1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets wait for other young talent to take off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstone, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Houstone

Houstone Member

Rockets wait for other young talent to take off

By Joe Lago
    ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- The young big man has showed flashes of being something special, recording double-doubles and swatting shots in bunches. Being a lottery pick, he figures to be a fixture up front for a long time -- a piece of the foundation upon which the Houston Rockets can construct another championship contender.

Yes, expectations sure are high for Eddie Griffin.

The Rockets' starting power forward in his second season, Griffin should be the perfect complement to Yao Ming. Yao is 22 years old and Griffin is only 20, so there'll be plenty of painful moments for the Houston coaching staff as the two grow up together. Youth and inexperience are the biggest reasons the Rockets may find themselves playing the lottery, not the playoffs, this season.

"We've got a lot of new guys," Griffin said. "I guess it's a learning process for all of us."

Mental miscues had head coach Rudy Tomjanovich muttering to himself during Tuesday night's 102-95 loss to the Knicks. Afterward, Tomjanovich lamented openly about his team's 17 turnovers. "We're young, but we've got to get better," he said.

Rudy T wasn't talking about Griffin specifically, but he might as well have been.

It took one lucky bounce of a lottery Ping-Pong ball last May to change the face of the franchise when a skilled 7-foot-5 center dropped into the Rockets' laps. Yao's rapid progress has altered the pecking order of the Rockets' offense, where Griffin now finds himself cast as a role player.

Griffin speaks of a better tomorrow, though, like a fellow 2001 draft classmate who has fallen on much harder times, Wizards forward Kwame Brown.

"I don't worry about it," said Griffin, who's scoring less this year (8.6 points per game) than last (8.8) but has improved his rebounding (6.3) and field-goal percentage (.389) a notch. "I know the situation I'm going to be in. And I'm going to do good. So I don't worry about it."

"He does a lot," guard Cuttino Mobley said. "He blocks shots. He can shoot from the outside. He's starting to put the ball on the floor. He's only 20 years old, man. I'm not a predictor. He'll be fine, though."

Griffin turned pro after just one season at Seton Hall, where he put up monster numbers to draw consideration as the No. 1 pick. Character questions (namely off-court clashes with teammates in college and high school) and the league's preoccupation with unearthing the next high-school gem dropped Griffin to No. 7, where New Jersey took him and then traded him to Houston for Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong.

While Yao gradually learns how to handle NBA double-teams, Griffin is trying to be the beneficiary of such opponents' strategies. On a team with Mobley and Steve Francis -- who each attempt 15-plus shots per game -- that often means playing fourth fiddle.

"I just got to learn how to work without the ball, move without the ball," Griffin said. "Because with Yao, he's good at finding people open when they're cutting. I just got to learn to make the right cuts. Once I get that (down), I'll get a lot more points."

"I know I'm going to get better," he added. "I'm not going to get down. I'm just going to keep working. The shots that aren't going down now are going to start falling."

The Rockets think so, too. Otherwise, they wouldn't have hung up the phone when teams called about Griffin's availability before last week's trade deadline.

"I love our big men, man," Mobley said. "(Soon), no one is going to mess with us. Because the mistakes they're making now, they won't be making later on."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still waiting.....

DD

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Yay! An article about Eddie Griffin!!!!

Well at least they didn't say anything bad about him. They must not know about his shot.....I hope he can develop somehow and utilize his strengths and not show his weaknesses.

4. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

"I love our big men, man," Mobley said. "(Soon), no one is going to mess with us. Because the mistakes they're making now, they won't be making later

I think this should only apply to Yao at this point. oh man, when you point out the same thing 10 times to the same guy and he made the same mistake the 11th time you know there is something no right.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nice quotes. thx for posting Houstone!!

can an Admin edit the title of this post to include "ESPN.com" in the title to avoid duplicates.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Griffin needs to seriously work on the mechanics of his shot. TMo did it in the past summer and has improved considerably. Griffin needs to do the same. He also needs to learn some low post moves and play smarter man defense. In other words, he needs a lot of teaching on the fundamentals.

