1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN-Sina] Yao on China's roster, waiting on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Aug 10, 2006.

1. The Hungarian Rocket

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2545434

BEIJING -- Yao Ming plans to play for China's national team at the Stankovic Cup ahead of the world championships, news portal Sina.com reported on Thursday.

The 7-foot-5 NBA All-Star broke his left foot playing for the Houston Rockets in April, an injury that has clouded China's preparations for basketball's international showpiece, which starts Aug. 19 in Japan.

Yao has been named in the national team for the six-nation Stankovic Cup in China's eastern Jiangsu province, but said he was not certain to play in the team's opening game against Germany on Friday.

"I still can't say whether I'll play. I hope to play. I'll definitely play some basketball [at the tournament]. There's only three games left before the world championships," the report quoted Yao as saying.

The final decision rested with the Houston Rockets team doctor, who had been sent X-ray images of Yao's foot, the report said.

Yao said he would be eased back into playing.

"I definitely won't be on for my usual playing time, I'll be taking it easy. At first, I'll play probably 20 minutes and see how it goes," he said.

China has struggled without Yao in recent world championship warm-up games, which included a 46-point thrashing by the United States in the southern city of Guangzhou on Monday.

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

ROFL, ESPN relies on a source from Sina.com, the Chinese National Enquirer. :D

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well i do like the fact that the decision rested with the Rockets doctors rather than the cba doctors. obviously i am not trying to say the cba would try to play him if he truly was hurt but a lot of times their moves recent seem more short sighted than personally i think they should be. they would have more reason to rush yao back than the rockets would. but the injury to his foot wasnt serious and he seems to have put it al behind him now.

4. compucomp

compucomp Member

5. rocketsmetalspd

What time states side will the game be on? Will it be on CCTV?

6. compucomp

compucomp Member

I don't think it will be on American TV, but it will be shown live on CCTV-5.

http://www.cctv.com/tvguide/11/01/20060811/5.shtml

19:55 Beijing Standard time = 7:55 EDT = 6:55 CDT = 4:55 PDT.

7. jack722

jack722 New Member