1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets, "the team every other team at the top of the West fears to play"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ds888, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ds888

ds888 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070228

Tim Legler giving us some props. Still not used to them saying anything good about us.

2. vmac

vmac Member

Wow, the media is really paying attention to the rockets this season. Nice to know the rockets are finally getting recognition for their efforts. Now what's left for the rockets is to prove Tim Legler correct by making some serious noise in the playoffs.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

that's just tim legler though, he's been harping about our performance without Yao for awhile, there are still ESPN haters out there.

I kinda feel uncomfortable with the praises now, especially with the last game still lingering.

4. blender

blender Member

It's nice to be praised, but the fifth seed in Legler's bracket would be the nightmare spot for the Rockets. That would mean they would probably have to play the Spurs, Mavs AND the Suns in order to reach the finals. Yikes.

5. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

I wouldn't want it any other way. The cherry on top would be the Pistons or a fully healthy Miami. This way, when we ask the other fans in the off-season: "Who's your daddy?”, they will promptly bow there heads and pretend they have somewhere urgent they need to get to. ;) :D

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It would be BEST POSSIBLE format for the Rockets (besides getting Utah in 1st round). They match up VERY WELL, with everyone EXCEPT suns. So having Utah/SA, Lakers on other side to try and take out suns would not disappoint me thats for sure. If we can just make it to playoffs with a 4 or 5 seed and fully healthy I see NO REASON, we shouldn't at least make it to WCF, I think Utah/Dallas/SA are all up our alley to beat, we have built a team that can beat any of those teams!

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

this is nothing new legler always praises the rockets he even picked us to win the dallas series in fact i think he overrates us just a little bit.

i want us to play jazz the most. its so important for us to get the 4th seed b/c i think whoever has home court will win the series. we CANT beat dallas even with yao and we sure as heck wont beat the suns. the spurs would be the next team we'd like to play but even they are starting to get good. all i know is if we stay in the 5th spot we'll leave in the first round again.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Legz has been giving the Rockets props ever since McGrady's first season here. He likes the Rockets, him and Jon Barry are fans of this team.

And yes, he picked us to beat the Mavs two years ago.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Jon's not a fan, he's a straight up homer. You can hear him grinding his teeth to not say "we" when he talks about the Rox or announces a game on ESPN with us playing.

10. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

It seems McGrady and he's stellar play has put the rockets on the map. this is the McGrady we traded for. a leader and a match winner.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LOL! Yeah, that's true. JB cracks me up, I love watching the ESPN telecasts where he's doing the games. He usually finds a way to sneak a Rockets mention or two in there, probably just to get on Walton's good side.

Seriously though, props to him for not taking it personally and hating JVG/the Rockets organization forever for cutting him in mid season like they did. I am still surprised at how much love he has for JVG, he seems like a fair-minded guy who understands the business and doesn't take anything personally.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I thought it a mutual decision. Could have sworn JB wanted to retire or why else didn't anybody pick him up?

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

It was not a " Mitual decision". barry had still had alot offer, but he was starting to be considerd a liabelity in Gundy's eyes. he was still puttingup some good numbers prior to being Suddenly cut.

14. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

Thank you, Mr. Mind Reader.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Of course -- he was putting some great numbers up there in the Martian National League. Too bad we couldn't watch those games.

Oh, I hear those Martians communicate by telepathy too. I for one welcome our new athletic Martian 3-point shooting overlords.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow we got Sam Cassell back???

17. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the rockets have matchup problems with the suns in the regular season. that doesn't necessarily mean they will have the same problems with them in the playoffs.

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

what else would you expect from a former roxs ball-boy :confused:

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Legler's pics sound pretty solid. If the Rox can't get homecourt they have a tough road ahead, even if they get the 4th seed they got a tough road. That said I've seen the Rox face a tough road and they still pulled it out.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION!

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait maybe i got the wrong guy but didnt legler place the rockets to finish 12th in the west in his pre-season picks? please correct me if i am wrong.

you guys bashed him then and now love him?

i hate the guy regardless only person who i have respect for on espn is ric bucher