1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Ryan Anderson's hot streak from Chris Paul passes continues with win in Utah

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

SALT LAKE CITY -- The instant chemistry between Chris Paul and Ryan Anderson isn't exactly rocket science.

"'Cause he can shoot and I can pass," Paul said after the Houston Rockets extended their winning streak to eight games with a 112-101 victory Thursday over the Utah Jazz. "It's that easy."

The pick-and-pop pair, serving as complements to MVP candidate James Harden, has certainly made it look easy since Paul's return from a knee injury that sidelined the nine-time All-Star point guard for a month.

With the exception of his early exit due to back tightness in Sunday's rout of the Los Angeles Lakers, Anderson has been red hot since Paul rejoined the Rockets' starting lineup, shooting 57.6 percent from the floor and 56.3 percent from 3-point range in that span. The timing is no coincidence.

Paul has assisted on 25 of Anderson's 38 buckets during the winning streak, per NBA.com statistics. According to Second Spectrum data, Anderson has knocked down 21 of 27 3-point attempts off passes from Paul while the Rockets have rolled to eight straight double-digit victories.

Yes, you read that right. That's 77.8 percent long-range shooting by Anderson when fed by Paul.

Anderson scored 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting against the Jazz, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range. Paul assisted on six of Anderson's buckets, including all five 3s, with Anderson's lone long-range miss coming on a dish from Harden.

"That's why I'm here -- to shoot the ball around guys that are great playmakers," Anderson said. "Having him here has just opened up the court so much more for me and all of our shooting ability. For me, it's just easier looks.

"He hits me from the instant I'm open, which just helps me as a shooter. Those are the moments where I know that I'm going to get the ball from him, and when I get it, it's pretty much directly at the numbers. Obviously, he's Chris Paul. He's a great playmaker who helps me a lot."

It's a case of two players whose games fit together perfectly in theory, meshing immediately. Paul and Anderson have played a total of only nine regular-season games together, but they already know what each other are thinking just by making quick eye contact, two of the league's elite pick-and-pop players instantly and instinctively clicking.

It comes as no surprise that Paul, who put up 18 points, nine rebounds and 13 assists in the victory, is thriving as a playmaker while surrounded by so many scorers with the Rockets. His 10.1 assists per game would lead the league if Paul had played enough games to be a qualifier. His ratio of 5.7 assists to turnovers is simply ridiculous.

Anderson has enhanced Paul's game even on possessions when he isn't the recipient of a pinpoint pass. Paul has always wanted to play with a stretch 4, lobbying to get Anderson on his team in several years, because he recognized how a big shooter changes the game's geometry.

"Even if he doesn't make it, everybody's got League Pass. You know what I mean?" Paul said. "He's been in the league long enough to know what he's capable of, so his value to our team is, even when he's not getting those shots, they've still got to guard him out there. When Ryan's standing at the 3-point line, you're not offering help because you know he's got a quick trigger."

With Anderson, "out there" isn't on the 3-point line. It's often several feet behind it, providing extra space for the Rockets' creators to work. He's launched 14 of the 21 3s he's hit off of Paul passes during the winning streak from between 25 and 30 feet from the hoop.

"He's shooting by half court and doesn't miss anything," coach Mike D'Antoni said.

As if dealing with Harden and Paul isn't tough enough.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21707827/nba-ryan-anderson-fire-chris-paul

s3ts, Patience, Caesar and 8 others like this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Just imagine. Eric Gordon will find his shot at some point too.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Dude is starting to worry me and I've always had full faith in his form and shooting ability. I guess a slump now where we're dominating is better than slump when we really need him to hit.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We spent all summer fretting over Melo even after we got Paul. All for nothing.

Anderson didn't mope and came into the season in the best shape of his career. Impressive on both ends of the court.

s3ts, RocketWalta, Tfor3 and 23 others like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Did you guys hear that Ryan Anderson is shooting extremely well when receiving passes from Chris Paul?

xtruroyaltyx, roslolian and DudeWah like this.
  6. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

He carried us as a "second star" when we actually needed him. People got the misimpression that he was better than he actually is. He's regressing to the mean now.

Sanity2disChaos, s3ts and BigggReddd like this.
  7. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

He probably needs some rest, he always gives me feeling he is in pain or something.

8. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

Ryan Anderson is looking like a $20 million player under Chris Pauls guidance.. But lets not forget Ariza has been spectacular as well.. I think Ryan is more motivated to hustle and rebound now that he is getting more touches, you can see he is super motivated..

Rocket River, roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

CAN WE GET THIS BROTHA A HOODIE?

/SAS if Ryan was black

Houstunna and hakeem94 like this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Every shooter goes through a slump. Harden has had them. Ryno has had them(well, pre-CP3 anyway). Lord knows Ariza has had them. Gordon is just going through one at the moment.

Dankstronaut, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson = Worth every damn penny this season.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not talking about his star ability though, just shooting. He shot 37% from downtown last year, which was actually his lowest percentage from deep in four seasons. I'd be perfectly happy with that. He's having the worst shooting year of his career by far, unless you count the 11-12 season where he only played 9 games due to injury and only took 40 shots. His shots aren't even in and out anymore.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The way y'all gush over him, it's like he's making 4-pointers out there.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With a .652 TS%, he basically is making 4-pointers out there.

15. mockster

mockster Member

but will he be still getting passes from Chris Paul when he’s traded at deadline?. Find out next time on Morey Ball Z

calurker likes this.
  16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Anderson's 77.8% 3-pointers when fed by Paul are more like a regular 6-pointers.;)

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just imagine if he was playing with steph and klay. ryno would be averaging 27 points a game at least

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is!

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

his shot is getting flatter, imo it's due to having to drive so much, that sucks a lot of energy out of your legs and affect your shooting

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cp3 is mvp he transformed our team