7. carayip

carayip Member

Nice article. I agree that EG when he develops will be a prefect complement for YM. I don't understand why everyone here seeks the Kurt Thomas banger type. Think about it the likes of Kurt Thomas and Brian Grant are now all 30+, they would be way past their prime when YM fully develops and then we would have no PF. Let EG grow with YM and we will have a great frontline for the next 10 years. :)

8. PhiSlammaJamma

He needs some of that Larry Bird Arc. That would get him to at least .420 FG and 12 ppg. He'd be just fine with those numbers right now. It's not like we are asking that much. Let's go griffin!

9. sun12

sun12 Member

This is what I would like to see from Eddie:

.500 FGA, 10-11 shots/game, 6 FTs/game, 10 rebounds/game. That translates to 14.5 points, 10 rebounds/game.

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

eddie is becoming a liability...

his love for the 3 is a joke and he is a very let me stress very poor mans robert horry

will someone please tell him he is NOT a 3 point shooter??!?!?!

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

good article. nice find Houstone.

An Eddie article, dont know if I have ever seen one of these before.

12. sun12

sun12 Member

I think it will be good for Eddie not to shoot a single 3-pointer in a season. This should force him to develop his inside game.

13. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I really would like to see Eddie change his shot in the offseason to add more arc. His shot may suffer early on (I equate it to Tiger Woods changing his swing after he won his first Masters), but dang, it's not like he's shooting that high a percentage now. And the added arc will give him more rim rattling buckets. As he fills out, I know Eddie will be fine.

14. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

He is another Robert Horry, if you people cannot see what he is doing then you need to keep watching.
    He is doing EXACTLY what horry did, He shoots outside shots and does not really wanna bang with the bigboys for fear of getting injured.
    Horry never played hard for us until playoffs so he could have an extended career.

Griffin will break out I just hope its soon.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Good post! Better moniker. Are you from Atlanta?

16. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

eddy curry and tyson chandler have been putting up so decent numbers in the last two weeks, i don't know what lit the fire under their arses but i hope it happens with EG. those two play much more of an inside game than EG does, and go stronger to the bucket than he, but i think for these young guys, its a switch that just gets flipped at some point, its just having the patience to wait for it. i'm not overlooking the facts that EG has some serious problems with his shot selection and his release, but when he decides to start going to the bucket strong, he'll be ok iA.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good article on Eddie! I think we all forget he is only 20 years old. He has a lot to learn.

We all want his progress to be huge, to allow us to get into the playoffs THIS season because we have been out of the playoffs for the past couple of seasons. But in reality this "new" team officially started last year when we got Griffin and Yao Ming this year. We are very young and have a lot to learn.

The Rockets believe in Griffin enough to turn down a number of trades for him such as the reported Rashard Lewis trade in the summer and Shareef trade before the deadline.

It pains us I know, because we want to get into the playoffs this year and need his performance to be solid....but we need to show patience with Griffin.

Nothing would be worse than to press to get into the playoffs NOW and trade Griffin versus giving up on a guy that could be huge for this team for the future.

Chris

18. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think the best thing that could happen to Griffin, is if he began running cuts by Yao like Steve, Mooch, Cat, and Posey do. He's pretty fast for his size, so it isn't that hard to believe that he could do it.

All that he would have to do is dunk the ball, and that can't be that hard for Griffin... Right?

19. rocketsball2003

i love yao, but he isnt god for gods sake!!!... eddie isnt there for yao... he is there for the rockets and its fans... that goes for yao. francis, and the rest of the team

you must have mad yao disease...

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Instead of worrying about Yao's development or Steve and Cat, Eddie is really the key. We see Yao's natural progression and we already know what Steve and Cat can do.

If you haven't figured it out by now, we still need 1 more really good player (along with a veteran backup PG) to be a serious title contender.

Just imagine the possibilities if Eddie develops, we trade Rice's contract next year, Nachbar starts showing some potential, and we sign a FA veteran PG like Darrell Armstrong or Lucious Harris.

This team could become really really good, really really fast.

We have several opportunities to improve our team and if we "hit" on just a couple of them, watch out.