offering Ft. Knox to Josh Smith and the Hawks decide not to match. Breaking the bank for a player like Brand makes complete sense for the Sixers. This would be a great coup for them. But if they lose out and then buy Josh Smith away from Atlanta, they will regret it.

After Brand makes up his mind, the dominoes will fall.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That would certainly shift a bit of power over to the Eastern Conference and leave the Clippers pretty much screwed.

6. rua2006

rua2006 Member

I wonder if that adds another "powerhouse" to the East. It probably puts them somewhere around the Raptors and Wizards in wins. Anyways, you can never really judge until the chemistry speaks for itself, but I'd say put them in the running to win a playoff series, maybe even get to the conference finals if things go REALLY REALLY well and all their talent is maximized.

7. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Please go to the east. So we can have less playoff contending teams in the west (GS and LAC).

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

He's not leaving the Clips. But he would be a perfect fit in Philadelphia, where those guys come to play every night.

Miller
    Iguodala
    Thaddeus Young
    Brand
    Dalembert

Very scrappy team with two guys contesting shots at the basket. Lock for EC playoffs.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why cant the 76ers throw their full MLE at Maggette to boot? If healthy they could take out the Celtics.

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

They are under the cap. They have no MLE.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When they sign Brand and cap out they don't acquire one?

12. Tuan

Tuan Member

I am not sure why all these are offering such massive contracts to guys like Brand? Sure he is a great player, but he isnt one that will carry you to a championship. Some of these GMs just baffle me.

13. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I am almost 100% sure that you get to use the MLE only if you're over the cap going into the off-season, so I would say no.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

interesting i wonder if there is a way to get Carney from the sixers i think he would be good off the bench as a 2/3

15. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I agree.. from what I've seen, this guy is pretty gifted offensively and can fly. His defense and rebounding could use some work though...

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Coming from somebody that's completely enamored with Josh Smith, the Sixers would be wise to pursue Brand first. Smith is still figuring out the game while Brand makes you an immediate threat out East.

As for Carney, I would absolutely take him. He's young, athletic, 6'6" and capable of playing both wing positions. Mind you, our backup "wings" last year after the Bonzi/B-Jax deal were B-Jax/Head/Novak/Landry/etc. and that thought never escapes my mind.

17. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Brand should just go to Miami so that we don't have another contender out west in the clippers.

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How do exceptions count against the cap?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So it is not true that being under the cap necessarily means a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $49.5 million, and a team has $43 million committed to salaries. They also have a Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a Traded Player exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $53.5 million, or $4 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and must instead use their exceptions.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $43 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).

Starting January 10 of each season, the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual, Larry Bird, Early-Bird and Non-Bird exceptions begin to reduce in value. For example, if there are 180 days in the season, then these exceptions (if they are still unused) reduce by 1/180 of their initial value each day starting January 10. If a team uses their $5 million Mid-Level exception on February 1, then the exception is actually worth $4,361,111.

The Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions may be lost entirely, or the team may never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If the team salary is below this level when the exception arises, then the team doesn't get the exception. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any exceptions they had are lost.

For example, with a $49.5 million salary cap, assume it's the offseason, and a team has $41 million committed to salaries, along with a Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a Traded Player exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $50.5 million, or $1 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary drops to $48.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions.

There is logic behind this. The whole idea behind an "exception" is that it is an exception to the rule which says a team has to be below the salary cap. In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. If a team isn't over the cap, then the concept of an exception is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away. The effect is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but they can't have both.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I was interested in Carney when he was getting drafted but now he doesn't seem so great. The best way i can think of his game is Kirk Snyder was a better shooter but also a worse defender and rebounder. I think they have about the same net effect.

Now if we could trade for Thadeus Young that would be something. I think he could evolve into a pseudo Josh Smith. Wish makes me wonder why they would go after Josh Smith so hard.

20. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

It would be very good for the Rockets if this happens, IMO. Without Davis or Brand, I think the Warriors become a vastly inferior team (obviously) while with just adding Davis, and losing Brand, the Clippers are no better off than they would've been without Davis. If this goes down, neither the Clippers nor Warriors would be true playoff contenders.