1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/ Russillo] "I can't stand the Rockets", "I will root against them"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 4, 2019.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Pm
    I know. But all of these talking heads are claiming Harden and the Rockets are " what's wrong with the league" claiming to be old school. I call BS. The NBA rule changes to soften up the sport breeds this style of play. If you really want old school basketball bring stop handcuffing the defense. Let's hand check on the ball and impede the cutters. Ya know, go "old school"!

Lurch likes this.
  2. BigBum

BigBum Member

I like 3 pointers, but I don't like too many free throw attempts, 25 or more.

Shoot to win, not free throws to win.

3. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Yea I agree. I do prefer old school ball but I also don’t blame Houston and players now for doing what they’re doing. They are adapting to win now and doing what it takes. If it becomes a big enough issue the league will fix it.

I’m actually in the camp of thinking coaches like Pop, as great as he is, are making a mistake. If you aren’t adapting to today’s style of play, you’re going to fall behind and become irrelevant. It’s that simple. You can hate it, but it’s whats happening regardless.

But I also understand when people like Russillo say they can’t stand it. I don’t blame him. There are more exciting forms of basketball than dribbling the clock down and looking for a foul.

4. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Considering all the negative feedback on this board from Rockets fans about the offense it’s no surprise some in the media don’t like it. Why is such s surprise? He’ll, even I think the offense is stupid at times, especially watching a guard oriented team launch 3 after 3, while passing up easy 2’s and layups. I mean, when s guy has a clear path for a layup on a fast break but stops at the 3 point line to jack up a 3, it drives me crazy.

I also think the system is flawed and isn’t good enough to win it all. As evidenced by the way teams are now defending us at the 3 point line, they’re basically playing the percentages that we’ll shoot around 35% and take over 50% of the shots from beyond the arc. Personally I find the offense boring. I like a more balanced offense with an inside presence and mid range game, but that’s just me.

Cuongzilla, bmelo and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

And for that reason the best and only way opposing teams to stop him is by fouling him

Fouls are f*in fouls

Delusional LOF

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

See u none believer from me seat tonite at Toyota....real fan. Ima do my part

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I became a Rocket's fan when they moved from San Diego. However, I don't like the way this team plays either. They are chuckers. I hate pounding the cover off the ball. Isolation basketball is actually stupid. Every time you pass the ball the defense has to reset. When you dribble the cover off, the defense can rest. That is ugly basketball, especially when you shoot a low percentage.

LosPollosHermanos and Cuongzilla like this.
  8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

No offense, but:
    [​IMG]

417Rocket likes this.
  9. 417Rocket

417Rocket Member

Yup that is him.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Cute, when you don't have an argument or rebuttal, why not!

kh0001 likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is a good point but i don't agree completely.

The Rockets do game the system, not cheat, but game. Harden doesn't actually want to be fouled. He wants to create the environment where you can only foul him or allow him an uncontested shot attempt. It's why people hate to watch him play. He's either making what looks like uncontested layups, 3s, going to the foul line, or getting fouled and not called. He creates the contact, the nba has long accepted this but he's the only one to ever do it on every single play.

But, teams have long gamed the rules as well and it's welcomed when it leads to flashy plays. What's funny is the Warriors moving screens, old school Pistons hand checking, and many other similar game plans that lead to championships were outright cheating. It was against the rules. What the rockets do is within the rules, it's just not what people want to see. So, the nba calls it straight up in the regular season and swallow their whistles in the playoffs. This has happened every year. I can even live with the jumpshot non-calls if they didn't let him get mugged in the paint. It's so obvious the refs have specific Harden rules. Even other rockets players get more calls than him. They will call more fouls when Gordon drives but the dilemma with Harden is that he may get fouled on every drive. So, they just don't call it.

12. dmoneybangbang

This. I love the Rockets but all that ref whining was very off putting. How we use the rules to gain an advantage is off putting for non Houston fans. It is what it is.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who cares as long as the Rockets win.

If the league doesn't like the way the Rockets play, they can change the rules. Until then they should suck it.

Easy and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. apatel123

apatel123 Member

How is it beneficial for one's own media career by bashing a sports team that's located in one of the most populated cities in America?

I'm baffled

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nobody in Charlottesville likes it either butt nugget

16. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

He says ISO ball is not fun to watch. He hates all the crying we do about officiating. He’s got a point with both. Has also said several times this season he’d vote for Harden for MVP.

I subscribe to his pod (which is always well thought out and entertaining) and will continue to listen. So what he hates the Rockets, I can’t stand his teams either (he’s a Boston guy).

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. The ISO game in the 90s was ugly. And they changed the rule. Now somehow the Rockets and Harden reinvent the ISO game successfully. Well, it's up to the NBA to consider changing the rules again to get rid of it.

Yes, this stationary ISOing is ugly and I don't blame people not liking it. Now either teams come up with something to stop it or the league change rules.

I didn't like Shaq bulling his way to the basket either. That was ugly basketball. Nobody complained that Shaq was what was wrong about basketball. And I don't like Giannis bulling his way to the basket and shooting 20 free throws. Nobody complains that the Greek Freak is what is wrong about basketball.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

lil mean girl at work again

ipaman, D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i mean yea, plus its common sense. Don't let the haters bring you down